Had a go with subtractive eqing, New full song (axe fx, s2.0, bleeding skies)

Sora01

how do mix ¯\(°_o)/¯
Oct 7, 2008
Aberdeen
Hey doodz, new song up

I used subtractive eq on this one, so mostly just cutting stuff i don't want off the guitars, and making it slide in, the result is a more organic sound, or it's meant to be, let me know what you guys think :kickass:

http://www.myspace.com/bleedingskies1

Don't worry, i use a soundclick player on my myspace :lol:

Enjoi!!

Dude the Kick sounds absolutely fantastic. It is a bit too loud in the mix to me though, and it doesn't really seperate very heavily from the snare (snare gets a tad buried at times, maybe try adding more crack). Still is that just a superior 2 kick? Sounds great.

Guitar sounds really good but not quite great. They fit the mix perfectly fine, but i don't hear a lot of character about them, it would be interesting to hear some experimenting about with it, maybe a bit more grit. Not neccessary by any means though, but could work really well.

Also as far as your arrangement goes and the layering this song is rocking. Great atmosphere and cool use of glitching. Awesome work. Really cool piece and the guitar tracking is really tight.

Cheers,
George.

Thanks man, I thought the kick was maybe a littttle loud, and i dunno, i think subtractive eq makes the guitars sit better, i don't want them to stand out in this one, when i'm trying to get that low end momentum sound :) :kickass:

As always your tune kicks ass! I've been doing more with subtractive EQ lately too. I like your approach but it sound like you've got some excess low mids in there. It sounds a little too tubby without enough solid definition. Can't hear the notes very well on the rhythms.

In conclusion my favorite clip maestro, if it were me I'd either let more high mids/highs shine though or I'd back off the gain till some clarity came back.

As always though awesome job, can't wait to hear more!

The kick is acctually replaced with a sample. and yeah the guitars do seem a bit high middyness but oh wells, i'm happy with the mix right now, don't want to make it harsh or anything by over producing it :)

Thanks for the kind words again! :)

dunno, i really can't remember! i got it from here! and mixed it with some others for the one i've got, i've uploaded the samples that i originally got from here to dropbox though http://dl.dropbox.com/u/678787/kick drum.zip

sounds pretty cool dude. I like the drums.

Not too big of a fan of the guitar tone, but it works.

Yeah! the new axe fx firmware update 9.00 fucked up all my patches, and i haven't gotten exactly what I want yet, I've noticed right now the mids are a little honky and the treble could be raised up a little, i could probably take down the mids on the bass too, all the parameters have been changed :(

Shameless bump.

Made a video for this song

And the new myspace is up, so check it out if you can :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Real good song i realy like it ,,, what setting and stuff you use on the guitars `??

Post or pre processing? This is the axe fx firmware 9.00, first time with it, i notice the mids are alot more honky in the new update.

Post processing is a little bit of compression to the low mids, hp 100hz and low pass 11khz. Lots of little cuts here and there, ranging from 200hz-600-hz and one small cut at 1.5khz or there abouts, and a small 1db boost and 5khz, then rubytube running on the end quite subtley

:) :headbang:

Dude, that's far beyond amazing! \m/_o_O_\m/

personally I wouldn't change the guitars too much, I really dig it.

maybe the kick is really a bit too loud, but it sounds great, the whole mix does.

and about the songwiting : :OMG:

feel like i've found a treasure here hehe

Sounds great, especially those badass drums, that sound very close to the drums on God Forbid's "Determination", which has an awesome production IMO.

Still i agree with what some others said :

- the kick is a tad too loud
-"I like your approach but it sound like you've got some excess low mids in there. It sounds a little too tubby without enough solid definition. Can't hear the notes very well on the rhythms.

In conclusion my favorite clip maestro, if it were me I'd either let more high mids/highs shine though or I'd back off the gain till some clarity came back."

Otherwise it's killer.

EDIT : thanks for sharing that kick sample. The snare is awesome also, is that Superior or some sample ? If it's a sample, please share :)

Thanks mago! :worship:

Ah thx dude it is the axe fx on the distortion guitar too ?

Yeah it's all axe fx! even the bass :3

Sounds great, especially those badass drums, that sound very close to the drums on God Forbid's "Determination", which has an awesome production IMO.

Still i agree with what some others said :

- the kick is a tad too loud
-"I like your approach but it sound like you've got some excess low mids in there. It sounds a little too tubby without enough solid definition. Can't hear the notes very well on the rhythms.

In conclusion my favorite clip maestro, if it were me I'd either let more high mids/highs shine though or I'd back off the gain till some clarity came back."

Otherwise it's killer.

EDIT : thanks for sharing that kick sample. The snare is awesome also, is that Superior or some sample ? If it's a sample, please share :)

Yah, I agree with those points, i can't really make the tone sound any better unless I retrack everything, because the patch I made was Just natrually a little over the top on low mids :( But I've learned for next time.

Also the snare is indeed s2.0. It's the 13" GMS Piccolo :) Lots of Reverb, then quite a tight comp, A transient designer plug, then gclip. Brings out all the pop on the piccolo :kickass:

Thanks again guys!

hey dude one question: are the toms also SD2.0? i yes did you do something to them? cause mine always get burried in the mix :yuk:

Yeah the toms are 2.0, I used some floorfish for a little extra click and just boosted them a little, that's all, they are helped by the parrellel compressor working the drum bus aswell :kickass:

Thanks mago! :worship:

Yeah it's all axe fx! even the bass :3

Yah, I agree with those points, i can't really make the tone sound any better unless I retrack everything, because the patch I made was Just natrually a little over the top on low mids :( But I've learned for next time.

Also the snare is indeed s2.0. It's the 13" GMS Piccolo :) Lots of Reverb, then quite a tight comp, A transient designer plug, then gclip. Brings out all the pop on the piccolo :kickass:

Thanks again guys!

Thanks for the info ! I LOVE that snare.

thanks mate, floorfish seems to help a bit :headbang:

still f*uckin around with the parallel compressor^^
no eq on the toms? everytime I try to EQ the s2.0 toms it gets worse, cause they sound really nice on their own, that's why i want to use them, havent found better ones yet...