Harry Potter is a Racist

I don't think he was saying that Wicca and Satanism are the same. I think he was saying they are both turds

Yes, but the problem is I wasn't talking about Satanism in the first place. I was talking about paganism, which is different from both Wicca AND Satanism. At least read what I posted before arguing with me :erk:

Since it wasn't clear: I referred to Wicca and paganism in my original post. He told me Wicca and Satanism are both turds. I said I agree that Satanism is stupid, but it wasn't what I was originally talking about because it's not the same thing as paganism.

Which brings us to you telling me that he wasn't trying to say Wicca and Satanism are the same. Incidentally, I never claimed he was. If anything, he seemed to think paganism and Satanism are the same. And this is what I was trying to clear up for him.

God, this has gotten stupid :erk:

NeverIsForever said:
Where in my post was I close-minded? (I'm going to assume this reply was directed at me, because you apparently addressed each person who replied to your original post separately instead of putting it all in one post...) Please clarify what you meant by that?

And assuming that I added my opinion to this discussion without having some concept of what I was commenting about does not? Having studied Wicca, paganism, and the variance between the two for several years (while I'm not convinced they are any more valid than any other religion, these spiritual paths particularly intrigue me), I'm fairly certain that in this case I have a decent grasp on what I'm talking about :Spin:

No, that post was not directed at you, NIF... sorry

ZoMb!M@N said:
Again, Silent Song speaks from ignorance ... what a shock.
i spoke in your defense, and am less ignorant of the subject than you think. when previously have i spoken in "ignorance" if you choose the word "again".

perhaps it would be a shock if i had, because i refrain from comment on that which i do not know.

ZoMb!M@N, I've yet to see an instance in which Silent Song speaks from "ignorance." Examples please?

I didn't think so :D

You, on the other hand...for one thing, you're in the habit of making about five separate posts in a row. That's what the "quote" and "edit" functions are here for...so people don't do that :Spin:

More importantly, and slightly more relevant to the ongoing discussion, you're in no position to criticize the validity of anything posted thus far, regardless of who posted it. Calling someone an idiot and then making fun of special-ed students has no relevance to any of the prior discussion, nor does it serve to refute any of the points with which you apparently disagreed. Read the Philosopher FAQ (yeah, that sticky post at the top of the forum that says "Read First" on it three or four times, that's the one I'm talking about) and please save the lame one-liners for a forum that will appreciate them...or better yet, hand your ass to you, because they really are that lame :tickled:.

For that I recommend SOT (or SOT2, or 4, or whatever they're calling it these days) :lol:

NeverIsForever said:
ZoMb!M@N, I've yet to see an instance in which Silent Song speaks from "ignorance." Examples please?

I didn't think so :D

You, on the other hand...for one thing, you're in the habit of making about five separate posts in a row. That's what the "quote" and "edit" functions are here for...so people don't do that :Spin:

More importantly, and slightly more relevant to the ongoing discussion, you're in no position to criticize the validity of anything posted thus far, regardless of who posted it. Calling someone an idiot and then making fun of special-ed students has no relevance to any of the prior discussion, nor does it serve to refute any of the points with which you apparently disagreed. Read the Philosopher FAQ (yeah, that sticky post at the top of the forum that says "Read First" on it three or four times, that's the one I'm talking about) and please save the lame one-liners for a forum that will appreciate them...or better yet, hand your ass to you, because they really are that lame :tickled:.

For that I recommend SOT (or SOT2, or 4, or whatever they're calling it these days) :lol:

I'm aware of the quote and edit functions, thank you. I am in the position to criticize the validity of anything i read, because i have my own opinions and views. Hand my ass to me? Interesting. I am not here to amuse you or anyone else for that matter, so, your opinions regarding my humor are irrelevant to me. I make comments to amuse myself. If you take this or any on-line chat forum seriously, seek professional help. This is a place to waste time, voice opinions, and read others' opinions. So, if any of you are waking up in mommy and daddy's house itching to see what new posts are available, you have bigger problems to attend to. :p

You may be capable of criticizing whatever you want. That wasn't my point. My point is, until you abandon childish humor, à la "I disagree with what you wrote, therefore I'm going to call you stupid...never mind any relevant discussion of your actual argument," this forum isn't the place for such criticism. If someone is "ignorant," there should be obvious fallacies inherent in his or her argument and you should have no trouble exposing them.

