Gus G is the new Ozzy axeman

Glad that zakks gone tbh, his style has always been subpar to jake.e lee and rhoads in my opinion. Sure he can shread like a mofo and is no doubt a major influence on a crapload o guitarists these days but when i seen ozzy last year his 30 minute long solo made me want to throw in a set o ear plugs. The same minor pentatonic run over and over and over and over again with him spitting straight up into the air a lot...boring as hell.

As for people saying that ozzy has lost it he really didnt show it last year when he played Dublin. Everything was pretty damm perfect he was up to all his old tricks(got splashed by his water bucket) and jumping all around the place.

One question though, is ozzy's live band at present this or have i missed somthing?

Guitar: Gus G
Bass: Blasko
Drums: Mike Bordin

I was thinking that bordin might be out now that faith no more are touring?

So your theory is that Zakk just bullied Ozzy into playing songs he can't sing, that are (at least to me)sonically not in any different range than he was singing earlier? Seems to me that you just want to bash/blame Zakk becuse you don't like him.

Anyway, I don't get the point in all of this finger pointing. IT WAS ZAKKS FAULT TO MUCH PENTATONICS NO IT WAS OZZ HE CANT SING BLA BLA what does it all matter? My guess would be that it's not so simple that you can just blame the entire thing on Wylde, or any other one for that matter.

I think Ozzy can't find the Center and Zakk needs to reinvent himself......tired crap. Pentatonics are great but the riffs are getting old. get it right. who cares about the tuning.......there's 12 fucking keys available....fuck.

You really don't know me, huh? ;)
Zakk is one of my biggest influences.. i actually even have the official BLS-vest:

berserkin.jpg

(I WAS NOT DRUNK! I PROMISES! :lol:)

Im not talking about "the songs Zakk makes Ozzy play", im talking about the fact that Zakk is downtuning "Crazy Train" to G live, and there is no frikkin' way in hell that Ozzy can sing that low.
So the only thing im talking about is Zakk's way of destroying the classic Ozzy material by playing them sloppy, too much pinch harmonics and at the same time making it impossible for Ozzy to sing to them.

And im saying this as a fan to Zakk, because i think its really sad to see such a great guitarist go to waste.
Listen to his demo to Ozzy, fuckin' amazing playing on there..

Well, if you don't get me by now, then we'll just have to agree that we disagree! ;)

Where on earth have you heard Crazy Train tuned to G live? Any version I heard of from the last years have been in D. G would be completely insane, unless you mean drop G, in case it would just be very stupid. I'll withold further comments before I see this :lol:

Yes, but that was in the 70's.. and compare "Paranoid"(E) to "Masters Of Reality"(C#).
Even if you look at "Down to Earth"(E/D) and compare it with "Black Rain"(B/A/G) you'll hear the difference.
If you check live material where he is singing over E/D and then listen to when he is singing over B/A/G, you will understand what i am talking about.
I didn't mean to bash you or your statements nor have I deeply checked out any Ozzy live stuff since "Tribute". ;) I just wanted to mention it.
Edit: Oh, and i know Zakk didn't write the newer material, and i never once questioned the actual songs.
What I never quite got: Who writes Ozzy's stuff? I mean I'm sure he's quoted in the credits but is that for the lyrics only? Or does he actually sit down with a guitar and write some riffs?
So your theory is that Zakk just bullied Ozzy into playing songs he can't sing, that are (at least to me)sonically not in any different range than he was singing earlier? [...]
I'm pretty sure Ozzy would have an influence on the guitar tuning if it affects his abilities to sing. :rolleyes:
Where on earth have you heard Crazy Train tuned to G live? Any version I heard of from the last years have been in D. G would be completely insane, unless you mean drop G, in case it would just be very stupid. I'll withold further comments before I see this :lol:
Can't imagine G either...
Found these two (in D):

Last edited by a moderator:
KK DOWNING ON MAXIMUM THRESHOLD 8/8

This week (Saturday night 8pm EST) on the Maximum Threshold Radio Show will mark the debut of two of hard rock/metals most influential guitarists of this generation. Steve Vai and Judas Priest’s KK Downing. Show starts at 8pm EST at http://maximumthreshold.net
Also on the show will be Mushroomhead’s drummer “Skinny” (currently on the Mayhem Festival with Slayer and Killswitch Engage and Marilyn Manson), Swirl’s guitarist DT Jones (currently on tour with Ratt and Extreme) and possibly the bassist for Ozzy, “Blasko”.

To interact with the show you must me registered on the site and meet us in the chatroom.

