using compression on distorted guitar?

Set the threshold so that static strumming is not being compressed, but as soon as any palm muting has taken place, the extra volume ducks the whole signal. With slow attack and fast release, you get this pumping sound that exaggerates tube sag and makes the guitars sound as if they are coming out of the speakers to strangle you and also making it sound as if the amp is giving out in the pure stress of cranking it up.
I used this technique on slow chugs but doesn't work as well when the rhythm changes.

Have some of you tried to compress raw DIs, and then do the reamping? I've done it for shits and giggles once, and actually it was pretty cool, but somehow I forgot all about it. That reminds me to do it again, it'll be interesting!

I usually use compressor on lead guitars and for all FX guitar stuff, but ehh... Not on main rhythm pair! If you need more crunch, I think you have bad starting tone or then your EQ is fucked up.

I find using a limiter on the end of my rhythm bus can give the guitars a little extra presence if needed. It only works in certain projects like others have said.

Have some of you tried to compress raw DIs, and then do the reamping? I've done it for shits and giggles once, and actually it was pretty cool, but somehow I forgot all about it. That reminds me to do it again, it'll be interesting!

I mentioned this in a thread the other day. A few times I've limited DIs before reamping and it can work especially well on leads that need a bit of extra sustain or have some wimpier notes in there.

Well yeah, but plugins are a lot more tweakable, and you can't use comp pedals for envelope shaping that much, they were made rather for adding sustain and similar.