guitars shred pls comment

:headbang: A couple things:

-both you and your friend should work on your intonation a little bit. It could be that your guitars are not in tune with each other but every time either of you played longer notes it was very obvious that the intonation wasn't quite there

-both of y'all could use some work on your vibrato. Yours was either non-existent OR was very uneven and just....well it had that kind of Kirk Hammett thing going on as they call it.

-your timing seems kind of choppy. It was really noticeable during the phrase you played at about 1:12 (note: you can hear what I'm talking about with the vibrato right before thatand you can hear some of the intonation issues in the low notes you play right after). Generally speaking when people have timing issues during slow parts, they have the same problem during fast parts. You've got the speed down, but try practicing very precise patterns with a strong rhythmic feel. Practice playing accents and work on knowing where you are in relation to the downbeat.

-phrasing is another thing. All of your phrases start right on the downbeat, which makes everything feel very stiff. This is accentuated by the overall cut-and-paste feel of the solo. From a listeners perspective it's like "alright, here's my scale patterns. Now, this is a new phrase and I'm going to show you some sweeps. Alright here comes some more scale patterns". Another thing that would realy help is to allow some breathing room. I'm not saying this in a "solos aren't all aobut shredding" kinda way, but it'd be great to hear you break up your phrases a bit by adding some long notes, changing the dynamic a bit, articulating differently during different parts of a solo, etc. I like to compare guitar solos to someone giving a speech. Speeches are a lot more effective when the speaker uses things like accentuation of certain words and syllables, changing his tone and volume to add dynamic, using pauses, etc. Nobody wants to hear some guy talk in monotone. And one more thing....that slide-out to the upper frets you do at the end of almost every phrase. GREAT tool to use sparingly, it's little quirks like those that add interest to a solo. Things like that lose effectiveness when done all the time though.

- As far as your friend goes, just some quick things aside from what I already mentioned....his biggest problem seems to be that he doesn't even look comfortable playing, he's got no authority/confidence to his playing whatsoever. Perhaps it's just a bit of red-light fever (which everybody has at one point or another), but he just wasn't "on". He doesn't seem to have the technical ability or fretboard knowledge to execute the ideas he's hearing in his head. He does seem to have a pretty decent concept of phrasing, but it wont matter until he can accurately convey his musical ideas. His intonation was pretty bad for the most part and his sense of time (though probably cureable simply by working out his technical issues) also needs work.

That being said, you've got some pretty nice chops going! Though I picked on a few things in the above paragraphs, you've definitely got it in you to be a really solid player with a little bit of work in the right areas. Also, I apologize if it seemed like I went overboard on the criticisms or if I sounded like a prick for doing so, my intention was neither! I'm simply bored and haven't had a good rant on the musicians corner for a while. Besides, an accurate judgement of someones overall musical talent can't be made based on a 2 and a half minute youtube video.

BTW, nice choice of axes (to both of you)! A UV will probably be what I go with if I ever decide to take the seven string route again.:headbang:

Thanks man. My friend is my student and he needs a lot of work like I do for sure. And the guitars are way out of tune you are right.Also I would like to say this is far from my idea of a good solo but something I just wanted to simply play fast. Thanks alot for honest opinions...

I actually dont like the UV . YOu can dig a hole with that neck.

:headbang: A couple things:

-both you and your friend should work on your intonation a little bit. It could be that your guitars are not in tune with each other but every time either of you played longer notes it was very obvious that the intonation wasn't quite there

-both of y'all could use some work on your vibrato. Yours was either non-existent OR was very uneven and just....well it had that kind of Kirk Hammett thing going on as they call it.

-your timing seems kind of choppy. It was really noticeable during the phrase you played at about 1:12 (note: you can hear what I'm talking about with the vibrato right before thatand you can hear some of the intonation issues in the low notes you play right after). Generally speaking when people have timing issues during slow parts, they have the same problem during fast parts. You've got the speed down, but try practicing very precise patterns with a strong rhythmic feel. Practice playing accents and work on knowing where you are in relation to the downbeat.

