harmonizing

IntoTheAbyss

Choke on your Lies
Nov 1, 2003
usa
www.myspace.com
ive been writing my own music for about 2 years now..... i kinda found a little trick to harmonize over a lead or rythem if its single notes like if you are using a keyboard.... if your using tabs like most ppl do then all you do is write your lead part down..... and whatever numbers you got on your lead add or subtract 7...and go 1 string up or down depending on what you need..... i dunno why but for me it sounds pretty cool.....any one have any other tricks or formulas to harmonizing???

IntoTheAbyss said:
ive been writing my own music for about 2 years now..... i kinda found a little trick to harmonize over a lead or rythem if its single notes like if you are using a keyboard.... if your using tabs like most ppl do then all you do is write your lead part down..... and whatever numbers you got on your lead add or subtract 7...and go 1 string up or down depending on what you need..... i dunno why but for me it sounds pretty cool.....any one have any other tricks or formulas to harmonizing???
That's cos you're getting fifths and fourths. See:

If you go up seven frets, that's a perfect fifth.
If you go up seven frets and one string, that's an octave.
If you just go up or down one string, that's a perfect fourth (you always name the harmony from the lowest note), EXCEPT:
If you go up from the third to the second string, that's a major third.

Try writing a lick in a minor key, then moving the thing three steps up the scale and playing them in harmony (e.g. B D F# -> D F# A) - very nice sound. Maybe move the second version up 12 frets (1 octave).

If you want to harmonize a line you can use any chord wich contains the note you are harmonizing. There are coertain principles you should check out first (mainly to know wich type of chord it is)
Ex: Suppose we are in A minor... the lead line goes
C-B-A
To harmonize C you first check wich chord inculdes C (in A minor scale)
So we have I- A minor (A-C-E) wich C is the third
III- C major (C-E-G) C is the root
VI- F major (F-A-C) C is the perf.fifth
IV7-D maj7 (D-F-A-C) C is the seventh
(This last comes from Melodic A minor scale )

Then you have counterpoint... that´s when you intend to play one notes againts the lead line-- so that means two lead lines... Well, this is a looooong and very interesting topic investigate, since you can learn a lot more tricks rather than to duplicate a third, fifth or ocatves below /above..

Reactions: Pallas Athenea
ive been playin guitar for about 10 years.but! only started taking it seriously for about 5 years......and im just trying to learn some theory and whatnot.....i took lessons after i allready know how to play lol the guy asked me i dunno wtf to teach you then...i learned notes/scales/modes/proper finger placement for chords.... anyways... harmonizing is pretty aweseome sounding ..... the songs i have been writing lately has a heavy rythem with 2 lead lines and a keyboard line and its gettin frustrating cuz the keyboard and 3rd guitar are the same notes over the lead. thanks for your input guys!!! :Smokedev:

Counterpoint is a very complex discipline, but equally as rewarding. I started getting into it a while ago and it is very interesting and useful in some kinds of metal.

IntoTheAbyss: About that song of yours... Try playing a different melody with the 3rd guitar, or maybe follow the chord progression with some arpeggios.

i was trying to tab out a song last night......it was a keyboard intro off the Hypocrisy self title album...Fractured Millenium...anyways i figured out the beginning, BUT, i only figured it out on the keyboard the first 2 notes are key6D C and key 6S D which are right next to each other, anyways how do you figure out where key 6 is on a guitar???

IntoTheAbyss said:
i was trying to tab out a song last night......it was a keyboard intro off the Hypocrisy self title album...Fractured Millenium...anyways i figured out the beginning, BUT, i only figured it out on the keyboard the first 2 notes are key6D C and key 6S D which are right next to each other, anyways how do you figure out where key 6 is on a guitar???
I don't know what you mean by "key 6", but anyway... white keys are natural notes, black keys are sharp/flat notes.

Obviously, because there's no B# and no E#, there's no black key between the B/C and E/F keys.

I find my hesitant way around a keyboard based on the knowledge that there are two black keys to the left of an E, and three black keys to the left of a B. E and B are easily found because they're both the first of a white pair. Once you've figured out the names of the notes, you can translate it to guitar quite easily just by counting frets.

I don't know what you mean by "key 6", but anyway... white keys are natural notes, black keys are sharp/flat notes.

thats what "key" its played in, the notes are C and D ..... i know all of the notes on a keyboard :p just having trouble transcribing keyboard notes into guitar tabs :erk:

if you want to harmonize somthing, and use a modulation like change keys you can do this

take the circ of 5ths and take the 2 nots next to it

lets take the key of C we have

F C G

and also

Dm Am Em

just play the same notes in another key using this method and its easy to harmonize