Guitarists- What's your live setup? (and teach me abouts wahs?)

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
Just sent payment for an 87 GP1000. :heh::Smug:

With success before similar to what I'm planning, here it goes-

8 or 10 space rack with casters-

Voltage Regulator
Wirless
Gp1000
Intellifex or G-major
(pedals that are always on in the rack)
SD-1 or something (Bad monkey, tubescreamer, maxon something, who cares)
KK10 band EQ
BBE (A little can really go a long way but who knows)
(and if noisy) ISP G-string (pedal version of rack decimator)
VHT 2/90/2 (gotta love the KT88's right?)

Then out to a modified Marshall 412 (Gonna experiment with speakers but probably 75's) in a road case. Two modified Jackson RR24s (one being a white RR24M)

So about wahs- I really like them when they are used lightly, I hate that Kirk Hammet droning sound he has. I've heard morleys are great since they are switch less and you can control how much wah you want in your wah. :ill: The Ibanez Screamin Demon seems neat too. :oops:

My live rig is pretty simple.
Front End
Guitar (Jackson RR5 w/JBs)
Cable
Rocktron tri-wah (sometimes. I don't always use it. If I do, I run it on the regular Dunlop-style setting)
Ibanez TS10 (drive at 8 o'clock, tone at 11 o'clock, boost at 10 o'clock)
Peavey 5150 Lead Channel (Gain at 3.5, bass at 6.5, mid at 3.5, treble at 6, presence and resonance at 7)

Effects Loop (lead boost)
Boss DD3--Level=8:30 o'clock, Feedback=11 o'clock, Time=11 o'clock, mode=800ms
Boss GE7--frown shape, 100hz -10, 200hz -5, 400hz -2.5, 800hz -0, 1.6khz -0, 3.2k -2.5, 6.4k -5. Overall level, plus 5db.

Cabinet--Marshall 1960A, Celestion 75-watt speakers.

Note: I don't really bother with a clean tone. My other guitarist has that covered.

Pas 7th Heaven Custom http://www.pasguitars.com/index.php?a=custom&model=custom28 (seven string baritone custom made) -> Morley Bad Horsie Limited Edition #11 Wah(any body wants to buy it? signed and numbered by S. Vai; soon to be change for a Wylde Wah) -> V-empire Blue Rumble http://www.vempire-amps.com/index.php?id=8 -> FX LOOP TC Electronic G-Major -> Hughes&Kettner 400Wat 4x12 cab from early 90s.

When the wahs are concerned, the Bad Horsie is the best 'universal' wah. It sounds great both on clean and on distortion and doesn't cut off the lows. The auto on/off system is great as well. However, if you use only distortion wah, Wylde Wah has this huge roar sound in it, but it's useless on the clean sounds.

very simple ---gibson v-- samson wireless into ts7-laney gh50l (isp dec.)into palmer into board

I don't play live :lol: but my setup goes like this:

Guitar --> TS-9 --> Vox Wah --> Triple XXX with Rocktron Intellifex LTD in the loop --> Stock Marshall 1936.

@Necromancer:- You're gonna need the BBE and the KK10EQ to get any other sound out of the GP-1000 but the Bodom sound. It really needs some low end in there, and a lot of the nasty high mids taken out. Not sure which GP-1000 mine is, I think I have the 87 as well. Just to let you know also, mine never liked active pickups, it didn't mind passive with an active boost, but for some reason my EMG's sounded like ass through it compared to passive pickups. Also you'll need the ISP, because you need to boost the input of the GP-1000 a fair bit to get enough gain, so you'll be introducing more noise as well.

Guitar ->NS2-->TS9--> 5150 DD3 IN FX loop.

Simple, easy to remember. Don't fuck with Wahs!
students_kirk_hammett.jpg

But SRSLY The Dime Wah from hell is pretty cool.

I have three bands and the setup is a little differend with each one.
But it goes a little something like this.
Jakson SL1 Soloist -> Korg DT10 -> Engl Powerball -> Marshall 1960A
FX loop: Boss DD-6 delay and MXR M108 eq

I just ordered a TS7...

On side note I must say that I love what the MXR M108 did to my sound.

One of many guitars, into 5150 II with either a matching cab or a Marshall 2x12 with V30's - depending on how much noise I need to make.

I use a Crybaby Wah, an MXR overdrive, and a phase 90 out front, and I use a Boss DD3 and EQ7 in the loop. When I need clean sounds, I run an AB box into a second amp.

I prefer the switchless function of the Morley wahs, but I prefer the sweep of a good old fashioned Crybaby, so I've stuck with it.

Kramer Baretta or Gibson Flying V -> homemade Klotz/Neutrik cable -> modded Vox V847 -> more homemade Klotz/Neutrik cable -> Engl Blackmore -> Marshall 4x12

I hope to upgrade to Engl Pro 4x12 cab sometime soon... In the FX loop I sometimes use MIJ Boss CE3 and Marshall Echohead