-phrasing is another thing. All of your phrases start right on the downbeat, which makes everything feel very stiff. This is accentuated by the overall cut-and-paste feel of the solo. From a listeners perspective it's like "alright, here's my scale patterns. Now, this is a new phrase and I'm going to show you some sweeps. Alright here comes some more scale patterns". Another thing that would realy help is to allow some breathing room. I'm not saying this in a "solos aren't all aobut shredding" kinda way, but it'd be great to hear you break up your phrases a bit by adding some long notes, changing the dynamic a bit, articulating differently during different parts of a solo, etc. I like to compare guitar solos to someone giving a speech. Speeches are a lot more effective when the speaker uses things like accentuation of certain words and syllables, changing his tone and volume to add dynamic, using pauses, etc. Nobody wants to hear some guy talk in monotone. And one more thing....that slide-out to the upper frets you do at the end of almost every phrase. GREAT tool to use sparingly, it's little quirks like those that add interest to a solo. Things like that lose effectiveness when done all the time though.

- As far as your friend goes, just some quick things aside from what I already mentioned....his biggest problem seems to be that he doesn't even look comfortable playing, he's got no authority/confidence to his playing whatsoever. Perhaps it's just a bit of red-light fever (which everybody has at one point or another), but he just wasn't "on". He doesn't seem to have the technical ability or fretboard knowledge to execute the ideas he's hearing in his head. He does seem to have a pretty decent concept of phrasing, but it wont matter until he can accurately convey his musical ideas. His intonation was pretty bad for the most part and his sense of time (though probably cureable simply by working out his technical issues) also needs work.

That being said, you've got some pretty nice chops going! Though I picked on a few things in the above paragraphs, you've definitely got it in you to be a really solid player with a little bit of work in the right areas. Also, I apologize if it seemed like I went overboard on the criticisms or if I sounded like a prick for doing so, my intention was neither! I'm simply bored and haven't had a good rant on the musicians corner for a while. Besides, an accurate judgement of someones overall musical talent can't be made based on a 2 and a half minute youtube video.

BTW, nice choice of axes (to both of you)! A UV will probably be what I go with if I ever decide to take the seven string route again.:headbang:

Do you have anything of yourself for us to see or hear?

My advice would be to try to find a theme...create a melody to grab interest and slow down...less notes with more emotion. It sounds like you're trying to lay out some arsenal to impress as opposed to pulling the listener in.

Unless that was your intention...and in that case...carry on.

Just keep jammin' !!!:headbang:

My advice would be to try to find a theme...create a melody to grab interest and slow down...less notes with more emotion. It sounds like you're trying to lay out some arsenal to impress as opposed to pulling the listener in.

Unless that was your intention...and in that case...carry on.

Just keep jammin' !!!:headbang:

Thanks man. That was actually the shred section of the solo. I usually follow the same rouitine while jamming. First time I play a slow melody and theme and then the shred part comes in then end with some phrasing stuff and melody again.

Nothing at the moment. I was planning on posting some videos of my classical playing over the summer but the camera I was going to use (my mom's) is on the fritz and I don't think I'll get a chance to use it before I go back to school.

Nothing at the moment. I was planning on posting some videos of my classical playing over the summer but the camera I was going to use (my mom's) is on the fritz and I don't think I'll get a chance to use it before I go back to school.

I thought everyone who played would have somethig on Myspace or Youtube by now. It's amazing how many great shred kids there are out there. Being of my advanced age and responsibility, I could never imagine having the time to learn and practice those solos...but I give them credit. I'm glad to see there's a new generation of capable players. It will be a while before we see another dead period like grunge. Ha!

Long live the 6 string!:headbang:

yeah, it definitely seems like everyone does the myspace and/or youtube thing for their music now. In relation to the rest of my generation, I'm a bit behind in terms of technology:lol: I did have some digital recording stuff, but I had to sell that along with my POD to finish paying my ensemble fees last semester. I just don't have enough money to justify buying a digital camcorder right now either. I gladly accept donations though!

/end thread hijack

yeah, it definitely seems like everyone does the myspace and/or youtube thing for their music now. In relation to the rest of my generation, I'm a bit behind in terms of technology:lol: I did have some digital recording stuff, but I had to sell that along with my POD to finish paying my ensemble fees last semester. I just don't have enough money to justify buying a digital camcorder right now either. I gladly accept donations though!

/end thread hijack

Well...good luck in school. Where are you going? What do you plan on doing with a music degree? That's why I dropped out of Berklee back in '84. It was very expensive and I realized the reality of the difficulty of making a living in music.

