Harry Potter is a Racist

infoterror

Apr 17, 2005
HARRY POTTER: A 'Half-Blood Prince' Revealed

Today, as millions of people rifle through freshly minted copies of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to discover the identity of this mysterious new character, I can't help but imagine this prince as biracial rather than "half-magic."

"Half-breed" — akin to mongrel, mutt or half-caste — flies around as a jab at biracial people more often than "half-blood."

In J.K. Rowling's world, half-blood means "half magic." But the term — reflecting a dichotomy between magic/powerful and mundane/helpless — implies a hierarchy. This "magic" hierarchy directly resembles racial hierarchies.

http://www.tolerance.org/news/article_tol.jsp?id=1256

Well the article actually comes to a different conclusion. I was dreading to read what i thought might be some humorless PC website.

I'm not reading the article, but the books are entirely anti-"racist" in the same superficial way most people are in reality, basically denying that race has any effect on anything and villainising anybody who even *suggests* otherwise.

I'd say any "racist" effect would be canceled out by the fact that many people dislike/hate/fear the occult and would therefore find being part or all magic a negative, evil thing regardless of whether it is glorified in the HP books.

Although I really don't think it matters either way. Harry Potter is fiction and has no basis in reality...

Claiming that Harry Potter, a fictional character, is racist, is about as believable as Judas Priest purposely backward-masking "Better By You, Better Than Me" just to make two idiots blow their heads off.

Gallantry over Docility said:
I'm not reading the article, but the books are entirely anti-"racist" in the same superficial way most people are in reality, basically denying that race has any effect on anything and villainising anybody who even *suggests* otherwise.
You're right, did you know that black people muscles are ''designed'' to be developped a lot quicker than white people? Those lucky pricks.

It's okay. GoD has a good grasp of what we call "theoretical" social relations. How things *should* be in an ideal world where people all believe in natural selection and races as the beginnings of evolution and live according to the policy of what makes things better for mankind.

In "real" life, it's not how things *should* work it's about how things *do* work and *must* work.

Racial distinctions became an old page in history as soon as cross- and trans-continental travel became possible. The Galapagos condition ceased to exist.

Those preaching for discrimination and race differences should give it up and let things just take their course. "Black Chick, White Dude" OH NOES!

the alumnus said:
i'm sorry, but writing about harry potter sort of discredits the academic nature you were trying to achieve.
why should it? fictional or not, it is a work of literature, not diminished by your disinterest in its subject.

so is dr. seuss, but his books have meaningful purpose for children.

you see it as a children's book, but that, once again, does not diminish the potential for literary merit

The funny thing is, only white people would say shit like that. For one, if a black person actually read harry potter, the thought of racism would come to mind. People trying to be politically correct end up spreading the most racist bullshit.

If you read the book, The half blood part actually takes on a different meaning.