A few questions about Mesa amp and cabs

Vovus

May 7, 2008
Hellow :)
I just have some questions.

1 - I want buy mesa rectifier for home use, which is the difference in dual and single, but : dual - 100W and single - 50W

2 - I want buy two Celestion Vintage 30, and create my own cabinet. How good is my idea, and is there a difference in creating own cab and buying some brand?

3 - Is there the difference in using 2x12 through SM 57 mic, or 4x12 for recording, and what is the difference if it exists?

Thanks very much :)

Hellow :)
I just have some questions.

1 - I want buy mesa rectifier for home use, which is the difference in dual and single, but : dual - 100W and single - 50W

go to the mesa website there are all the infos you need.

2 - I want buy two Celestion Vintage 30, and create my own cabinet. How good is my idea, and is there a difference in creating own cab and buying some brand?

Really depends what's your project, a well made cab will sound great, a cheap project assembled the wrong way will sound like shit.
Pay attention to the thickness of the board you're using!
Thicker -> bigger
Thinner -> "shitter" lol

3 - Is there the difference in using 2x12 through SM 57 mic, or 4x12 for recording, and what is the difference if it exists?

Thanks very much :)

Yes there's a difference! and I think it's a lot!

1) More power, so more headroom, better dynamics.
2) Unless you're very good at it, yours won't sound nearly as good as a Mesa one
3) Yes, it is different. You'd have to listen to it to hear though, but each speaker has a small impact on the mic, so does the room.

Thank you very much for the complete anwsers :)
can i ask some more? :)

Which type of material must i use, which thickness , etc., to create good cab? I want to order it to carpenter.

Which tubes are the greatest set for Mesa, for the smooth, but high gain?
I looked at Groove Gold Series 12AX7's, Tungsol, Electro-Harmonix, and 6L6 Grooves, and Svetlana. etc. . . what do you offer ?

I love my Mesa 4x12. The sound is really just big. The cab is also huge too, haha. If you're looking at cutting some corners price wise, check out Avatar cabs. You can get them either empty, or loaded with V30s or whatever speaker you want. It's worth a look.

Thanks :) but the problem is in the place, where I live, and i just can't order me very heavy cab, or it will cost more than twice of the price.
So i have to buy, that i can order, and create, that can be created :)
that's why I asked that questions :)

I'm sure making a (good) cabinet of your own will cost more than simply buying even an expensive factory-made cabinet.

I just finished building one and it cost about 150 bones in material - not including speakers. Let me tell you, they are not easy to make, they take time and a lot of work. Getting them to look as good as a professional made one, is really difficult, but on the other hand, they are fun to build. How they sound depends entirely on the wood you use, and the size of the box. Marshall and Mesa are notorious for using Marine Birch - good luck finding some! Any plywood will do, but the type of wood you use will color the sound.

Thanks for the answer :)
I can say only, if I buy cabinet around 800$, i will pay 1000$ for the shiping :(
so I want to try to create my own cab :)

Thanks for the answer :)
I can say only, if I buy cabinet around 800$, i will pay 1000$ for the shiping :(
so I want to try to create my own cab :)

What 1000$ for shipping?
Or you meant 800$ (cab) + 200$ (shipping) ?
Shipping stuff like that, a guitar 4x12 cab, is expensive!
so 200$ for an international order is no that much I think.
Anyway I bought a 4x12 from Thomann.de their shipping is just 20 Euro!
no matter what you buy, as long as they didn't change anything now.

Cheap plywood is naff 'cos of having air voids between the ply. Marine grade does not, so has better resonating properties.

All wood is porous, including MDF. I agree Marine grade is better, but again good luck finding it and if you do, its not the most cost effective; but just because you don't have marine grade, doesn't mean your sound is going to suck.

Kaomao - 1000$ for shiping, because I live very far from the united states and there aren't any deallers :)
Just interesting, Mesa Triple Head have more headroom, than Dual ?

Thanks :) I live in Armenia and the shiping to the contry is very expensive, when you're going to order something from USA, and its weight is around 70 lbs :)
Interesting
1 - Is Mesa Triple better head for home recording, than dual ?
2 - has Mesa Single as brittle sound as Peavey 6505 through Sheffield speakers loaded cabinet, or it is much pristine?

I'm sure making a (good) cabinet of your own will cost more than simply buying even an expensive factory-made cabinet.

