Hard drive defragging + Macs

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
I may just be stupid, but for some reason I can't figure out how to defrag a hard drive on my Mac, OSX if it matters. Can anyone enlighten me?

Yes PC users, feel free to post this ":heh:" all you want.

I'm a PC user... so :heh:

but at the same time.. supporting Avid products means you need to know macs..

as far as I've been able to tell up until this point.. you don't defrag mac drives. The only regular maintenance I usually recommend is to repair permissions from the Apple Disk Utility.

Someone else can chime in if they actually know a way to defrag a mac drive.. but I don't think macs suffer any performance degradation due to disk fragmentation.

Yea, it's not necessary on your startup drive (where Mac OSX lives), but it's a good idea on your audio drive if on a separate partition or drive. You would need a third party app such as techtool pro to do it though....
or you could just back up the files on your audio drive to cd or whatever and then just erase it with disk utility, load the backup onto the clean drive and then off you go. That is a cleaner way to do it.

Even with a session with hundreds of edits/punches (Logic 7) in 24/48, I've never had my disk array become a bottleneck, and hence, never needed to defrag. I'd pay more attention to keeping my case dust free, and running the built in maintenance when I can ( http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html ). I have worked as a Mac/Unix tech, and would advise that type of maintenance over defragging, unless you have a problem that needs to be solved by a defrag.

Even with a session with hundreds of edits/punches (Logic 7) in 24/48, I've never had my disk array become a bottleneck, and hence, never needed to defrag. I'd pay more attention to keeping my case dust free, and running the built in maintenance when I can ( http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html ). I have worked as a Mac/Unix tech, and would advise that type of maintenance over defragging, unless you have a problem that needs to be solved by a defrag.

Thanks for the knowledge! I had no idea about the built in maintenance thing, so it's probably a good idea I did it because I turn my computer off every night and very rarely does it ever run when I'm not running an audio session.