NeverIsForever said:
You may be capable of criticizing whatever you want. That wasn't my point. My point is, until you abandon childish humor, à la "I disagree with what you wrote, therefore I'm going to call you stupid...never mind any relevant discussion of your actual argument," this forum isn't the place for such criticism. If someone is "ignorant," there should be obvious fallacies inherent in his or her argument and you should have no trouble exposing them.

This forum is on a HEAVY METAL website. If that by itself doesn't condone childish behavior, I don't know what should.... If you want a 24/7 serious discussion, see if Harvard has a philosophy chat room.

Heavy Metal is fun, loud and aggressive ... this site should be the same .... if you can't have a sense of humor, and if the comments of a complete stranger put you on the defensive, this may not be the place for you IMO

Again, you've missed the point. The fact that it's a branch of a heavy metal forum has nothing to do with it; there are a lot of intelligent people who like metal. And I enjoy insulting people as much as anyone, but I also recognize that MetalAges asked that THIS SPECIFIC FORUM maintain a reasonable level of spam-, joke-, and troll-post-free seriousness...so if I feel like saying stupid shit I say it elsewhere. MetalAges said it better than I can: "Reducing the conversation to name-calling will only make you look like a half wit." That's all I'm going to say; I've made my opinion on this as clear as I can.

NeverIsForever said:
Again, you've missed the point. The fact that it's a branch of a heavy metal forum has nothing to do with it; there are a lot of intelligent people who like metal. And I enjoy insulting people as much as anyone, but I also recognize that MetalAges asked that THIS SPECIFIC FORUM maintain a reasonable level of spam-, joke-, and troll-post-free seriousness...so if I feel like saying stupid shit I say it elsewhere. MetalAges said it better than I can: "Reducing the conversation to name-calling will only make you look like a half wit." That's all I'm going to say; I've made my opinion on this as clear as I can.

You have perhaps missed the point I was trying to make. I can appreciate that the owners of this site want one forum for serious conversation. But, for the love of God, it's still an internet chat room. Do you seriously think other users are sitting around in smoking jackets with gold pocket watches scrutinizing every post? Loosen up before you explode dude.....

ZoMb!M@N said:
This forum is on a HEAVY METAL website. If that by itself doesn't condone childish behavior, I don't know what should.... If you want a 24/7 serious discussion, see if Harvard has a philosophy chat room.

Heavy Metal is fun, loud and aggressive ... this site should be the same .... if you can't have a sense of humor, and if the comments of a complete stranger put you on the defensive, this may not be the place for you IMO
are you suggesting metal fans are inherently childish? that would provide a convenient excuse for your posts, but sadly i believe you've been proven wrong already by the tone of just about every other poster in this forum. we are all fans of metal in some sense, and we do not need to post childish jibes or sarcastic stupidity, IMO.

this is a serious board for serious discussion. if you want idiotic banter, NeverIsForever has already suggested SOT.

ZoMb!M@N said:

considering that we have posted here far longer than you, i'd say that this isn't the site for you. see if www.stupidmetalheads.com has a messageboard, but you really don't belong here.

As other people have already pointed out, there isn't a connection between Harry Potter and Wicca. There isn't a connection between ANYTHING and Wicca. It's a modern-day religion posing as ancient.

I actually disagree somewhat. True, the witches and wizards in Harry Potter have no affiliation with, or resemblance to, modern Wiccans. There are no blood witches in real life. People aren't born with natural "magic powers," or if they are, no proof of it exists. However, the parallels inherent between the occult themes--divination, magic, etc (whether you believe they're anything other than a load of BS is subject for a different debate) present in Harry Potter and those present in Wicca is undeniable, to the point that conservative groups have criticized the HP books for poisoning children's minds by fostering an interest in witchcraft. After all, modern Wicca is essentially the belief in and practice of witchcraft.

Well, of course there are parallels between the occult themes, both the Harry Potter books and Wicca have borrowed them from a variety of sources. But there isn't a direct comparison to be made between Harry Potter's fictional world.. and Wicca's fictional world :D . The "Harry Potter" system of magic is rather unique and can't really be directly compared to any existing pagan/wishes it were pagan system.