Haken - Aquarius

Thonolan

Dec 17, 2004
Spain
Wow, this album is absolutely brilliant. Bought it last week after a friend of mine told me that it was the best prog metal release he had heard in years and I'm not dissapointed at all. Great songs with a wide spectrum of influences (they remind me of Queen in the sense they are able to mix many different styles in such a natural way). I'm also very glad to hear an album mastered in a proper way, far from the "loudness war" crap that seems to be plaguing the metal scene nowadays. It just sounds fantastic, crystal clear and very detailed. Nice artwork as well, representing the story behind the lyrics.

Hats off to Richard Henshall, who seems to be the creative force in Haken (may we hear some Hen songwriting in future To-Mera albums?), and good job by Tom with the bass lines :) . I'm not too enthusiastic about the current prog metal scene, but Haken seems to be a BIG breath of fresh air (even though I'm not sure if they should be labeled as progressive metal, since there is a strong good ol' symphonic prog dose as well).

Well done guys. Keep up the good work!

I'm in complete agreement with you here. The production value is superb and the songwriting is masterful.

I'd even go one step further than your friend and say this might be the best prog metal album I've ever heard. "Point of Return" and "Streams" are instant classics. And don't even get me started on "Celestial Elixir"...