I have a four questions about panning. if you don't mind.

Det Som Engang Var

Viking Bastard
Jun 3, 2005
Houston, TX
Should clean rythem guitars be panned 50/50 like distorted ones? Is there any difference if you're just note picking or strumming chords?

Should vocals always be dead center?

Lead guitar solos, should they be panned center or 50/50?

And what if I was like, tremelo picking over over rythem guitars. Center or 50/50?

Thank you! I'm working on a new Empiric track I've been messing with in my head for a few years. And Dan made me realize the importance of mastering, so I learned how to do that.

In all honesty, it depends on the song and whether you're trying to obtain atmospheric properties. With having an overlay of clean rhythm over your main riff (or any distorted part), I would keep it centered with the volume lower than the distorted part. Though, I feel that it is dependent on the song and how YOU envision it.

Vocals, I feel, should be dead center unless the vocals are acting as an accent rather than a focal point of the song. One thing that is really cool to do is when you have a harmony is to pan one octave to one side and the other octave to the other side.

With solos, I feel that they should always be dead center and should contain enough volume so that they are focused upon. Harmony solos sometimes work like some harmony parts of vocals; they sound really cool at opposite sides. Though, if it is a lead solo like you're asking about and it contains a harmony, I think that both tracks should be centered and equalized through volume control.

I've never really done any recording with tremolo (let alone really written anything using tremolo) so I don't have any advice.

To be honest John, the best way to determine what the best panning settings are with different tracks is to try out different options. Like I said, I feel it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish with the sound of the song.

Thanks so much man. From messing around with it over the months, I figured most of what you said. I wasn't sure about solos though, I'll be sure to do them dead center from now on unless they're harmonized.

Just make sure you don't have too much gain on the solos. In other words, balance out the EQ. If you raise the volume and don't compensate the increase with EQ tweaks, the solo will sound too tight and won't give you a flowing effect. Also, if you're doing an intro/outro or just some kind of overlay lead (like an addition to the last chorus), try some slight panning. Try out some different combinations rather than 50/50. Try something like 70/30 (chorus/layover solo) so you can get a feel for what you're trying to accomplish. It's all about tweaking, tweaking and tweaking (not Meth). Writing is only half of the battle.

I can actually mess with the gain and EQ of the amp model I'm using on the recorder, but honestly I can't hear any difference at all. Is it supposed to be subtle? Is there anything I should do to the EQ to prevent that "clipping" thing with palm muting rythem guitars? Maybe take all the bass out?

what's the deal with people who barely mix, already wanting to master?

for EQ on guitars i saw a post a few days ago on this forum (andy sneap i think, i was linked it so i didnt really get a good look) about how the guy lowpasses at 20 Ghz and highpasses at 12000 Ghz so basically it makes your EQ curve look like an arch of sorts.

highpassing and low passing makes much more sense on keyboards but w/e. but i tried it with a black metal song my friend and i had done and it cut out a lot of un-necessary gain and low end from the tone, made it sound much warmer. but for your tone on the recordings i would jut use a High-pass filter to cut out a lot of the gain and just cut a little bit of the low end at the frequency thats screwing up your palm muting.

the clipping that is probably in the low to mid-low of the EQ band so try cutting out those frequencies, most people say that you really never add db's on an EQ it's always better to cut out db's, and it seems to be working quite well so far.

for EQ on guitars i saw a post a few days ago on this forum (andy sneap i think, i was linked it so i didnt really get a good look) about how the guy lowpasses at 20 Ghz and highpasses at 12000 Ghz so basically it makes your EQ curve look like an arch of sorts.

You got some things totally messed up here buddy.

First off, a human's hearing range goes from roughly 20 Hz to 20.000 Hz (20 kHz) for a young and healthy person (it degrades with age).

So that's the range we're working with as audio engineers. I guess you just mixed up the terms, because no creature on earth can hear sounds in the Gigahertz range. ;)

--------

Anyway, one should always be quite conservative with EQ on guitars. Get it right at the source. If you have to make more than the occasional 2dB cut (band-passes excluded) on an annoying frequency then you make something terribly wrong in the tracking process.

--------

Now on to the usage of high- and low-passes, which are are means of EQ-ing as well:

A high-pass has a cut-off frequency (it's not a straight cut, rather a gradual) at which all frequencies above the cut-off freq. are being allowed to pass through (as the name indicates).

