guitar tone on new song

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
this might get deleted. i don't know if it should be here. anyway...a lot of us love playing guitar here, and there are probably a few gear heads (like myself).

the rip we heard was shitty quality...but, what do you guys think the weapon of choice (amp, grind...etc) was this time around. opeth has changed their guitar sound every album besides orchid and morningrise. they have done it again.

i love the tone on the new song. deep, very clear, smooth, and crunchy...my vote goes to a mesa of some kind. but, it still seems to have that warm mid-range presence that opeth has always had...(especially mike's axe) the main thing that makes me think mesa is the deepness, and the smooth gain.

AHHAHAHAHAHAH
thats the funniest thing in the world. man i laughed so hard when i read that...
anyways, spigot, are you being sarcastic in your sig, cause i never notcied you put my post in it, hahah.

I thought it Was Laney that he used much ....!!!.....could be wrong....or a Marshall.......again really hard to tell from teh MP3......eigher way...cannot wiat for the Cd to come out...PEAC EOUT

the_drip said:
sounds like a boss pedal to me.

I think its common knowledge that hsi setup has a mandatory code of "MUST HAVE BOGG GT-6"......ahahaha.,the guys were more concerned with Amps or amp heads........PEAC EOUT

well it doesn't relaly matter what amp he used. He uses the GT-6 as a preamp...so any type of tone any amplifier would have is instantly null and void.

i don't think they always use distortion from the gt-6 in the studio...effects, probably... i may be wrong...but even if they do, the amp still makes a BIG difference...its all about the voicing of the amp. the new recording definetely has some balls!

The newly found pair of testicles can be attributed to the mixman, Jens Borgstrand.....Opeth has a deal with Laney so their live sound is not goign to change much.

And I've messed with a boss GT-6 and currently ahve a GT-9 plugged into a 5150 right now. And both of them completely hide the 5150's raw crunchy tone. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not so good.

When I use the boss pedal you can't tell what kind of amp I'm playing through at all, just that it is loud as fuck.

the_drip said:
And I've messed with a boss GT-6 and currently ahve a GT-9 plugged into a 5150 right now.

erm, you mean a GT-8? Anyway, MA has said in the past he's hooked on the Boss pedals and doesn't really use the amp overdriven channels at all. From pics of recent shows, he looks to be using the new 2 x 12 combo amp from Laney with an extra 4x12 cab, but only the 2x12 seems miked up for live. I would bet they're still using the Boss pedals, but perhaps the GT-8's now. Guess we'll find out when they update their site for the new album.

waz416c said:
I thought it Was Laney that he used much ....!!!.....could be wrong....or a Marshall.......again really hard to tell from teh MP3......eigher way...cannot wiat for the Cd to come out...PEAC EOUT

d'ya think babelfish would add a waz to english translater if I asked 'em to?

;)

i didn't like their tone on lamentations at all...i heard from someone on harmony central that it was a modded jcm 800. i think it was way to muddy...i didn't like the buzzsaw highs either....even though they weren't piercing...their usual live tone is a nice light mid-heavy crunch, that is clear and cuts through nice.

the pic looked like one of the guys was using the toni iommi head.

fhare said:
erm, you mean a GT-8? Anyway, MA has said in the past he's hooked on the Boss pedals and doesn't really use the amp overdriven channels at all. From pics of recent shows, he looks to be using the new 2 x 12 combo amp from Laney with an extra 4x12 cab, but only the 2x12 seems miked up for live. I would bet they're still using the Boss pedals, but perhaps the GT-8's now. Guess we'll find out when they update their site for the new album.
mike & peter are still using the GT-6's; mike is now using a laney TT100 head and peter is using the tony iommi sig. but it sounds like they're using real amps in the studio, not the models on the GT-6.

fhare said:

Yeah, GT-8 sorry. Its in the garage.

katatonic. said:
mike & peter are still using the GT-6's; mike is now using a laney TT100 head and peter is using the tony iommi sig. but it sounds like they're using real amps in the studio, not the models on the GT-6.

well I'm sure they'll document it just as well as they have for the past albums in the equipment section of the website.

Best tone = Engl on Still Life. :headbang:

the_drip said:
well I'm sure they'll document it just as well as they have for the past albums in the equipment section of the website.

Fuck I want an ENgl sooooo bad! I don't care what kind, Powerball, Fireball, Thunder..

But yeah, money issues eh?

the_drip said:

yes, the still life tone is the possibly my favorite guitar tone EVER