I built my own 2x12 and it cost about 350€ speaker included. I make good inner reinforcements to make it more heavy and I putted foam in every side (internally).
The good thing is that you can build a cab like your favourite expensive cab, only copying measures and distances.

Thanks :) I live in Armenia and the shiping to the contry is very expensive, when you're going to order something from USA, and its weight is around 70 lbs :)
Interesting
1 - Is Mesa Triple better head for home recording, than dual ?
2 - has Mesa Single as brittle sound as Peavey 6505 through Sheffield speakers loaded cabinet, or it is much pristine?

Seriously you should buy stuff from thomann.
Ask them a quote!

Something you should consider about the different Recto heads is that the Single is 50w, the Dual is 100w and the Triple is 150w. While the more wattage you have increases the amount of headroom and dynamics compared to a lesser wattage version, it takes more to get a good cranked amp sound. The higher the volume of the amp, the more tube saturation you are getting, and in turn you are getting a really good cranked tube tone. A 50w head will saturate faster than a 100w or 150w head, although there is only about 6dB of volume in difference between each head. Say the Single Recto is...for example...80dB when it's turned up to 5 on the master. A Dual will be 86dB at the same notch, and the Triple at 92dB....relatively speaking. Not exact, but you get the basic point I'm trying to make. And while some people disregard this as a valid point when deciding on an amp, go into your recording software and load an audio track into it. Turn the track down by 6dB and see how much quieter it is with only 6dB of volume dropped. 6 decibels isn't really a lot...but makes a big difference IMO.

I would say the best thing to go for is a middleground, which would be a Dual Recto. I've owned a few Dual Rectos in my day and I currently have a Dual Rectifier combo with which I run the speaker output to my 4x12 Mesa cab. I love it to death.

As far the cabinet thing goes, it sucks to hear that you get raped when it comes to shipping charges. Building your own cabinet does take a LOT of planning and it's not easy to just simply build one. Marine Grade plywood would be your best choice, being voidless (i.e. no knots or anything like that) makes it the best choice for cabinet applications. However, tracking the material down and the amount of money it costs may be more trouble than it is worth. You can definitely build one out of regular plywood, but don't expect it to sound great. You have to realize that a lot of calculations are in order to create the air space for the speakers in the cabinet to give the best possible sound. There is even a way to tune the cabinet for a specific note if you design the air space correctly. So, for example, if you are tuned to C standard, then you could find out the dimensions required and everything to tune the cabinet to C. People that have tuned their cabs to the tuning they use have said it's the best thing they have ever done to improve their guitar tone. Regardless, Mesa/Marshall/Vader/Orange/etc. obviously do not build cabinets for every possible tuning, so those cabs could be considered "universal" and they seem to work pretty well without being tuned :) There are some threads on this forum regarding cabinet building where a lot of useful links (including ones that I have found and posted in those threads) with a plethora of info that you will need to know about in order to start planning the project out.

Also, consider what you are looking for from your cabinet when it comes to the recorded sound. I had a Marshall 2x12 for a long time as a dedicated recording cabinet. I liked how focused and tight the lows were, as well as the very direct sound it got me. When I replaced it with my Mesa oversized 4x12 all of a sudden I had to deal with boomy guitars and a more open sound. Not necessarily a bad thing at all. The tones I have been getting with the 4x12 are thicker, but to be quite honest they are not as clear or direct sounding as I had gotten with my Marshall. However, I am getting use to having a Mesa 4x12 again and it takes tweaking just like anything else. But for your information, just know that typically 2x12 cabinets have a tighter and more direct sound for the most part, while 4x12 cabs will have more beef and air to them. Neither of which are better than the other, persay, it just comes down to preference.

Also, this is all just my opinion and based on my experiences. The opinion that matters most is the one that YOU have. We can all tell you what we prefer, but it may not be exactly what you are looking for.

~006

I use 2x12 orange cabs with the celestion v30s
a 4x12 will always fill out a room better
but as mentioned above and what i have found also
that a 4x12 doesnt sound as tight as a recorded 2x12
its all down to personal taste and set up, ive went through many
cabs and just found using 2 - 2x12 cabs live and the single for recording
always works out best for me. Try them out if possible see what results you get.

and id guess building a 2x12 cab will eb alot easier than a 4x12