Hardcore/metal mix

Hehe i recognize this track i've heard it on the band's myspace page a few days ago.

It's good to see somebody from St. Hood. / Down my throat posting something on this forum... cuz' both bands rule !

The mix sounds alright to me. I'd prefer a less "polished" guitar tone (i dig more the ENGL tones i.e not so much gain, balls, tight as fuck, edgy, ... and i'm not a hug fan of the modern "5150 metalcore" guitar tone), but that's just a matter of personal taste (i'm listening to Merauder's "Master Killer" now and even if this album is kinda old the guitars sound very crushing/ballsy/brutal to me.

Talking about Merauder, i can hear some Merauder influence in your music (for both Down my throat and St. Hood.), am i right ? :)

Hey,
Glad to hear you like our stuff! I know what you mean about the guitars. With this kind of hardcore it's always hard for me to decide which way to go with the overall production.. the more raw or more polished modern metalcore, but I wanted to make this a bit more polished and I'm personally quite happy with it. Actually, the engl E530 preamp we used, sounds more like "crunchy rock amp" compared to the high gain heads.

Merauder has been a pretty big inflluence for us :-D, so you can naturally hear that especially in DMT. I don't know about St.Hood because I just joined the band and haven't been writing any stuff for them yet, but I'm sure those guys have listened to them more than once ;-).

Hey,
Glad to hear you like our stuff! I know what you mean about the guitars. With this kind of hardcore it's always hard for me to decide which way to go with the overall production.. the more raw or more polished modern metalcore, but I wanted to make this a bit more polished and I'm personally quite happy with it. Actually, the engl E530 preamp we used, sounds more like "crunchy rock amp" compared to the high gain heads.

Merauder has been a pretty big inflluence for us :-D, so you can naturally hear that especially in DMT. I don't know about St.Hood because I just joined the band and haven't been writing any stuff for them yet, but I'm sure those guys have listened to them more than once ;-).

I really like your stuff actually and i really regret that i have missed some of your shows when i was living in Finland (in Tampere exactly) (both DMT and St. Hood i mean). You have some pretty good hardcore/metal bands down there (especially the Fullhouse Records / Lähti bands).

About the production it sounds great still, the "raw vs polished" guitar tone is more a matter of personal taste.

I also think that the Merauder (one of my fav. bands) influence is one of the reason i love both DMT and St. Hood (even if both bands have strong personalities and can definitely not be considered as "Merauder rip-offs").

sounds awesome man.. shed any light on the mix?
did you trigger the kit at all?
i'd be really interested to get an insight into your guitar tone mixing(eq), bass eq and maybe overall mix? did you apply a master eq ?
It sounds good imho, my only gripe is that the vocals are a bit loud i think.. but thats just my opinion

sounds awesome man.. shed any light on the mix?
did you trigger the kit at all?
i'd be really interested to get an insight into your guitar tone mixing(eq), bass eq and maybe overall mix? did you apply a master eq ?
It sounds good imho, my only gripe is that the vocals are a bit loud i think.. but thats just my opinion

Hi, Thanks for listening!

I used samples to complement the original drum sounds. Kick is 95% sample. I just used the low end of the original, because the raw kick sound was the crappiest I've ever encountered :-D. Slate 15z3 and 10z2 (mainly this one) if I remember correctly. 100%dynamics to make it as "real" sounding as possible. I don't remember the snare samples, but they were slate samples. Main sample propably sn10z1. Also 1 other sample + Z4 + original top. Didn't use the bottom mic in the mix. Ohs were really thin and unnatural sounding IMO and were a pain in the ass to mix (all cymbals close miced from underneath). Toms are enhanced with Chimaira toms, but they're very low in the mix (It would have been ok without them). Used URS CSP and Massey tape-head on drum buss and those really brought the kit alive IMO.

Guitar tone is pretty much raw. Very very little eq on guitars (I used URS CSP eqs). I took away some low mids and also around that nasty 3k area. I really liked the guitar sounds so no need to eq them much. Bass was not that good originally (cheap bass with old strings), so we processed the DI track with ampeg svx plugin at the studio... I'm not that happy with the bass but it sits in the mix well enough :).

IIRC I had Massey vt3 eq on the master bus... just added highs a bit. Btw. with this plug, even the default "everything at zero" settings clearly change the sound (makes it a bit smoother...).

I hope this helps.

Sorry for old thread resurrection, but for some reason i missed the last St. Hood (i loved the first album) album release and just found out and listened to it in the past few weeks and it's killer stuff.

Any plans for future recordings ? Or playing in Paris ? :)

Is Down My Throat still dead ?

Any other bands related to you (nuclearass) or DMT/St.Hood ?