guitar tracks EQ (HP and LP)...Do it in groups or each track?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
Since I can't search EQ (too short), I'll ask this here.

How do you guys EQ guitar tracks, specifically high and low pass?

I usually EQ and apply HP and LP on the group channel for my rhythms, using EQ on individual tracks or amps as needed.

But in regards to the EQ that ALL your tracks will receive (like HP and LP), do you notice a sonic difference in doing it on each track vs. the group? Part of me wants to believe it is better to do it per track...

well...that part of you is right.

specially if you double tracked your guitars with different amps and different guitars. I HP and LP each track, and EQ each one differently sometimes.
If i need to make adjustments later on in the mix to the guitars EQ, then ill do that to the Guitar bus.

I tend to compress the guitar bus but EQ on individual tracks. Since using the Fredman technique I use minimal post EQ - just bring up the off-axis mic until the upper mids are smoothed out enough. Sometimes I'll boost the highs on the on-axis mic if it needs a little bite. I'll use a really natural EQ like the Massey VT3 or I'll just hi-shelf boost by 1dB around 8k...

(I'm usually filtering at 60/12k)

There is usually a different buildup, especially on the low end, if you use the hp/lp on the tracks vs group. This can create phase-errors on worst case scenarios if you play or edit too tight. Also you need more radical filter or even multiple filters if you do it just on the group because of the amount of tracks create more low end energy.

I tend to compress the guitar bus but EQ on individual tracks. Since using the Fredman technique I use minimal post EQ - just bring up the off-axis mic until the upper mids are smoothed out enough. Sometimes I'll boost the highs on the on-axis mic if it needs a little bite. I'll use a really natural EQ like the Massey VT3 or I'll just hi-shelf boost by 1dB around 8k...

(I'm usually filtering at 60/12k)

And you filter the 60/12K on each individual track and not on the group channel?

Preeeeeeeetty sure, since we're working in digital, its not going to make a difference. And for me, adjusting one guitar EQ as opposed to 2 (or even 4) every time I want to make a change, is a hell of a lot easier. My guitar DI's are on separate tracks, then everything gets sent to a bus and everything is done in stereo (unless quadtracked, then obviously 2 buses).

Preeeeeeeetty sure, since we're working in digital, its not going to make a difference. And for me, adjusting one guitar EQ as opposed to 2 (or even 4) every time I want to make a change, is a hell of a lot easier. My guitar DI's are on separate tracks, then everything gets sent to a bus and everything is done in stereo (unless quadtracked, then obviously 2 buses).

But once you set your filer points for HP and LP those aren't changed much are they?

Morgan C said:
...for me, adjusting one guitar EQ as opposed to 2 (or even 4) every time I want to make a change, is a hell of a lot easier. My guitar DI's are on separate tracks, then everything gets sent to a bus and everything is done in stereo (unless quadtracked, then obviously 2 buses).

Same hurrrr.

When working with double tracked rhythm guitars (always), I send them to a bus and eq and lp/hp on that bus. If I was working with two different sounding rhythm guitar tracks, I'd more likely eq on the individual track. But for lp/hp, I do it on bus to save just a little bit more CPU and make things simpler. I don't see why you would lp/hp the two tracks separate instead of doing it on the stereo bus.

I say bus, but in my case it's really a folder or group in Reaper usually.

for me all my eqing is going on the buss. different sound setting on the individual tracks only by adjusting the volume of the different mic tracks.

HP LP before all ? For example, with Satson and amp sim. After cab emulation or first of all so all the filtered frequences aren't processed by all the vst fx chain?

HP LP before all ? For example, with Satson and amp sim. After cab emulation or first of all so all the filtered frequences aren't processed by all the vst fx chain?

if you're trying to emulate a true mic'd cab signal chain, you'd wanna HP/LP after the cab sim...but again, there are no real rules to it, so go for whatever you think sounds best!

Way to necrobump. And no. Filtering before you boost/amplify/cab probably isn't the best idea. Unless it's a shit DI, an even then it's rare. Any sim will be amplifying the input signal a few thousand times and won't nearly be as useful or practical as filtaring the signal after it's been made into tone.

I get my tones by dialing in the amps and getting the right mic position. If I have to do anything other than LP and HP, then I didn't dial the rig correctly. Of course every now and then you get an amp dialed in as best as you can but it might need a 1 to 2 db boost or cut in one or two spots most and again this is a rare occasion. Because I track all rhythm guitars with the same rig and settings, I do all my processing on a rhythm guitar bus. Now if you use two different rigs like different amp/cab/mic/guitar etc, use an eq on the guitar buss but also use individual track eq if needed to get cohesion between the different tracks.

There is usually a different buildup, especially on the low end, if you use the hp/lp on the tracks vs group. This can create phase-errors on worst case scenarios if you play or edit too tight. Also you need more radical filter or even multiple filters if you do it just on the group because of the amount of tracks create more low end energy.

Linear Phase EQ will be your friend in this situation. I still wouldn't recommend dialing in amps to where they would need separate LP/HP settings. Still even with the tightest players phase shifts wouldn't cause any issues as it is the out of phase relationship between guitars and the harmonics of the distortion is what gives us the sense that there are two separate (or more if quadtracked) guitars. If the takes were so tight that noticable phase issues did happen, then the guitarists need to play a little bit sloppier. I remember when that happened to Erkan when he was working on his album and he posted clips about is. If you tracked that tight you have more issues to worry about than eq making the tracks out of phase.

I´d also say, treat every track individually. Since the source is on a track, put the desired plugin on that track, that´s how the track gets affected 100%. And if it has to run through a bus first, and then on to the track, i don´t think that´s gonna make it any better?! I mean, that´s just my opinion. I guess if it works for you, either way, it´s all good.

well normally i dont use 2 diffrent amps on the rhythm guitar's. So i do everything on the guitar Bus HP/LP. Eq,comp i dont know if its good or bad. But definitely less cpu usage IMO