Harry Potter!

There was a pretty solid amount of great children/young adult fiction when I was that age, but I guess kids only read the recent stuff now. Shame really. Anyone ever read Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series?

There was a pretty solid amount of great children/young adult fiction when I was that age, but I guess kids only read the recent stuff now. Shame really. Anyone ever read Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series?

Hell yeah!

That kept me entertained much as a child.

Man, now I wanna go read those again. And I still have a ton of Alexander, Cooper, LeGuin, Bellairs, Yolen and whatnot boxed up somewhere.

But, I just started a reread of The Sandman so other things will have to wait.

In my opinion the Elenium and its follow up series Tamuli are Eddings' best work hands down.

Incidentally, I saw a work by the Eddings' in the general fiction section called Regina's Song which looks pretty new.

I finally got around to picking up Kafka's Metamorphosis at Barnes and Noble the other night. Haven't had too much reading time though.

Oh, and a collection of Twain short stories, which I have yet to dive into yet.

Got a lot of books on the queue, but no time to read.

He basically wrote short fiction, but the Devil's Dictionary is classic.

His short fiction I'd say you *must* read An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge if you read any Bierce at all.

If you want to have a look at his stuff you can go to http://www.gutenberg.net and search for "Ambrose Bierce" I tend to avoid Gutenberg for anything long because of eye strain issues.

I've been trying to get myself to read more for the last 2 years... I'm such a procrastinator.

In my opinion the Elenium and its follow up series Tamuli are Eddings' best work hands down.

I agree. Which isn't to say they are by any standards great work, or even "good" to be honest, but when it comes to enjoyable light reading in the SF field they just have some fantastic frigging dialogue. Plus the Elenium has the best opening scene of any fantasy book ever; so film noir and generally awesome.

Gateway books are the bomb.

The dialogue makes it a great work of fiction. Some of the things said by the thieves in those novels are just fantastic. Belgariad: Standard fare.

edit: Platime is my favorite character.

Meh, it's a very flawed work. No real compelling moral issues are addressed, the worldbuilding is the usual stereotyped Eddings fare, the characters are almost entirely two-dimensional cardboard cutouts (with the exception of Stragen ) who exhibit no growth or change (with the exception of Berit), and the dialogue, while snappy and entertaining, is mostly just a series of gags and one-liners. I imagine it's what the Eddings dinner table sounded like.

Fun stuff, and I'm forever in debt to Eddings for introducing me to SF. But he's a far cry from George RR Martin, Guy Gavriel Kay, Greg Keyes, R. Scott Bakker, and suchlike.

Elitist Jew.

If I didn't like Martin, I'd call you worse! Believe me!

Also, since when are real compelling moral issues addressed in everyday conversation?

Yet another edit:

Reuben, have you read any of the Runelords series? Even David likes that one.