Guitarists - Another question!

Katalepsy

Aug 2, 2004
katalepsy.741.com
Well okay, I'm just wondering what all you guitarists' preference is on neck shape, electronics, electronics configuration, hardware...And stuff like that.

So like, what kind of shape do you like the neck to be?
Do you like a wide (i.e. Ibanez) or narrow (i.e. ESP) fretboard?
Fret Size?
Tailpiece/tune-o-matic or Tremolo?
Humbucker or Single Coil, or a combination of the two?
Active or passive electronics?

I prefer a thin "U" shape neck, with a narrow fretboard, such as on an ESP (or BC Rich...Which is what I have), medium frets, tune-o-matic bridge. Humbuckers and active electronics. :)

1) I guess I'm a thin (not Wizard thin, though), D-profile guy.
2) Wide fretboard.
3) 6100/6000 (jumbo/XJ)
4) Neither. Hardtail - it's just more adjustable AND reliable and a tune-o-matic bridge. Not to mention it makes for more comfortable palm muting. I haven't tried a Floyd that's set to dive only or with 5 springs, so I doubt this is my final decision.
5) WTF? Two hummers-obligatory and obviously, middle coil-optional (and screwed down if present, so that I can use it as a dummy coil).
6) Passive. All the active tones I've heard have sounded cool, albeit not really musical. (This applies to humbuckers only)

i guess im a stereotypical shred dude!

1.thinest i can get ahold of(jem/wizard II for reference) d profile i guess
2. wide fretboards (1 11/16")
3.medium jumbo or x-jumbo
4.recessed floyds and nothing else....
5.dual 'buckers, single coil if im feeling friskey! :cool:
6.passive pickups with active electronics, by this im not refering to emgs, im refering to varitone-phase, series/parellel, coil taps/splits, boosters all in one guitar, go look at a 70's bc rich and you get my idea.

the guitar im getting right now will have an x2n tone zone combo with a 10x booster and a treb booster as well

1.) Thin, but not SUPER thin, and D-profile.
2.) Wide - I love my Ibanez.
3.) Huge frets all the way.
4.) I'm the only metalhead on Earth with a fixed bridge. And I love it.
5.) I have two hums in my RG, but I'm getting a Strat for my next guitar - the singles sound amazing for rock stuff.
6.) Passive!

..and
7.) Gotta have the 7-string! Wooh!

1) An ESP neck isn't THAT narrow (my strat's neck is still narrower), but yea the neck on my ESP is my absolute favorite. Its got the profile of a strat with the radius of an Ibanez style guitar.
2) I need to have 6100 sized frets, and I need my tech to put them in (his fretwork is a million times better than any stock fretwork you can get)
3) floyd rose
4) Two EMG 81s :D but my strat has YJMs in it.

goth_fiend said:
i guess im a stereotypical shred dude!

1.thinest i can get ahold of(jem/wizard II for reference) d profile i guess
2. wide fretboards (1 11/16")
3.medium jumbo or x-jumbo
4.recessed floyds and nothing else....
5.dual 'buckers, single coil if im feeling friskey! :cool:
6.passive pickups with active electronics, by this im not refering to emgs, im refering to varitone-phase, series/parellel, coil taps/splits, boosters all in one guitar, go look at a 70's bc rich and you get my idea.

the guitar im getting right now will have an x2n tone zone combo with a 10x booster and a treb booster as well
'Active' means it needs extra energy source (battery) to work. 'Passive' means it's based on attenuation only.

i like the wizard necks, nicest neck i've played yet.
passive pickups for sure
fixed bridge all the way (string through)
no one makes electronics that i like for the body shape- strat shape with no pickguard, but get that damn volume knob away from the bridge.
humbuckers for sure.

My Ibanez rg7620 suits me pretty well.

1) Wizard =thin
2) Wide (7str=very) fretboard
3) Tall frets
4) Floyd Rose
5 & 6) Humbuckers. The stock ones are pretty good (some Dimarzio stuff) although i haven't really tried to much here. I suspect i would like som EMGs.
I also prefer the ibanez way of bolting on the neck (ie no heel)

...and i can't live without the 7th string!

I wouldn't mind a maple fretboard however. It feels so great and looks amazing.

Many of you seem to be Ibanez people...I have yet to actually get into playing an Ibanez, I have only done so very briefly, on my friend's. I think that the only Ibanez I would buy would be a 7 string, other than that, I'm an ESP kind of guy. I'm thinking that after I buy an ESP and a better amp (Line 6 :)) I am going to save for a UV777, simply because they look fuckin awesome, and sound even better. :D

ibanez has some features that make us shred guys go nuts, that's why we like it. the most comfortable heel of any bolt on i've played and the thin neck are two reasons.

hey Katalepsy i have a uv i'll sell you. i don't no what year it is, but it looks brand new. if you buy it for 900 i'll sell it.

shredder487395 said:
hey Katalepsy i have a uv i'll sell you. i don't no what year it is, but it looks brand new. if you buy it for 900 i'll sell it.

Honestly man, if I had that kind of money right now, I would seriously buy it, but I'm COMPLETELY broke, aside from the approximately $4 in change sitting on my desk at this moment, and about $30 in the bank...That won't really get me very far. If you can hold onto it for a few months (So I can get a job and work for that much), I will DEFINITELY buy it. And if it's not too much trouble, could you post some pics? Thanx in advance!

Katalepsy said:
Well okay, I'm just wondering what all you guitarists' preference is on neck shape, electronics, electronics configuration, hardware...And stuff like that.

Great topic !!

In general, I like thin necks and average width fretboards. I am not ashamed to say I do some pentatonic blues stuff though on a few songs and with that style a wide fretboard is great, but that is on my secondary guitar.
I absolutely hate floating tremolas. My style does not use enough "weird whammy stuff" though I think I have a modern style for me to have to deal with the tuning aspect of a floating type tremola.
As far as pickup placement, I like a humbucker at the bridge and a single at the neck. I do have an Ibanez with a humbucker in the middle and I have used it in one song as a clean pickup, but I could do without it. I typically use a single in the neck for clean and that is good enough for me. In fact, I HATE a hot pickup in the neck. My Vandenberg had it's virginity lost early in it's life when I had the hot rail neck pickup removed in favor of a more mild mannered strat type single coil.
As far as electronics.... I don't "combine" shit. I like a volume, tone and a three-way with the middle being dead. Why turn a pot all the way down to avoid feedback when you can flick a switch and be ready to rock again with another flick ?
Fretboard material type ? I am completely unbiased. On my back-up "blues-type" guitar it is maple fretboard all of the way, but I honestly have played all types of fretboards and found each of them (rosewood, maple and ebony) to be equal though different in their propertiies.

Bryant

Neck size and shape it completely dependant on the size and shape of your hands. Too thick of neck/too thin of neck, too wide/too narrow of frets, and you can hurt your hands (CTS, fatigue, or lots of other things). So it varies for the individual, and my own personal preference is the standard Fender Stratocaster-shape neck.

For the bridge and tailpiece, I prefer strings-through-the-body, and a tune-o-matic bridge. I don't use trem bars very often, so I don't need one. And as long as you're not using a whammy, I can't understand why anyone would prefer any other configuration than strings-through, and tune-o-matic, as that provides the most sustain and control.

As far as pickups go, I prefer single coils. Passive electronics only! Active electronics = lousy tone.