Hartford show 2/24

Entropiastrife

keeper of the keys
Dec 20, 2005
www.myspace.com
My first time seeing opeth and holy shit they brought in a hugeee crowd for a smallish theater like this, definately close to sold out. The floor and bar area was packed by the time devin got on, it was magnificant. First off, the amazing thing about this show was that all the bands got an awesome eqing tonight, one of the clearest shows ive been too, especially for this venue. even the second stage locals (*band whore alert* one of which I was in, whos link is in my sig), who usually get fucked beyond belief in that department, got an awesome sound quality. Ok so devin sounded awesome, but I was never too big of a fan so I dont know the set list. The band was very tight though. DT were solid, but surprisingly boring to me, mostly because their huge catalog is pretty hit or miss for me. Lost to apathy was the highlight for me. Now Opeth, holy shit what a treat. Of course it was obvious that they would start with ghost of perdition, but they really pulled it off well. I was surprised that mikael's clean vocals projected and held up so well live, as I didn't know what to expect for my first time seeing them. The continued with a very cool setlist imo, playing four somewhat obscure songs. The inbetween song banter was cool, its nice to see a band that isn't totally scripted with everything they do onstage, which is unfortunately the case with a lot of bands. Mikael played some classic rock riffs and riffs of a few songs people screamed out, as well as saying some whitty things. Which reminds me, someone wanted the cup of water from the other mikael in dt, which just goes to show you how weird some fans are, but he handled it cool, actually giving it to them and saying "singer, bartender, whatever you want". But yeah, back to opeth, they played some crowd pleasing songs off gr and their last two heavy albums, ending with deliverance. a great night of real metal.

The setlist:

Ghost of Perdition
White Cluster
The Amen Corner
Closure
Under the Weeping Moon
The Baying of the Hounds
The Grand Conjuration
The Drapery Falls
encore: Deliverance

Entropiastrife said:
Which reminds me, someone wanted the cup of water from the other mikael in dt, which just goes to show you how weird some fans are, but he handled it cool, actually giving it to them and saying "singer, bartender, whatever you want".

Yeah, it was actually beer, and I still got the cup right here.

It was an amazing show, you forgot that Opeth probably made about $200 from the encore when he asked us for $5 each. Mikael was hysterical, it's nice to see that making some of the most intense, complex music of our time doesn't mean you have to be pretentious about it (cough*TOOL*cough).

This was the second time I've seen Opeth live. I really enjoyed this setlist. At the beginning the sound was off, as were Mikael's vocals, but everything picked up after a few minutes. Devin Townsend was so fun to watch. Dark Tranquillity's set kind of dragged a little, and is it me or is the lead singer the Mick Jagger of metal. All in all a great experience, I just wish that there weren't so many douche-bags at every metal concert I go to. I was glad when they played Under The Weeping Moon, because all the fan-boys seemed confused...like "what do we do?"

demonofthefall6469 said:
Haha, I remember you, I was right by you for most of the night.
I must have been right next to both of you then! (the crown really stood out). Great show. I eventually had to head off to the side with my 15-year-old daughter, though. The moshing behind us was a bit much for her.

greyghost said:
I must have been right next to both of you then! (the crown really stood out). Great show. I eventually had to head off to the side with my 15-year-old daughter, though. The moshing behind us was a bit much for her.

Were you waiting in line right by the tour bus?

greyghost said:
moshing? interesting. I wasn't looking crowd side too much, but the webster are pretty big nazi's for moshing, plus opeth isn't mosh music

I also remember seeing the crown.
And yes, there was a small contained moshpit. It was actually humerous because it first formed during one of the slower parts of an Opeth song.

demonofthefall6469 said:
it's nice to see that making some of the most intense, complex music of our time doesn't mean you have to be pretentious about it (cough*TOOL*cough).

roflmao @ "most intense complex music of our time" :erk: :erk: