Guitar Worlds top 100 metal guitarists

My brother's got it, and I listened to it all the time before we both moved out. Actually, I think that's one of the albums that really helped me appreciate punk. I really should get it again.

Onto the Pistols issue. I see your point. Although they're still firmly in the punk arena for mine, now you've mentioned it I can hear elements of LA Rock in there. Not so much in the bigger songs, but in songs like "Problem" and "Submission", definately. And again, not so much in song structure, but in the "ornamentation" and guitar work. You still wouldn't mistake it for metal though.

I present Megadeth's cover of "Anarchy" as evidence. That's still a punk song.

spawn said:
Megadeth are awesome, but Risk and TWNAH were both awful albums made just before the band broke up, plus the fact that they never had a stable lineup for more than a few albums in the guitar department probably didnt help. Megadeth arent more respected than Slayer though, Mustaine has said a few too many stupid things, and only wanted to write metal again because everyone hated Risk. Not that anyone would have minded had TWNAH been any good but it wasnt :)

I think Paul Stanley is a great guitarist, he never stays still on stage, and manages to play everything pretty much note perfect and sings great as well!
Hahahah but its not a Megadeth vs Slayer argument here. I'm just saying, both Slayer and Megadeth are on the same level in terms of respect, influence and legacy.... both massive thrash giants who are worshipped and both have put out some of the most influencial and highly regarded albums (Reign In Blood, Seasons In The Abyss, Peace Sells, Rust In Peace..) So I'd say in terms of that, both bands are equal. So why are Slayer's guitarists higher up than Megadeth's, because as far as guitar skill is concerned, Marty Friedman and Dave Mustaine are miles and miles ahead of Kerry & Jeff...

Yeah you make a good point, Paul does indeed rock as a rhythm guitarist and is extremely tight live while putting on an awesome show and singing better than he did when he was young! Fucking VERY underrated vocalist! Not underrated in terms of not getting the rewrads he deserves coz he certainly gets the rewards, but in terms of being recognised as a vocalist he is usually overlooked and not taken all that seriously! And he is AWESOME! Have you heard the song "Time Traveller"? It's a B-Side left off Asylum I think, it would've been the BEST song on the album if it was on there, it kicks ass! And Paul's voice is awesome on it, as it is on everything he sings!

Motley covered Anarchy too, and Motley have always had a punk element. Yet it still sounded way different to Motley and far more punk than Motley. So I think there is a firm line between the Sex Pistols and the LA sleaze scene...

The Trooper said:
Motley covered Anarchy too, and Motley have always had a punk element. Yet it still sounded way different to Motley and far more punk than Motley. So I think there is a firm line between the Sex Pistols and the LA sleaze scene...
When you hear the first song from the Brides of Destruction album your opinion about this may change.

But as you said, Brides is a mix between the Pistols and Crue/LA Guns. So maybe they are blurring that line between the 2, but previously (and especially in the early '80s) that line was pretty firm I think.

The Trooper said:
So why are Slayer's guitarists higher up than Megadeth's, because as far as guitar skill is concerned, Marty Friedman and Dave Mustaine are miles and miles ahead of Kerry & Jeff...
Because Dave and Marty only made 4 metal albums and Risk, whereas Kerry and Jeff have been together from the start (over 20 years now).

That doesn't affect them as guitarists though. Someone isn't any better or worse as a guitarist because their band has been going longer. Bands break up, have problems, etc and its no reflection on a guitarist's skill.

That would be like saying in 1978, when Van Halen's debut came out and shocked everyone with that wicked guitar playing, that Eddie wasn't as good as Ace Frehley coz Ace had played on more albums. Who would you have put higher in a best guitarist list in 1978, Ace or Eddie? EDDIE!

Rust In Peace
Countdown To Extinction
Youthanasia
Cryptic Writings
Risk

Show no Mercy
Hell Awaits
Reign in Blood
South of Heaven
Seasons in the abyss
Decade of Aggression
Divine Intervention
Undisputed Attitude
Diabolus in Musica
God hates us all

Dave and Marty played on 4 metal albums, Youth and CW HARDLY being counted as the most influential metal albums ever, despite being good albums.

Reign In Blood, Seasons, South Of Heaven, Hell Awaits are all widely considered classics, as is Decade Of Aggression.

My point is that the number of albums doesn't make a lick of difference!

As I said, it you look at what it would've been like in 1978...

Ace Frehley:
Kiss
Hotter Than Hell
Dressed To Kill
Alive
Destroyer
Rock N Roll Over
Love Gun
Alive II
Ace Frehley

Eddie Van Halen:
Van Halen

But who deserves a higher spot on a best guitarist list? EDDIE VAN HALEN! I think you're getting best guitarist confused with best band too much! Who gives a fuck what band the guitarist was in. Some guitarists are lucky enough to be in a band that gets really successful, some guitarists aren't, doesn't make them any less of a guitarist though!

I think you're both making too much out of this, particularly you Trent. :) Basically you're arguing that two highly influential but less technically proficient metal guitarists rated higher than two other highly influential but technically masterful guitarists on a poll conducted by a magazine that, from the information posted here, doesn't show how the ratings were allocated. You realise that neither of you can win this, don't you? :)

Im not talking in number of albums, im talking about albums of interest to guitar players and albums that have influenced guitar players. You can make 100 albums but if they are all crap it doesnt matter.

Marty was only in the band from 1990-1999. Those Slayer guys have been playing since 1983 and still going. Of course Slayer is going to have more albums of interest because they've been going for 21 years rather than 9!! How can you judge someone as being better because they have been going longer?

I find punctuation over rated. Im scared if I use punctuation that it will slow me down and I wont be able to say things at a stream of consciousness level :)

The Trooper said:
Of course Slayer is going to have more albums of interest because they've been going for 21 years rather than 9!!
Precisely, Slayer are higher because they have more albums of interest.