Guitars and tunings used on Politics of Ecstacy

I don't know what guitars but i'm pretty sure all nevermore albums are tuned in D# and when they moved to 7 strings were still in that but flatted the low B down to A#. hope this helps you a bit.

Neal Kernon said it (and In Memory) was done with Pat O'Brien's Mesa Mark IV.
FWIW, I had one for 3 years, and could never coax a sound like that out of it. MKIV's are notorious for being a pain in the ass to dial in.

viva_360 said:
thanks for the posts guys.

Loner: For some reason the lamb of god guys love the Mark IV so much ....

You can get fantastic tones out of it, if you're very patient. Everything's interactive, so if you turn up the treble, it doesn't just make it brighter, it actually changes the whole tone of the amp. Very flexible, but it can take a while to get what you want...

viva_360 said:
thanks for the posts guys.

Loner: For some reason the lamb of god guys love the Mark IV so much ....

Tone quality is subjective. If it works for you, go for it.
That said, if you want a MK IV, prepare for the F-22 cockpit of guitar amps.

Have you seen or used the amp? Most of the tone controls are push-pull pots, so in reality it has about twice as many adjustments as there are knobs! They can sound absolutely awesome though.

edit: take a look

Mark4-CloseUp.jpg

alphacorvus said:
Have you seen or used the amp? Most of the tone controls are push-pull pots, so in reality it has about twice as many adjustments as there are knobs! They can sound absolutely awesome though.

edit: take a look

Mark4-CloseUp.jpg

That's only half of the beast, there are a ton of switches on the back as well.

Holy Krap ... that is really alot of EQ and calculations ... really not for the fainted heart at all. But you can get the best tone due to the knobs and switches.

viva_360 said:
Holy Krap ... that is really alot of EQ and calculations ... really not for the fainted heart at all. But you can get the best tone due to the knobs and switches.

I don't think so. Often, a simple signal path provides the best tone, hence the fact that people love those old Marshalls with 2 or 3 knobs.
In my own experience, I got a tone I loved within 2 minutes of turning on my Engl Fireball vs a few years of twiddling the MKIV, still not being satisfied with the results. Also, with a more simple amp, you're more likely to spend you time playing versus tweaking the goddamn amp for hours.

That said, it still comes down to taste. Find what YOU like best, and go for it. Just make that you spend more time playing than tweakng.