Bunch of questions about starting to record own songs

alphaWave

New Metal Member
Dec 3, 2003
I want to start recording my own stuff with the goal of making a demo totally on my own. I have quite a bit of money so that's only of second priority when answering my questions.

Situation is the following: I'd like to record as much as possible at home, but cannot do everything here (vocals and guitar-tracks if mic-ed will naturally be too loud for an apartment. Oh yeah, all drums will be programmed) so I need something I can also use at my rehearsal-space. Since I don't have any experience with recording at all, I'm having quite a few questions:

The first batch ist about the general route I should go. The way I see it, there are two possibilites for me.
- Buy a big Harddisk-recorder and do everything on there. Also buy a drum-computer for programming of the drums or do that on my old POS-computer.
- Get a smaller 8-track-recorder for fast tracking of riff-ideas and recording at rehearsal-room. Buy a new computer for at home where I'm doing all the drum-programming, mixing and mastering.

1. Which of those two possibilites is more practical/cheaper/more versatile/...?
2. What HD-recorders can be recommended? The ones from Zoom seem to be quite cheap, but are they good, too?
3. What else would I need?
4. Where might I find more information on the matter?

I'm not quite sure about how to record guitars yet. Since I've never done that, going direct might be a lot easier. The thing is, I hate PODs and their sound so I'd probably have to go the Behringer V-Amp or SansAmp PSA-1-route (the latter seems more versatile. More on that later.)

5. Should I go direct or dare to delve into the science of micing? What would I need to get a decent guitar-sound when micing?
6. How are V-Amp/PSA-1? Other recommendations?

Bass-recording will almost for sure be direct. I only have access to a horrible bc rich-warlock-bass though and this would be a good opportunity to buy something in that department.

7. Which good but not too expensive Basses can you recommend for quite distorted metal-sounds? How are Ibanez BTB-series? (I would love to own a Status Stealth but I don't think that's gonna happen)
8. In case I'm buying the SansAmp PSA-1, would that perfectly do to record all my bass-sounds or should I buy a SansAmp Bass Driver DI to achieve good results?

For programming the drums, the Drumkit From Hell-route seems to be reasonnable.

9. Any other options?
10. How are seperate drumcomputers like the ones from Boss?

I know this is quite a lot for the moment and sorry for being such a n00b. Feel free to answer whatever you know something about. Everything is appreciated!

Get a mac and a digi002 and a decent amp simulator plug in.

oh and a re amp and a good DI.

just record your gtrs direct in, monitoring through the simulator and just reamp it through a decent rig in your rehearsal space.

just build your drum tracks in pro tools also, easy :cool: :headbang:

Here's what I use: Boss BR-8 8 track (no longer made), DR-770 Drum machine, POD, Bass POD. I set myself with standalone stuff cuz at the time I didn't have a computer. But I like the aspect of mixing to a standalone unit rather than computer simply because my computer montior causes major interference with my guitars and it'd be a pain to have to turn it off everytime I do a take, and turn it back on to reset to do another take, so on and so forth. Some people do have these problems, but I do. But my setup works for me right now and I'm happy to get the results I'm getting with my limited recording knowledge.

But if I were you I would take it one step at a time. First decide how you want to record. Computer based or standalone. There are a lot of programs out there for computer based and a lot of standalone systems. I really don't know much about what I don't have so I'm not much help there. As for what else you will need depends on what you are using to record but you will need some nearfield monitors, a good mic or five, mic pre or two, get some good cables. If you are using you computer for anything (mixing, mastering, recording) you will need a decent soundcard. Two places where you can get some good info are homerecording.com and vsplanet.com. Vsplanet.com is a Roland users group so if you ask questions about a recording device they will obviously be slanted toward those products. But the people there are very knowledgable about many aspects of recording and the products available.

Hi Andy,
so - I know what you mean by reamp...but i'm not sure how you exactly do that? Do amps have inputs for that? (i.e., your standard new amp...mesa boogie, 5150's, or older style amps? (mesas or marshalls?)

thanks!

:headbang:

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Now to a few more questions about them:

1. Would I still need a good soundcard or is that already integrated in the digi002?
2. Why a mac and not a pc? Any specific reasons for that?
3. On the whole reamp-thing: The way I've understood it is that I record the guitars clean, and then go with that recorded clean signal through the reamp into my guitar-rig, record it from there and go back in with the recorded signal into the digi002. Is that correct?
4. Do you have some recommendations for good DI-boxes?
5. I'm still not sure if buying a small 8-tracker for short recordings wouldn't be more practical in certain cases. Would I have to live with a worse sound-quality then? Other possible drawbacks?
6. Why ProTools? Are there good alternatives?

Also, Andy, I've just seen you have the PSA-1 and the Bass Driver DI. Do you think it makes sense buying both or will the PSA-1 suffice?