Has anyone upgraded to Lion?

tempe

Captain Midnight
Sep 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
Well I haven't yet due to the fact that PT9 isn't working, but I hear Logic and Cubase 6 are working fine. Anyone taken the plunge? How's it working out for you?

I don't recommend it. Logic 9 32bit crashes on startup, so only the 64bit works. Ableton Live isn't supported, a bunch of the Native Instruments stuff isn't yet supported, and generally it is unwise to adopt this early.

You should really wait until they have ironed out all the bugs. Think of this as a massive test market release, it happens with every apple product like I'life/snow leopard. They release it and its get horrible reviews so they get working straight away on bug fixes. I always wait until they have released 3-4 updates and then I upgrade. That way you get a stable OS/app and by the time you upgrade to the next one its already stable.

good lord no.
last studio computer upgrade I did was 10.4.11 to to 10.5.8.

Haven't even considered it on my home laptop yet as It'll break Pro-tools

That's how long I'll wait

Yeah figured as much, usually isn't it other software manufactures that need to catch up and there aren't to many OS related issues?

I did, but still didn't open my daw (Cubase 6). But it feels a lot faster and smoother than 10.6.8.

Havent made the jump yet. 1 being im on pro tools 8 still and 2 I havent even begun to check to see if anything in my setup is compatible with it since im still on 10.5. But like the others i'm gonna wait a few months either way and let all the bugs get sorted first. Then make whatever upgrades I need for my setup to run with it and then install lion.

One guy on our bus did but he does nothing even remotely production/DAW based, so he's fine. Looks kinda cool, but the only things I really dig are the AirDrop, resume, and full-screen app additions.

Some Apogee products do not work at the moment, so anybody who has the following should not upgrade yet:

•Duet
•Ensemble
•Symphony 64 for X-Series and Rosetta Series converters

Further update: Logic 9 with Apogee One (both 32 and 64) works without a problem. SD2, Omnisphere, Guitar Rig 4, Kontakt, Stillwell plugins and LePou plugins work like a charm. Only Apulsoft SpikeGen couldn't be validated, not a big issue to me for now.

Waves Version 8 currently works under OSX Lion with the following hosts:

Logic 9
Cubase 6
GTR Stand Alone
Multirack Native and SG
Main Stage 2.1.3
Wavelab 7.1
Peak 7

Other hosts are soon to follow after they release a Lion supported version.

As much as I look forward to it however, I'm holding off personally until it's solid for production work. Not that it's really an option for me anyway since I'm on ProTools.

Thanks Tim that's good to know!
I really want to upgrade, but only for the novelty value. I might do it on my girlfriends Mac :D

If you really want to see what its like, Clone your drive and boot to the clone. Upgrade. Simple
I'm using Carbon Copy Cloner

Or you could make a partition of your hard drive, install it on there and boot up from it. Hold option while starting up the computer to select between the OSes. Or you could install it on a firewire drive and boot from that (old iPods work great for this).