HammerFall announce 8th studio album

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
In just two weeks, Sweden's most successful Heavy Metal band HAMMERFALL will enter the studio to record the follow up to their gold album "No Sacrifice, No Victory". The songwriting is almost finished, and guitarist Oscar Dronjak reveals: "The new material contains a lot of fresh ways to look at the musical ideas, we're trying to preserve the essence of what HammerFall is while at the same time updating the execution and approach. Definitely heavier and less straight forward than the previous albums, yet remaining true to what we believe heavy metal is all about."

Expect the unexpected! The quintet also decided to work with a new producer, which is significant since the last four albums have been produced by Charlie Bauerfeind. The choice fell on James Michael, who recently worked with MÖTLEY CRÜE, SCORPIONS, MEAT LOAF and others. James Michael comments: “We are about to make a fantastic album. The band is firing on all cylinders and I am excited to be part of this project."

Oscar Dronjak explains: "Working with James Michael is going to be very, very exciting. The two Mötley Crüe album James has been involved in (songwriter on "New Tattoo" and songwriter/producer on "Saints Of Los Angeles") are great, and easily stack up against the classic albums of the 80's. That, and the fact that HammerFall have used the same producer (Charlie Bauerfeind) since 2002 has me very psyched about this collaboration, it will automatically bring a freshness to the proceedings! A lot of what HF was got refined when we started working with Charlie, and I'm sure we'll get a similar kind of reaction here. Sort of like a kick in the ass, to get going in the right direction.”

Vocalist Joacim Cans adds another important aspect: "I see James Michael as one of my favorite singers of today and his work with SIXX:AM is simply fantastic. Not only is the album one of the best ever made production-wise, but James also delivers a vocal performance that most singers today are not capable of. James will be the perfect co-producer for us and I really think he will be able to get me up a notch in the vocal department"

The yet untitled record will be released in Europe on May 20th.

- source

Excellent stuff! :headbang: What an influx of metal albums recently! Sounds like they're breaking the formula and taking a different direction which should be interesting.

Should be cool to find out how it compares to their previous records. I don't think they've done a bad album yet and although their last album is good, I think they can do better.

Interesting! I haven't really paid much attention since Glory to the Brave/Legacy of Kings days. I did buy Crimson Thunder and Chapter V but I can't remember the last time I listened to them but I was spinning Legacy of Kings in the car only last week.

Never been big on Hammerfall, hopefully the single is better than Any Means Necessary... yuck.

HammerFall are quintessential power metal. Have enjoyed everything they've done, although the latest album was largely unmemorable ("by any means necessary" is too much of a mouthful for a catchy chorus). Threshold was magnificent though, spellbound this forum for a while back in 06.

This has slipped my mind! This album was named "Infected". A single "One More Time" was released on April 6, 2011:

Album art:

hammerfall-infected-new.jpg

Track listing:

1. "Patient Zero"
2. "Bang Your Head"
3. "One More Time"
4. "The Outlaw"
5. "Send Me A Sign"
6. "Dia De Los Muerto"
7. "I Refuse"
8. "666 - The Enemy Within"
9. "Immortalized"
10. "Let's Get It On"
11. "Redemption"

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's interesting to see my post last November from this thread because I think my opinion of Hammerfall has changed quite significantly since.

In terms of standing the test of time, I think only a handful of songs, plus pretty much all the Legacy of Kings album do so for me. I don't think I could call them "quintessential" (taken that from Dom's post, as I did agree with it at the time!) Power Metal anymore, because I simply don't find them even half as enjoyable as most bands that could make such a claim, as well as other Power Metal bands that are simply better anyway.

When I saw them live in May last year, they were average at best, especially compared to Dream Evil, who were on before them and put on a significantly better performance in pretty much every department.

As for the new album, I'm all for bands trying new ideas but the Zombie theme just doesn't suit Hammerfall in the slightest. Maybe when I give the full album a listen it'll be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm pretty unimpressed by "One More Time".

I'd defend their 'legacy' ;) but yeah there has been a marked decline in the quality of their stuff in recent years. Too samey, too well-trodden, too familiar and simplistic/formulaic. Stefan leaving mightn't have done them any favours in this regard but maybe the rest of the new album will be a pleasant surprise.

I'm pretty unimpressed by "One More Time".

Pretty much share the same sentiment.

Never really liked HammerFall. They got a few cool songs, but don't think they're that great. And can't stand Joacim's voice, he needs more power to me. But will probably check this out on spotify or something. Since their last album i'm way to scared to buy it before listen to it.

If i'm not mistaken that's the album with "At the end of the Rainbow"? That song is pretty awesome...I like about 2-3 songs from each album, expect those I just get annoyed when i hear HF, not sure why, but really feels like they need more power.

Boaring and uninspired...pretty much sums it up for me.

And as for the zombie theme, I personally like it, think Hammerfall need something new like that. As dom said, "Sounds like they're breaking the formula and taking a different direction which should be interesting." but hearing it...meh, sound ok i guess, but as kingface said, too boaring and uninspired