Harry Potter is a Racist

ZoMb!M@N said:
I'm a newbie to Wicca, so I know little about the craft. I guess I can chalk the mistake up to watching re-runs of "Bewitched".

why would you start practicing wicca for, its not like you will get anything out of it. Wicca is even less valid that Islam and Christianity. Witches are fictional characters, wicca is a fictional religion.

BlackMetalTyrant said:
why would you start practicing wicca for, its not like you will get anything out of it. Wicca is even less valid that Islam and Christianity. Witches are fictional characters, wicca is a fictional religion.

Said like a true positivist. How can witchcraft be any more or any less valid than Chrisitianity and Islam? It can be less popular, less dogmatic; but the actual validity of all three cannot be proven.

he's discussing wizardry/witchcraft, a theme in Harry Potter, based on what he knows of Wicca. not exactly transferrable, but marginally passable one could argue.

speed said:
Said like a true positivist. How can witchcraft be any more or any less valid than Chrisitianity and Islam? It can be less popular, less dogmatic; but the actual validity of all three cannot be proven.

Wicca is not witchcraft.

Wicca is a new-age approximation of ancient beliefs, just as "It's a Small World" is a Disney approximation.

See Evola's essay "Against the Neo-Pagans" for a lengthier analysis.

Am I the only one who thinks ZoMb!M@N was joking? If this was a Wiccan or pagan forum (and I say this from experience), that comment would be high satire of the "fluffy" adherents who are interested in the religion because they've seen it on TV.

infoterror, I believe you are thinking of neo-paganism, which is not the same thing as Wicca. (The Evola article is interesting, but nowhere does it mention Wicca.)

Wicca may not *be* witchcraft, but belief in and/or practice of witchcraft is part of Wicca. Its central tenets, the Wiccan Rede and the Law of Three, refer to what constitutes acceptable use of magick.

Neo-paganism, on the other hand, does not embrace the above tenets and while its adherents may believe in and/or practice magick, they are not bound to take only action that will "harm none." Neo-paganism as I understand it is more a spiritual reverence for nature in the same vein of, say, a Christian's reverence for God, than any witches-of-Macbeth-esque chants and spell-casting. To me it is also more "valid" than Wicca.

the alumnus said:
what does this have to do with harry potter books?

it was a reference to the title of the book, and how a half-blood has one non-wizard parent. that fell into me saying that i was new to wicca .... this all could have been avoided by going back and reading the thread

BlackMetalTyrant said:
Wiccas a joke

Thats is your opinion. I find it interesting. Could you not say that Satanism is a joke? Or any other established religion? To say that Wicca is a joke makes the reader assume you know something about it. This is apparently untrue. Try thinking before you speak, or if you would like to remain ignorant, I'm sure you and Silent Song could have many wonderful conversations amongst yourselves.

NeverIsForever said:
Am I the only one who thinks ZoMb!M@N was joking? If this was a Wiccan or pagan forum (and I say this from experience), that comment would be high satire of the "fluffy" adherents who are interested in the religion because they've seen it on TV.

infoterror, I believe you are thinking of neo-paganism, which is not the same thing as Wicca. (The Evola article is interesting, but nowhere does it mention Wicca.)

Wicca may not *be* witchcraft, but belief in and/or practice of witchcraft is part of Wicca. Its central tenets, the Wiccan Rede and the Law of Three, refer to what constitutes acceptable use of magick.

Neo-paganism, on the other hand, does not embrace the above tenets and while its adherents may believe in and/or practice magick, they are not bound to take only action that will "harm none." Neo-paganism as I understand it is more a spiritual reverence for nature in the same vein of, say, a Christian's reverence for God, than any witches-of-Macbeth-esque chants and spell-casting. To me it is also more "valid" than Wicca.

Well, half-joking ... i have read alot about it. But, i'm not invoking spirits in the middle of the woods on a moonlit night just yet. :tickled:

Does being a metalhead mean that you should be closed-minded to things you do not understand? Refer to the backward message at the beginning of Iron Maiden's "Still Life" .... "do not meddle in things you do not understand" ... and commenting before you know what you are commenting about falls into this as well, i believe.

ZoMb!M@N said:
Does being a metalhead mean that you should be closed-minded to things you do not understand?
Where in my post was I close-minded? (I'm going to assume this reply was directed at me, because you apparently addressed each person who replied to your original post separately instead of putting it all in one post...) Please clarify what you meant by that?

Refer to the backward message at the beginning of Iron Maiden's "Still Life" .... "do not meddle in things you do not understand" ... and commenting before you know what you are commenting about falls into this as well, i believe.
And assuming that I added my opinion to this discussion without having some concept of what I was commenting about does not? Having studied Wicca, paganism, and the variance between the two for several years (while I'm not convinced they are any more valid than any other religion, these spiritual paths particularly intrigue me), I'm fairly certain that in this case I have a decent grasp on what I'm talking about :Spin:

I wouldnt study wicca and satanism too hard, you dont have to look at a turd for too long to realize its a fucking turd

ZoMb!M@N said:
it was a reference to the title of the book, and how a half-blood has one non-wizard parent. that fell into me saying that i was new to wicca .... this all could have been avoided by going back and reading the thread

yeah, but i don't see any connection between harry potter and wicca.

BlackMetalTyrant said:
I wouldnt study wicca and satanism too hard, you dont have to look at a turd for too long to realize its a fucking turd
Good thing I never said anything about Satanism then, isn't it? Don't tell me you're another one of those ignorant individuals who believe paganism and Satanism are interchangeable :tickled:

I don't believe in witchcraft. Period. But I do believe in respect for nature, a major reason for my interest in paganism (which, again, in case you missed it the first time I said it, is NOT the same thing as Satanism...)