Halo Of Blood Over North America 2014

PowerMaiden

To ride the storm ...
Sep 21, 2003
Montreal
www.ironmaiden.qc.ca
Didn't find the setlist of the first gig last night in Québec city online...I would love if they could burst out some new songs that they haven't played in Europe, although I doubt it. Anyone of these 3 masterpieces would make me very happy: Bodom Blue Moon, The Days Are Numbered or Damaged Beyond Repair... anyway.. going to the Montreal show tonight.. this will be my 13 th time seeing Bodom and I'm very excited.

I'll try to write you a little review tomorrow...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

I really wish they'd drop a lot of the standard songs too... From that setlist I could do without Sixpounder, LDB, AYDY, TDE, and especially Downfall and IYF. I'm sure they would like just as much as we would to play some different songs once in a while, why not do a couple different songs on every show? Like have 2 or 3 songs that are interchangeable and put a different song in there every couple shows, to at least keep it a bit fresh.

My idea of the setlist goes like this:

7072531J.jpg

Interesting bill last night at metropolis. first off was Tyr, it was the first time I saw them and I didn't really know them , so I checked out a few songs on youtube I thought it had potential but when they hit the stage to open the night it wasn't really doing anything for me. In fact a part from a few moments in their set the crowd was moderate on them to say the least. all in all I didn't like them.

I know they opened their set with Hold The Heathen Hammer High followed by Blood Of Heroes but after that I don't know theirs songs well enough

28l4dn6.jpg

Next were american thrashers Death Angel and they really started the night for me, they killed it with a solid 45 minute set that made me headbang and scream along with them... It was the second time I saw them and they were awesome, Mark thanked us like 5 times to be so into metal and he told us how much he loved Montreal and that they first played here in 1987 at Foufounes etc

2n9xj4p.jpg

1. Left For Dead
2. Son Of The Morning
3. Claws In So Deep
4. Succubus
5. Execution - Don't Save Me
6. The Dream Calls For Blood
7. Mistress Of Pain
9. The Ultra Violence intro \ Thrown To The Wolves

Next the headliners..the band I was there for... my 13 th time seeing them... now it was in support of their latest album 'Halo Of Blood' , an album that really really impressed me. Well they were pretty awesome as always, the crowd was nuts for them throughout their 85-90 set, so was my son and I. Me and my son screamed at the top of our lungs with Alexi all night. Henkka came out and spoke to us in french like he often does. To basically tell us that Montreal is their favourite place to play in North America. It was another awesome night but I have to say that even though I headbanged and went apeshit all night I was hoping for a lot more new songs (as I really enjoyed their new album) but no. They only played 3 new songs, the title track which is awesome, Scream For Silence (one of the only 2 songs out of the album that I don't like) and also Deadman's Hand On You (a good song, sort of a ballad that completely kills the mood of the show). Thankfully as soon as they played the next song (Are You Dead Yet?) the party continued. The only song I had never have out of this set was Towards Dead End and it was a dandy. Great show but they really need to switch up their setlist for the future.

314axsk.jpg

1. Sixpounder
2. Living Dead Beat
3. Bodom Beach Terror
4. Halo Of Blood
5. Scream For Silence
6. Hate Crew Deathroll
7. Lake Bodom
8. Follow The Reaper
9. Deadman's Hand On You
10. Are You Dead Yet ?
11. Blooddrunk
12. Angels Don't Kill
13. Towards Dead End
14. Hate Me!
15. Downfall

Encores:

16. In Your Face

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

...and also Deadman's Hand On You (a good song, sort of a ballad that completely kills the mood of the show).

Hmm. You could say it kills the mood, with the grand piano and Christmas lights. I just think the piano melody is nothing special.

The only song I had never have out of this set was Towards Dead End and it was a dandy. Great show but they really need to switch up their setlist for the future.

It was a regrettably basic set. Sixpounder as a starter is a NO, to begin with. I guess it's just getting hard to choose a list. But there are many songs that could be exciting as openers.

Not in this order but this would probably be my dream setlist:

1. Lake Bodom
2. Touch Like Angel of Death
3. Everytime I Die
4. Hate Me!
5. Needled 24/7
6. Chokehold
7. Angels Don't Kill
8. You're Better Off Dead
9. If You Want Peace...Prepare For War
10. Punch Me I Bleed
11. Roadkill Morning
12. Shovel Knockout
13. The Days Are Numbered
14. Damaged Beyond Repair
15. All Twisted
16. One Bottle And A Knee Deep

For me:

Warheart
Silent Night
Hatebreeder
Decadence
Everytime
Taste
Chokehold
ADK
Hood
Knuckleduster
Living
Punch
Roadkill
Nihilist
Halo

The time of the 16th song should simply be saved for even more atmospheric passages, instead of quickly rushing through songs.

It was my 12th time seeing Bodom and yeah it was a good show, but as many said, it's time for them to introduce some never-played-before songs or some rarities. And, as a drummer, another thing that bothers me is that Jaska speeds up several songs and when he does some fills he accelerates like crazy! A metronome isn't only for the studio.

It's annoying when you complain about Bodom not switching the setlist up when there are fans like myself who have not seen them live and want these songs included. Did you ever take that into consideration?

