guitars

Cenk

Anathemaniac since 1993
May 27, 2002
Istanbul
I'm thinking of buying a new guitar, as my old electric guitars (nothing great - an Epiphone Les Paul Special & an old Strat copy, both self-customised) just don't do the job anymore. I've set myself a budget of £250, and it's difficult to find a good guitar for that price.

The best one I've found so far is an Ibanez SA160 for £225 which is a high quality guitar with an amazing sound for that price. I'd ultimately want a PRS, but that's way too expensive.

anyone who plays the guitar here, can you make me some recommendations? are there any low budget guitars you could recommend me or if anyone has owned an Ibanez SA160, is it a good choice?

Thanks

Cenk

Hey mate. Buy one o' these. They're great. One of our guitarists bought one, they're not dead cheap but they are very good.

c1_elite_blk_pop.jpg

Schecter C1 Elite

c1_fr_blk_pop.jpg

Schecter C1 FR

achernar no offense but why the fuck are you advising 1000 euros + guitars when the lad is asking for LOW budget gear ( 250 euros )

I hate being poor! ok not exactly poor, but I'm not rich either! I'll still look around the music shops if they have those guitars and try it out. if I like it I would maybe think about saving more money and getting one next year or something. thanks dude!

Achernar said:
Hey mate. Buy one o' these. They're great. One of our guitarists bought one, they're not dead cheap but they are very good.

Schecter C1 Elite

Schecter C1 FR

£250 = 360 euros actually.

Lenore said:
achernar no offense but why the fuck are you advising 1000 euros + guitars when the lad is asking for LOW budget gear ( 250 euros )

well, the SA160 was the best one for that price range. I also tried some cheaper Epiphones, another Ibanez and a Jackson and some others, none of which were as good. I'll keep on looking though..

Achernar said:
@cenk: I like Ibanez but the SA series is not that good...

the best way to find a guitar which suits you is to go to shops, look for guitars which you can afford, then try the ones you like the shape. its hard to advice guitars, just go and try loads of them until you find the one which fits your hands spot on and sounds like you want and has a nice cool shape.

and i always recommend people to look after 2nd handed ones too. I can tell you, thats a good way to get a really superb guitar. I saw an Ibanez (one of the S serie) last week for 420€ damn good price if ya know that it costs like 900 new

SA160QMAM.jpg

Mariner said:
and i always recommend people to look after 2nd handed ones too. I can tell you, thats a good way to get a really superb guitar. I saw an Ibanez (one of the S serie) last week for 420€ damn good price if ya know that it costs like 900 new

SA160QMAM.jpg
hey! the guitar in the picture is an Ibanez SA160QM, which I can get for £239 (normal price £299 I think) brand new. it's the best guitar I've tried so far, though I might go for a plain black one which is even cheaper.

ah yeah i think you cant really go wrong with ibanez.

anyway i took that pic because it was the most likely to the guitar i saw, except that its sunburst was a bit in layers if ya know what i mean... cant find a pic :(

i got an ibanez too, its a safe bet and the sound isnt too 'metal' or anything, can sound well jazzy to or bluesy or rockish or whatever.

Get a second hand guitar, it's a load cheaper and you can get more for your money. For example you can pick up some kick arse ibanez' for the same price as that SA model, and a whole load of good old metal looking guitars that will play and sound good. Best to buy something that will last, and that if you want to fund your next purchase guitar wise will give you back the money you put in, whereas a new one will lose value as soon as you walk out that shop door with it.

Just my opinion, but it's gotten me a whole bunch of kewl axes for very little dosh.

I have an Epiphone goth explorer and it's first class. I know many guitarists (who can afford Gibsons) like to bash Epiphone, but over the last few years they've been improving seriously. The only thing I might change about it one day is changing the pick-ups to EMG 81's (too expensive :()