guitar VST noise question

X14Halo

May 28, 2010
Take a look at the guitar sound in the very beginning of this video:

sounds awesome right?

Right now I have guitar rig 4 (with the rig kontrol pedal) and rammfire. I realize picking presets and hoping for the best is not the way to go, but for every preset I choose, there is a very very slight noise coming from my guitar only when I hit the strings. I notice there is absolutely no noise in that video above. I have a very good guitar with active EMG pickups (ESP ec1000 LTD deluxe). I am just wondering if there is some extra piece of hardware I can get to eliminate that extra static noise and beef up my guitar to make it sound that clean. Keep in mind I can only play through headphones. Is it possible to achieve that quality without the use of an amp?

Last edited by a moderator:
The "static noise" most probably comes from dirty power in your outlets or from your EMGs picking up electrostatic fields in your room.
Ideally a guitar should only output a perfectly smooth white noise when you don't play any notes.
Can you show us a screenshot of that noise on some frequency analyzer ?

I don't think it is dirty power from my outlet because the Rig Kontrol pedal is powered by USB. I will look into this electrostatic field thing...

I use to use an old CRT monitor and record guitar parts in front of it. I could literally move my swivel chair holding my guitar and while moving the pickups closer to the monitor hear the hum get louder. I would situate myself in the room where I would hear no hum or noise before recording a take. Switching to led monitors has helped a lot but anything could be generating interference. Try moving around the room with everything plugged in to try to find the issue.

Hey, did you all watched the full video ?

At about 2:50, he speaks about some microphone robot, didn't know such thing, what do you think ? Doesn't it sounds like a great idea ?

Ok, so...I made a recording because I can't figure out what is wrong...take a listen:

here

compared to something like this ...

Hear how crappy mine is? This is using the "chorus rammfire", "pure rammfire", and "wide rammfire" presets in guitar rig. My esp ec-1000 ltd deluxe guitar is plugged into my Rig Kontrol pedal. I tried moving around to different rooms but it still sounds crappy. All the sounds on youtube of the presets are alot clearer sounding and I don't know why. That guy in the video above says its just his guitar connected to a M-Audio Firewire 410. How is that any different than my setup?

update: I also just tried switching back and forth between my new guitar with active EMG pickups and my old guitar that has passive crappy ones on my digitech rp355 pedal, and it seems like the old guitar sounds better...something is not right...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, did you all watched the full video ?

At about 2:50, he speaks about some microphone robot, didn't know such thing, what do you think ? Doesn't it sounds like a great idea ?

Sure it is a great idea and by a coincidence i came up with that exact idea many years ago but somebody else patented it lol.

Ok, so...I made a recording because I can't figure out what is wrong...take a listen:

here

compared to something like this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i768wrdQto

Hear how crappy mine is? This is using the "chorus rammfire", "pure rammfire", and "wide rammfire" presets in guitar rig. My esp ec-1000 ltd deluxe guitar is plugged into my Rig Kontrol pedal. I tried moving around to different rooms but it still sounds crappy. All the sounds on youtube of the presets are alot clearer sounding and I don't know why. That guy in the video above says its just his guitar connected to a M-Audio Firewire 410. How is that any different than my setup?

update: I also just tried switching back and forth between my new guitar with active EMG pickups and my old guitar that has passive crappy ones on my digitech rp355 pedal, and it seems like the old guitar sounds better...something is not right...

Actually the noise is not THAT bad... IMHO of course.
Just put a noise gate on it to kill it.

Oh and Dimi (i forgot his nickname on this forum) is a God of guitar and you know what they say... "the tone is in the fingers" and the video you linked was a finished product, so most probably all the noise was manually edited out at some early stage of the production process.