Although, I wish they played something off RRF, my favorite Bodom album

It's annoying when you complain about Bodom not switching the setlist up when there are fans like myself who have not seen them live and want these songs included. Did you ever take that into consideration?

they could keep half a dozen classics per show, every band out there do it, but all I ask is like 2 or 3 really rare songs to please people like me who has seen them a lot.

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Definitely each tour should include 1 rarity, to attract old timers and intense fans. Don't really know why they ditched Warheart.

Definitely each tour should include 1 rarity, to attract old timers and intense fans. Don't really know why they ditched Warheart.
That is what they do. Every tour (or season/year) has at least 1 more or less rare song they haven't played in years. Children of Decadence, Warheart, Towards Dead End, Chokehold, ...

So why don't they play some of the other good/rare songs?

My guess....because they would all have to re-learn how to play them.

Main reason I refuse to drive out of town to see them anymore.....I've already seen them play all this same shit. I wish they would do what Primus did back in the day....go on tour and play an entire album, in order, then play a few other hits after or before that. Can you imagine CoB going on tour and playing the entire Hatebreeder album start to finish? It would be fucking epic.

I guess it's so technical it's so much work to get a song down so that it has the groove and is played out of muscle-memory while entertaining the crowd or singing. Either that or COB are just too concerned about having the crowd recognize their songs. You have to remember nobody gives a fuck whether the drunk teenagers jump and scream in the front... the older fans are enjoying more silent, and just as much, and would be thrilled to have more exciting old songs. Of course it's important to play classics, but it wouldn't hurt to play Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood instead of HCDR, for example. Would it make people not come to their shows? Is that song really such a gem? I think you have must songs like SNBN, ETID, ADK, LDB and all this, but... Maybe this is what they think is the most exciting possible set.

Gonna see them tonight...would've love to hear Black Widow, Hatebreeder, Warheart, Kissing The Shadows, Deadnight Warrior, In The Shadows (a stretch I know), red light in my eyes (loolol, this will never happen), bed of razors, triple corpse hammerblow, Children Of Bodom(!!!!!)...ahhh sooo many possibilities!

saw them last night in hollywood and it was awesome wish tyr played a little longer set but they killed it death angel was amazing, great vibe and cob was awesome ftr was switch out for kts and angels was switched out for etid which was awesome

Review of the House Of Blues, Los Angeles show

http://metalassault.com/gig_reviews...yr-rock-sold-out-house-of-blues-sunset-strip/

And lastly at 10 PM, all was in readiness for Children Of Bodom to stamp their authority on this stage. One of the challenges faced by bands touring North America regularly is the set list selection, which requires to be kept fresh and different for the sake of fans that see the band every time they come to town. It’s great to see that Children Of Bodom have successfully managed to achieve that on this tour by bringing forth an excellently compiled set of songs that encapsulates the band’s two-decade long career and ensures fans’ enjoyment from start to finish.

Quite a few of the overplayed staples were dropped from the set, and there was a touch of freshness in the ordering of songs as well, with the anthemic ‘Hate Crew Deathroll’ coming in surprisingly early as the sixth song of the set. Children Of Bodom delved deep into their catalog to dust off tunes like ‘Lake Bodom’, ‘Kissing The Shadows’ and ‘Towards Dead End’ which were gleefully welcomed by this packed crowd with raised horns and banging heads. Critics often cite Children Of Bodom as a band that’s on-and-off with the quality of their live shows, but on this occasion they were very much on top of their game, nailing just about every single note they played and doing great justice in particular to the rarities in the set. Frontman Alexi Laiho playing the ESP flying-V positioned on his left knee with his head tilted towards the instrument has become somewhat of an iconic sight in modern metal, and Laiho put on a delightfully good performance last night, specially on the guitar. His flawless rendition of the scorching riffs and solos on songs like ‘Lake Bodom’ was in itself sufficient to send chills down the spines of the fans present at this show. Vocally he largely kept up with the demands of each song, and even though he was clearly intoxicated, he was very much coherent in his musicianship.

Laiho’s four band mates also fulfilled their duties excellently, with keyboardist Janne Wirman at his brilliant best in his duels and harmonies with Laiho, and also injecting some subtle visual humor with the shirt he was wearing, displaying the word ‘Taco’ in the AC/DC style font. Besides the older material which the fans loved every minute of, Children Of Bodom also threw some light on their latest album ‘Halo Of Blood’ which showcased a darker, more mature and wintery vibe in comparison to the thrashier, more angsty tunes of the early years. ‘Dead Man’s Hand On You’ from this new album was by far the slowest song of the set and brought forth a different facet of Bodom’s musicianship. Then of course some of the typical Bodom ‘classics’ were also played, as they ended the night with ‘Hate Me!’, ‘Downfall’ and an encore performance of ‘In Your Face’.

Overall, this was arguably the best Children Of Bodom show Los Angeles has seen, at least in recent times, and even for people who might feel jaded towards Bodom simply because of the number of times they’ve seen them, this tour is worth attending because Bodom have chosen a brilliant set list, and more importantly, are doing a great job executing it on stage. For new fans and people who’ve never seen the band, this is an ideal first experience, and for longtime fans it’s a reaffirmation of faith in every sense.

Set List:
01. Sixpounder
02. Living Dead Beat
03. Bodom Beach Terror
04. Halo Of Blood
05. Scream For Silence
06. Hate Crew Deathroll
07. Lake Bodom
08. Kissing The Shadows
09. Dead Man’s Hand on You
10. Are You Dead Yet?
11. Blooddrunk