Has music hit the glass ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dusk said:
i don't like boring experimentation and innovation for the sake of experimentation and innovation. If you have somehting to say with the innovation then so be it but 9 times out of 10 bands release this kind of thing stuff because they are TRYING to be different and push boundries. what i am trying to get at that in my opinion if yuo are different you are...music can't be forced, it's an expression of your ideas and feelings.... that's what i reckon anyway. :|

I totally Agree with you dude Music Cant be forced It has to flow The most Innovative shit Happened By accident Ya just let the tape roll and let it Flow

There's nothing I hate more than a band experimenting just for the sake of doing it. Well, maybe a band that just plain sucks is worse, but that bullshit that some bands try to do because they want to separate themselves from 'the pack' sometimes really just sucks, but everyone embraces it just because they 'dared to be different,' so 'it must be good.'

OrestesMantra said:
Welcome to Music Talk, im your host Linda Richman....*ahem*

Anyway, to my question: Has music hit the glass ceiling?

I don't think so, but I think the evolution has slowed. Some of it started in the 80's when "shred" was huge. Players became so good at their crafts, it was just about physically impossible for the human hands to create anything much more technically challenging.
The 90's really hammered the metal evolution with so many fusion type bands. So many different "styles" of metal started appearing from the mid 80's - early 90's, that they had to come up with sub-genres, then bands began fusion between the sub-genres.

The basic band nowdays consists of: Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Drums, and sometimes keyboards. Using these instruments, musicians have created untold amounts of sounds, rhythms, melodies, harmonies, beats, etc. Like it or not, the majority of music is not creative.

The majority of music is not creative only in the sense of chords played (there are only so many combinations of notes out there) and the combinations of the chords into progressions (again only so many sound good together.) Phrasing, tone, and texturizing all factor into music as much as the notes themselves. If you give Yngwie 10 notes to play, give Akerfeldt the same 10 and give the same 10 to David Gilmour, you will get three completely different sounding pieces from the same ten notes.

Musicians re-use the same riffs, the same drum patterns, the same vocal harmonies etc etc etc. The only difference his speed, timing, lyrics(which are often not creative either), etc etc.

I don't think so. There is such a great amount of technique involved in playing musical instruments at a top level, that the better songwriters and technicians will rise to the top of the heap and sound fresh whether they are playing a chord progression that has been played similarly before or not. Music is an artistic impression and quality artists are going to put their own touch on the music they create.

Now the whole point of me telling you what you probably already know is to get to my main question: How much farther will music evolve?

"Metal" is only about 30 years old. Hell, Rock and Roll is only about 50. I just don't see metal music waining anytime soon.

What more is there besides vocals, drums,stringed instruments and electronic/keyboards?

There is more, but I doubt most of the other instruments out there will play any more than bit parts in metal music. Because of it's ability to create chords, and it's expressiveness, other stringed instruments like violins, violas etc. could pop into metal, but I still don't think it will be commonplace.

Are we done inventing musical devices and sounds?What is left besides re-hashing and genre hybrids?

I don't really know what is up next for guitar technology or synth technology, but chances are, there will be new toys for everyone to try out. Re-hashing is part of music. It is true for any art form. There are only so many words that go together and make sense, so poets are limited as well.
Genre hybrids will be big for a long time because that is how much of the modern forms of music came about in the first place. Often these bands that use fusion don't come about because the members are "trying" to be different but because they have influences from different styles of music and they combine elements from these influences. It is these bands that will create great music. The one's that try to combine two styles of music just because they think it might sound cool or because they think it may sell albums may not get the same results.

Discuss.

Bryant

Bryant said:
...........Bryant

You made alot of excellent points, thank you. I can easily see what you were saying about how good musicians make simple chords,etc sound 10x more expressive just by a little layering, texturing, etc. Hip hip hurray for metal:p

Metal has hit somewhat of a standstill as far as creativity goes, but not totally. There are still high quality bands cranking out classic records, namely Kamelot and Opeth, to name a few. I would like to see more bands write really long songs, like maybe three twenty minutes songs on one album. Or maybe a band will just write one sixty minute song, my guess is it will be Opeth or Sun O))). Also, bands should start utilizing more saxophone leads, because they definitely kick ass. What are your thoughts about drum machines? While this is a totally cheating method of producing high speeds of drum material, no one can doubt their effictiveness in profiency. What will the next step be? Guitar machines? Computerized vocals designed to grab these huge high notes? One can just wonder at the musical possibilities technology will give creative metalheads.

I think cybergrind is going to become something very very special and get real big..that is when it becomes a little more refined. I think cybergrind has tons of room to progress.

MetalHeadNate said:
I would like to see more bands write really long songs, like maybe three twenty minutes songs on one album. Or maybe a band will just write one sixty minute song, .

Edge of Sanity ~ Crimson(40 minutes)
Green Carnation ~ Light of Day, Day of Darkness(60 minutes)

Both masterpieces.

p.s. Swano is working Crimson II! *splooge*
jawdrop.gif

OrestesMantra said:
Edge of Sanity ~ Crimson(40 minutes)
Green Carnation ~ Light of Day, Day of Darkness(60 minutes)

Both masterpieces.

p.s. Swano is working Crimson II! *splooge*
jawdrop.gif

I had never heard of those songs before. Thanks man, I'll be sure to check them out.

OrestesMantra said:
You made alot of excellent points, thank you. I can easily see what you were saying about how good musicians make simple chords,etc sound 10x more expressive just by a little layering, texturing, etc. Hip hip hurray for metal:p

Why thank you. I was just doing my job at being long-winded. >:p~ Artists are going to find ways to make their work unique even though they use the same medium as many other artists. There is only so much you can do with charcoal and canvas so there will always be something "similar" out there that is created with charcoal and canvas, but the top notch artists create more depth, warmth, technique etc. in their works. Using distorted guitar and huge drum sets are simply the medium the metal music artists work with.

Bryant

Gallantry over Docility said:
I don't want to come across as some deluded fanboy, but I really do believe that Opeth are incredible. I've never got into any album as much as I've got into all 7 of their releases.

is this still the case nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.