Harry Potter!

Also, since when are real compelling moral issues addressed in everyday conversation?
They're not. But a good novel should really explore something more than "we are good, they are evil, let's fight." None of Eddings's characters have to make difficult choices; none of them wonder which side they're on or ponder their motivations in the least. They Do the Right Thing because it's the Right Thing and that is incredibly goddamn boring.

A friend of mine summed up everything Eddings ever wrote as "Guy with red rock. vs guy with blue rock." Insert a billion useless goons who get slaughtered by the cohort en route to the Lair of the God of Evil, some witty dialogue, and you have a novel. Don't get me started on his Formula for Fantasy.

Reuben, have you read any of the Runelords series? Even David likes that one.
Nope. Tell me!

But, I just started a reread of The Sandman so other things will have to wait.
You, sir, win.

I actually picked up a bunch of old EC Vault of Horror and Shock! SuspenStory comics when i was last in Jersey, so that's what i'm up to as far as comics right now ... fiction, it's just the standard horror novels ...

yeah, i'm fairly simple. oh well!

I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed by the happy ending, but it's not exactly surprising considering what the series is. Still, Harry Potter has done an excellent thing in getting hundreds of thousands of kids who'd otherwise be watching TV to read, and opened the market for speculative fiction.
... and making a lot more people aware of just how fucking retarded the Christian right is.

Since you are a horror fan and the topic is fiction for (even) younger readers, you might check out the John Bellairs stuff. The House With a Clock in Its Walls creeped me the fuck out when I was a kid. Sort of like Poe for kids.

kind of dislike the whole dumbledore reveal by YOU, Capone. I keep looking for it. :mad:

the rest of your reveals were really no big deal at all.

somephisto
Posted: Jul 18 2007, 11:12 AM

Being

Group: Members
Member No.: 2157

Snape gets killed by Voldemort on pg. 658
Burbage dies on pg. 12
Hedwig dies on pg. 56
Mad-Eye dies on pg. 78
Scrimgeour dies on pg. 15
Wormtail dies on pg. 471
Dobby dies on pg. 476
Fred Weasley dies on pg. 637
Harry gets killed by Voldemort on pg. 704 but comes back on pg. 724
Nagini gets beheaded by Neville Longbottom on pg. 733

Tonks, Lupid and Colin Creevy have their deaths confirmed on pg. 743

The last chapter in the book is labeled "19 years later" in it, you find out Ron has married Hermione, their two children are named Rose and Hugo. Harry marries Ginny and their children are named Lily, James, and Albus Severus. The last line of the book is "The Scar has not pained Harry for nineteen years and all was well."

:from another board.

Guy with red rock...etc.

Nope. Tell me!

I actually agree with everything you said, Reuben. I was just seeing how far you would go :).

Anyhow, as per the Runelords. It's a great series. It has adventure and all that fluff that makes you cozy on a rainy day and such, but it also explores the deeper issues. I have to admit, I've only read the first book and part of the second, but what I have read is awesome. The main villain is quite clearly evil, and yet, at times you find yourself sympathizing with him. The book really does deal with moral issues a lot:

The nobles are a bit like superheroes, but the super-heroism comes with a price. They take "endowments" from willing people, who give them things like grace, wit, stamina, etc., which are lost if the benefactor dies or regained if the recipient dies. In return for the endowments, a large sum of money is given to the family of the "dedicate" (benefactor), and the person taking the gift is obligated both morally and logically to take good care of the person, who is rendered severely disabled in a specific way as a result of the sorcery.

I don't like to reveal too much plot(ironic, because of the nature of this thread :) ), but at one point, a principal character's father wakes up from Dedicate sleep 20 years biologically younger than his own son, who himself has an endowment of metabolism, which makes him twice as fast but ages him twice as much.

Morality is at the center here, which actually serves to heighten the suspense at certain points. Excellent work.

The very one.

He's a very talented writer. Writing is awash with hacks, but Maugham was genuine.

That's all the reason anyone needs. :)

I'm personally pretty fond of Lovecraft. He has a special brand of macabre. The English language of old used to cater much more to the genre. I think Lovecraft managed to manipulate it in a pretty outstanding way.

Chances are he was an Alien, though.

My dad had a big collection of old printings of Lovecraft and Derleth's mythos stuff (along with Bierce and Chambers' stuff that directly inspired him) that I started reading when I was 10 or 12. I have a special soft spot for that sort of horror, which, depending on my mood I find either charmingly pulp-schlock or profoundly unsettling.

You guys are pricks. I was scrambling, looking for books and authors a little over a year ago. NOW you come out just to drown out the mainstream and up your bookworm cred.

IDIOTS.

My dad had a big collection of old printings of Lovecraft and Derleth's mythos stuff (along with Bierce and Chambers' stuff that directly inspired him) that I started reading when I was 10 or 12. I have a special soft spot for that sort of horror, which, depending on my mood I find either charmingly pulp-schlock or profoundly unsettling.

That's quite an apt description.

Lovecraft wrote some brilliant, if weighty and labyrinthine prose, and his world-building was second to none when it came to SF horror. Unfortunately, his dialogue was some of the worst tripe to be published - I mean, right up there with Dan Brown (though for entirely different reasons, thank god.) I'm pretty sure he knew this, though, which was why his best stories contained a minimum of chatter.

If you want some really awesome pulp-era SF stuff, try Fritz Leiber's Fahfrd/Grey Mouser stories.