But you could also say, that a high-pass basically cuts all the freq. under the cut-off freq. That's why the terms high-pass and low-cut are interchangeable.

Converse this logic and you get the low-pass which equals a high-cut.

I personally prefer the terms low- and high-cut because they seem to be more logical for people who have no knowledge about the electrical engineering behind an audio circuitry.

--------------

Now on to the practical use of low- and high-cuts at the mixing stage (we're talking about guitars):

An electric guitar is an instrument that's allocated in the midrange of our hearing and therefore mixing spectrum. IT IS all over the place though (as you'll always have harmonics/overtones and centre frequencies above or below the midrange) and that's where low- and high-cuts come in handy:

One usually applies a low-cut/high-pass usually centring somewhere between 60 and 120 Hz to make room for the instruments that actually belong there: the bass (guitar), the "body" of a kick drum and the low-end of the floor toms.

If you don't give each instrument enough space to "breathe", your mix will cloud and mud up. The guitar is not there to provide your mix with low-end.

Another nice side-effect of removing unwanted low-end is the fact that you are making more headroom available. The more headroom you have, the later will your instruments clip.

A high-cut/low-pass on the other hand ain't always necessary. You usually use one to remove annoying frequencies in the high-end (like fizz) and/or to make more room for the cymbals.

You always have to determine the cut-off frequencies for both every time individually depending on the actual source material. Setting a low-cut too high might remove to much "chunk" from the guitars, setting a high-cut too low might remove the "air" from the guitars and make them sound dull.

--------------

John, there is soooo much for you to learn in this. If you want to take your tracks to a new level than sooner or later you'll have to give up recording with that digital recorder.

You got some things totally messed up here buddy.

First off, a human's hearing range goes from roughly 20 Hz to 20.000 Hz (20 kHz) for a young and healthy person (it degrades with age).

So that's the range we're working with as audio engineers. I guess you just mixed up the terms, because no creature on earth can hear sounds in the Gigahertz range. ;)
Hz is indeed what i mean't i had just woke up and for some reason was thinking Ghz, don't ask me why. the exact spec's that guy posted on the other site was 12 Khz lowpass and 60 hz highpass

your post was much more helpful than mine though so w/e, i've just now become accustomed to EQ'ing and overall mastering where as it seems like you have some kind of degree in audio engineering so your post cancels mine out :p

im much more into the sequencing/MIDI/VST side rather than mixing/mastering.

frying-pan-01.jpg

Should clean rythem guitars be panned 50/50 like distorted ones? Is there any difference if you're just note picking or strumming chords?
Distorted guitars should never be panned 50/50. Generally they're panned 100/80/80/100 (for quad-tracked, with the inner set at a lower volume) or 80/80 (dual-tracked.) Clean rhythm guitars (ie a clean electric, not acoustic) should also probably be done 80/80 at the least. If one side is doing one thing (ie strumming chords) and the other side another (ie playing a "lead" or a melody line) I'd only dual-track it, as it will get too cluttered quadding it imo.

Should vocals always be dead center?
They don't have to be. Sometimes there will be a pair of L/R backing vocals, or a L/R reverb on the main vocal. Listen to your favorite records and see how they pan them.

Lead guitar solos, should they be panned center or 50/50?
If it's harmonized or counter-pount with no rhythm guitar under them I'd pan them 80/80 or 70/70 (depending on how thin it sounds.) If it's only one lead guitar track, generally it's in the center or panned slightly to one side (15%).

And what if I was like, tremelo picking over over rythem guitars. Center or 50/50?
If only one side's playing rhythm, I'd put the tremolo on the other side. If both sides are playing rhythm, I'd put it in the center or pan it a little (like 15%) to one side.

Thank you! I'm working on a new Empiric track I've been messing with in my head for a few years. And Dan made me realize the importance of mastering, so I learned how to do that.
Generally mastering should be done by a professional studio, not by yourself.

If you must do it yourself - Matt Parsons likes to use Gclip + Blockfish compressor + Classic Master Limiter. I personally use ReaEQ (HP@40, LP@~13k), slight compression, a warmifier, then L2 and L1. I want to get the maximum loudness that I can without losing the dynamic range, so generally I'll clip the transients of the snare and kick drums on their respective tracks.