Steve Vai will be on to talk about his new DVD that will be soon released as well as the music industry and where it may be going. He will also talk about what new musicians should do it they want to make it in the music business.

KK Downing will be on talk about the new live CD as well as being on tour with Judas Priest.

Tune in this Saturday night and interact with the show here at Maximum Threshold. Expect to hear some really powerful music this show. Plus there has been a bunch of shows to talk about that MT has attended.

What I never quite got: Who writes Ozzy's stuff? I mean I'm sure he's quoted in the credits but is that for the lyrics only? Or does he actually sit down with a guitar and write some riffs?

I used to have the down to earth album (got stolen many years ago), and I remember the songwriting credits had like 15 names for each song, most were a bunch of name I've never heard (at least by then), no zakk, some rob trujillo, veeeery little Ozzy. So to answer your question: a shit load of people I have no idea who they are

I'm pretty sure Ozzy would have an influence on the guitar tuning if it affects his abilities to sing. :rolleyes:

"ozzy" and "abilities to sing" in the same sentence? does not compute

i know this is half the point of online forums, but why all the bitching between each other about who's better than who or who ruined ozzy's live shows/recordings??

I personally enjoy both Ozzy and Zakk, together and apart. I think its gonna be damned interesting hearing Gus G play for him as i'm not much of a Firewind fan therefore the most i've heard of him is the solo at the start of Taking Back My Soul by Arch Enemy and Dream Evil's stuff...

Half of Zakk's downtuning is due to the fact he's so heavy handed, hence the thick-as-fuck strings he uses...

as for Ozzy not being with is the last few years, it was reported that he was on heavy meds for his tremor, plus the meds for that quad-bike accident a while back, you watch alot of interviews and appearances between the times he was on meds and you'll see he's alot more compos-mentos...

Half of Zakk's downtuning is due to the fact he's so heavy handed, hence the thick-as-fuck strings he uses...

Dude, that makes NO sense! Even if you have thick strings, they will loosen up when you down-tune.

So even if you have a thinner set of strings in standard E tuning, they are as tight as a thicker set in B or whatever.

Even if you are super heavy handed, it doesen't force you to tune down. You can get the same tension in by just choosing the right strings for the tuning.

I used to use a 0.52 as my E string, because I am a heavy right hand as well. I didn't need to tune down, I just got a thicker string for the tuning I was using.

can you get .68 gauge strings up to E comfotably?? i've always had neck trouble when trying to keep thicker strings in higher tunings...

i retract the majority of that essay if the answer is yes, as i've had so many problems with it, but it may just be bein the retarded n00b...

apologies to all for the pain-through-laughter

can you get .68 gauge strings up to E comfotably?? i've always had neck trouble when trying to keep thicker strings in higher tunings...

Unless you have a dual action truss rod its likely that you'll snap/strip the truss rod with that string gauge tuned in E.
However, i have a hard time believing that someone is so heavy handed that they actually need more then 10-14kg of tension in the string(52 set.).

I didn't think anyone using a 6string would bother with anything about .56 to be honest but the interviews i've read with him mention his string set, and his signature strings you can buy come in a near regular gauge or the one he apparently uses which has the .68 string...

I didn't think anyone using a 6string would bother with anything about .56 to be honest but the interviews i've read with him mention his string set, and his signature strings you can buy come in a near regular gauge or the one he apparently uses which has the .68 string...

If a 52 is tuned at E, and you tune it down to C, you lower the tension about 30%.. and ive read at several places that Zakk uses 52's on his standard tuned guitars.

Having a 60 set on your guitar will result in 45kg in the a-string, and id like to see anyone manage to bend that! :lol:

If a 52 is tuned at E, and you tune it down to C, you lower the tension about 30%.. and ive read at several places that Zakk uses 52's on his standard tuned guitars.

Having a 60 set on your guitar will result in 45kg in the a-string, and id like to see anyone manage to bend that! :lol:

again, removing my opinions from this thread intelectually, i'll leave my posts up for anyone looking for a laugh...

whatever happened to Newsted playing bass for Ozzy??

Well I know Newsted's touring with Voivod for now.

Newsted quit Ozzy after finishing touring in 2003.

Newsted the crazy metal loving hyper active bass monster played 4 hours a night during Ozzfest a fact that should be contemplated more, he was playing bass for Ozzy too and Ozzy was hell bent on playing the longest sets of his career, Jason raced from an intense Voivod set every night to get ready for the headline set with Ozzy, could you have done that? Only a man with his experience, super human strength and passion could have.

I'm sorry, a .52 in E is just fucking ridiculous unless you're on an acoustic and need the projection; otherwise it's just compensating for a small peen IMO! :loco: