Harpos question...

eppst1

Mar 18, 2002
Ohio
www.eppst1.com
The closest venue for me that the Dark Tranquility tour is coming to is in Detroit and playing at Harpos. I've heard many bad things about this venue - bad side of town, poor sound, and I was wondering if some people (I'm looking at you Bryan) could feel me in on the venue. Are the rumors true about being in a bad location? Are there hotels near? Is it a good place to see a show?

Feedback would be appreciated.

Hi eppst1 - I live in Toledo, OH so Harpo's is where I see most shows. No, I don't think it's really that bad of an area. Hell, ALL of Detroit is a bad area. I've been there many times and never had any problems getting in or out of the place. Except for the SLOW service across the way at White Castle...

Anyway, I wouldn't let the area stop you from going to a show there, however, I would not get a hotel in that area. I don't really know what other areas would be good for a hotel other than over by the airport. I've stayed over there a couple times the night before a flight. There are a lot of hotels there and not much else, and it's right off the expressway.

Hope this helps!!

Hi eppst1 - it is where most bands play in Detroit, alas. I know a lot of people here go and go without problem, but I've had a couple of my friends have had a friend murdered there AND a former surgeon at one of the local hospitals told me I wasn't allowed to go.

YMMV.

-Sarah

hey, the Dark Tranquillity show was moved to the I-Rock, so don't go to Harpos' - there's some numetal/alternative band playing that night. As far as the neighborhood goes, the above post is pretty much true. There've been a few deaths (at least one carjacking-related), and it used to be that you were guaranteed to find your car windows smashed out when you got to the parking lot, but they've added some security post-2004. I go there regularly, alone, and haven't had any problems.

Harpo's has *gasp* IMPROVED!

Yeah sounds like a blatant lie. I know. The parking lot is still a bomb-cratered warzone, the access drives and alleys are still filled with broken glass and debris and liquor bottles and shards of metal. The bathrooms still flood EVERY night, the front pit is still 7-feet deep and scary as fuck, and the sound still sucks unless you get a good distance from the stage and hang out on the "disco" floor.

BUT.... there are now 7 fully-armed security guards patrolling the lots and around the venue. There is now a metal detector that always goes off when I walk through cuz I'm sofa king METAL, and they quell the stage diving quickly and let the moshers alone to do their moshing all they want. The cops roll by regularly during show nights, and the skanky hookers and crackheads are always non-confrontational and actually, quite amusing on some nights!

The Kamelot/Epica show was FANTASTIC even though it was only maybe 300 people, and we were hanging out after the show with two younger metalheads who shared their Little Caesars pizza with us and talking about all things metallic.

For those of you scared of Harpo's, here's the lowdown:

When you come up I-94 through Detroit, you'll want to take Exit 222A which puts you onto Outer Drive. You'll be hanging two lefts through three traffic light intersections; once to cross over I-94, passing through the street light at the service drive/exit ramp, and once again to get onto Harper Ave. That intersection of the I-94 service drive, Outer Drive, Harper Ave and one more stupid side street is VICIOUS traffic congestion. There's two street lights within three car lengths of each other, and there's NOOOO LEFT TURN CENTER LANE OR LEFT TURN LIGHTS! You're at the mercy of traffic flow. Be patient, be careful. Then you'll be fine. Harpo's it the huge building with HARPOS up and down it, then there's a "street" where the tour buses park in, then there's a little black cinder block building that looks like a garage, THEN there's the parking lot. The security guys will help out a bit.

When you're leaving, the ramp to get back onto I-94 is directly behind Harpo's. So all you gotta do is get back onto Harper Ave, and pull two right turns. Once to get through the light at Outer Drive, and one more to get onto the ramp. Nice and easy. Remember, you're dealing with drunk metalheads, so PATIENCE. You'll get through that clusterfuck easily enough.

If you want to take a longer route that doesn't involve camping out for 10 minutes praying for a left turn chance, go one exit further to 222B Harper Ave Exit. That ramp brings you straight into a dead-end into Harper Ave where you can only turn either left or right, but four or five blocks further away, and far less traffic congestion. Waaay easier to make that left turn onto Harper Ave, than waiting through three lights trying to make those left turns at Outer Drive. Also, that exit also drops you two blocks away from my favorite stage in Detroit, THE I-ROCK! Just turn right, and you'll see the giant guitar painted on the side of the I-Rock.

Here's some maps with the paths highlighted. Purple gets you there, green gets you home. This first one is if you're brave enough to fight through the three street lights in a row at Outer Drive:

outerdrivehs4.jpg

Yeah, it's huge. SUCK MY BASS.

And here's the Harper Ave I-Rock exit with a few blocks of backtracking and less left turns:

harperaveqb5.jpg

There. Full tutorial on how to survive Harpo's Concert Theater.

I'll most likely have a large contingency attending this show to see Into Eternity anyways, so find me there!

eppst1 stay at Ramada in Taylor Mich it just outside the city and is where I have always stayed when coming to the D from VA. Decent rates and decent area .

Wow, Bryan your answer totally dominates and actually leaves me with nothing to say.... EXCEPT: :heh:

Take the 222B exit and save yourselves the headache! F%$# all that other noise!

AND.....

You won't die at Harpo's unless you're being stoopid.
--Park in designated areas
--At least nod to the security guys watching your car (you owe them! trust me!)
--Don't get on the lower floor if you don't want to be tossed around. It's inevitable, so don't start a fight over it.
--Leave with the rest of the crowd, don't wait until you're the last one. Sitting in traffic for a few minutes is much better than getting a Columbian Necktie at midnight in the slums of Detroit. :zombie:

This is like any other event, really.

I went to Harpo's by myself once, for Therion. And to the I-Rock down the street COUNTLESS times on my own. As far as I can tell, me and my car are both in one piece :cool:

Use common sense, and ENJOY THE SHOW! :headbang:

Oh, and the I-ROCK is WAY cooler than Harpo's! Same sound system + better sound guy + smaller room = best sound in the state, imo!

Despite it not being the greatest of venues, I had a lot of good times at Harpo's. I once saw a girl flash her boobs during.... NILE!!!! :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah... I also never had a problem there, security-wise... I can't say the same for St. Andrews, where my friend and I almost got caught in a crossfire.

I second everyone who has said that I-Rock is a far superior place to see a show. It's not as big, but it's a nicer room, and the sound is better.