I go to McNally Smith college of music. The basic plan is to do some teaching at least for my primary income once I'm out of school. In all honesty, I could be doing that now without doing the whole college thing, but I'm going more for what I'll actually learn and to get the whole college learning experience rather than to get a piece of paper that says I know shit. I'm auditioning for Carnival Cruiselines in the spring, so if/when that works out I'm just going to do that for a while since it pays well and I'll have virtually no expenses other than repaying student loans. That'd be a win-win situation because it's a great opportunity to travel and see the world while getting well-paid to play guitar a couple hours a day. Once I get done with that, my ideal situation would be to make a solid living off of teaching (hopefully at a college level one day) and doing session work while gigging as much as I can (bearing in mind that I'm the guy who'll take any gig just for the sake of playing). The only thing I'm torn between now is whether or not I want to quit next year after I'm done with my associates or go on to my bachelors. The tough part is that I'll have taken almost all of the same upper level classes to get my associates (lots of test-out/transfer credits) as I will if I go for the bachelors....so it'd really just be a couple extra semesters of electives to fill out credit requirements. Now, the backup plan to all of this (if things aren't looking so good after I've been out of school for a bit) is to enlist in the Air Force band. Solid pay, great benefits, a job I would mostly enjoy, and with the enlist bonuses and education bonuses I would get I'd easily be able to pay off my college debt and then some. I've also been toying with the idea of getting a second degree via online courses....but that's just a notion at this point.

How long did you spend at Berklee? I went through the full audition/application process myself. I'm very glad I didn't end up going there. 45,000 a year is WAY too much for a performance degree no matter how you look at it. That school is becoming more and more of a joke these days and everyone I dealt with there treated me horribly. You'd think a school that charges 45 grand a year would have just a little bit of tact in dealing with their customers. And a customer is exactly what they see an applicant as nowadays...student is definitely not the word I'd use.

I go to McNally Smith college of music. The basic plan is to do some teaching at least for my primary income once I'm out of school. In all honesty, I could be doing that now without doing the whole college thing, but I'm going more for what I'll actually learn and to get the whole college learning experience rather than to get a piece of paper that says I know shit. I'm auditioning for Carnival Cruiselines in the spring, so if/when that works out I'm just going to do that for a while since it pays well and I'll have virtually no expenses other than repaying student loans. That'd be a win-win situation because it's a great opportunity to travel and see the world while getting well-paid to play guitar a couple hours a day. Once I get done with that, my ideal situation would be to make a solid living off of teaching (hopefully at a college level one day) and doing session work while gigging as much as I can (bearing in mind that I'm the guy who'll take any gig just for the sake of playing). The only thing I'm torn between now is whether or not I want to quit next year after I'm done with my associates or go on to my bachelors. The tough part is that I'll have taken almost all of the same upper level classes to get my associates (lots of test-out/transfer credits) as I will if I go for the bachelors....so it'd really just be a couple extra semesters of electives to fill out credit requirements. Now, the backup plan to all of this (if things aren't looking so good after I've been out of school for a bit) is to enlist in the Air Force band. Solid pay, great benefits, a job I would mostly enjoy, and with the enlist bonuses and education bonuses I would get I'd easily be able to pay off my college debt and then some. I've also been toying with the idea of getting a second degree via online courses....but that's just a notion at this point.

How long did you spend at Berklee? I went through the full audition/application process myself. I'm very glad I didn't end up going there. 45,000 a year is WAY too much for a performance degree no matter how you look at it. That school is becoming more and more of a joke these days and everyone I dealt with there treated me horribly. You'd think a school that charges 45 grand a year would have just a little bit of tact in dealing with their customers. And a customer is exactly what they see an applicant as nowadays...student is definitely not the word I'd use.

I only went one semester when I realized I was wasting my money. It was half as much to go then...I can't believe how much that school is...that's ridiculous...it's as much as Harvard...ha!

They're money hungry. I STILL get junk mail begging me for contributions...isn't that a fucking hoot. As if I'm "alumni" for attending one semester. I payed 11,000 dollars and my dorm room was infested with cockroaches!

Well, at least you have a plan...best of luck!

Thanks! any and all luck is welcome. But yeah, actually being at school actually boosted my confidence in my future. It's amazing how many people are there because A)they couldn't think of a better way to waste 4 years and a considerable amount of money or B)they thought it'd be an easy ride. Just the fact that I actually have goals and a plan makes me feel that much more successful than almost all my peers already.

I know what you mean about Berklee....they are worse than recruiters!