Has the forum outlived its usefulness?

lasercd

Man Behind The Curtain
Dec 26, 2002
www.lasercd.com
The traffic on all forum based sites has diminished tremendously. Most fans have migrated over to Facebook and actively participate on genre specific groups. There is actually a Laser's Edge page on FB - doesn't get a tremendous amount of traffic but some.

Other than a handful of people (and I mean 5 or 6 people at most) that still actually post here, I notice that the threads seem to get some level of views. So other members are looking but not posting. Lurkers have value to me.

The forum doesn't cost me anything so I can leave it up but I still patrol it. The question is - does anyone still care if its here or not? If the answer is Yes you should try to be a bit more proactive. At least give me feedback and let me know what is relevant to you. It seems at this point it's simply "Hey Ken are you going to stock this?". That's OK - it provides a useful feature and a reason to keep the forum up and running. If the answer is No then perhaps its outlived its usefulness.

Thoughts?

Ken

The traffic on all forum based sites has diminished tremendously. Most fans have migrated over to Facebook and actively participate on genre specific groups. There is actually a Laser's Edge page on FB - doesn't get a tremendous amount of traffic but some.

Other than a handful of people (and I mean 5 or 6 people at most) that still actually post here, I notice that the threads seem to get some level of views. So other members are looking but not posting. Lurkers have value to me.

The forum doesn't cost me anything so I can leave it up but I still patrol it. The question is - does anyone still care if its here or not? If the answer is Yes you should try to be a bit more proactive. At least give me feedback and let me know what is relevant to you. It seems at this point it's simply "Hey Ken are you going to stock this?". That's OK - it provides a useful feature and a reason to keep the forum up and running. If the answer is No then perhaps its outlived its usefulness.

Thoughts?

Ken

Im on the Forum & the site all day from 5:00AM to 2:00PM .The Forum is getting quite slow, but I do ask if cds are going to be stocked (when I get an answer), I would like the forum to stay, because I bought tons of cds over the last 12 or 13 yrs.. from other people asking or what they are listening to.. Lasers edge is the last of the sites ive been dealing with..Its a great tool for me IMO...Ken Golden & Greg Walker & thats it for me.......

Im on the Forum & the site all day from 5:00AM to 2:00PM .The Forum is getting quite slow, but I do ask if cds are going to be stocked (when I get an answer), I would like the forum to stay, because I bought tons of cds over the last 12 or 13 yrs.. from other people asking or what they are listening to.. Lasers edge is the last of the sites ive been dealing with..Its a great tool for me IMO...Ken Golden & Greg Walker & thats it for me.......
Bob

I will always answer if I know and if its relevant. If you ask me about an Inside Out title or something that has been on the website for 6 months I won’t respond.

I know you check the forum often but at the end if the day its just you and Sal using it you can just email me and ask.

I’m trying to determine if there is a pulse out there.

Honestly, almost the only reason I check this forum is for the "will you stock this" thread..... Not only is it a useful interaction for questions I have, but I've seen new releases I didn't know were even coming get mentioned so I can add to my own radar.

I still use the Perpetual Motion board regularly, so if that thread could be embedded over there I'd use it instead, but whatever works out best for you..... I'm flexible. Facebook is OK, but I don't recall the last time I even saw something from Lasers on there.

Honestly, almost the only reason I check this forum is for the "will you stock this" thread..... Not only is it a useful interaction for questions I have, but I've seen new releases I didn't know were even coming get mentioned so I can add to my own radar.

I still use the Perpetual Motion board regularly, so if that thread could be embedded over there I'd use it instead, but whatever works out best for you..... I'm flexible. Facebook is OK, but I don't recall the last time I even saw something from Lasers on there.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLasersEdge/

Maybe I haven't post much recently but I check this forum everyday.

I already have a personal page, created by me the way I like, 5 years before facebook existed. Facebook is at the opposite of what I like about a personal page, It makes no sens for me to the create a facebook page. I can elaborate further on this but this is not the point of the subject of this thread.

If this forum disappears, I will be able to read the facebook page without a facebook account, but there is always an annoying login window that keeps appearing. I will not be able to post on the facebook page.

I think it's normal that the "Will you stock this" is the most popular subject. You are a store. Maybe I should post more about the music itself like I did for example about the neo-prog style long time ago. I have a tendency to post on Larry's board for the music itself. You are there anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: lasercd
I'm also in the camp of solely using the forum for the "will you stock this" thread. It's nice having a direct line to the store to make suggestions and recommendations on things to carry. I rarely post but I check the forum and website daily.

In all honesty, I haven't been on the forum that frequently in the last few years. I tend to check it once in a while just to see if anything of interest has been posted. That said, I'm on the Laser's Edge site every day to hunt for new musical treasures. As my collection has grown, I have naturally slowed down and refocused my new music acquisitions. Over the last 4-5 years, Ken has been the source of 80%+ of all the new music and re-issues that I've picked up... :)

Thanks, didn't know about the facebook page (even though someone apparently tried to get me to see it before). I like to check the will you stock, but sometimes my notifications get messed up or I miss one.

On this forum I pretty much just check out the "Can you get this?" thread. Would those type of inquiries be appropriate on your Facebook page?

I do not have a Facebook (or any social media) account, so forums remain important to me. Having said that I have not posted here for quite a while, but I continue to lurk. I am a less regular visitor these days because, living in the UK, the cost of mailing stuff to be from the US is now crazy, so tend to feed my CD habit (I still buy over 200 CDs a year!!) from other sources, unfortunately. Apologies Ken!!

I do not have a Facebook (or any social media) account, so forums remain important to me. Having said that I have not posted here for quite a while, but I continue to lurk. I am a less regular visitor these days because, living in the UK, the cost of mailing stuff to be from the US is now crazy, so tend to feed my CD habit (I still buy over 200 CDs a year!!) from other sources, unfortunately. Apologies Ken!!

Tell Me about in...:erk:

I don’t post often, but I love the “will you be stocking” list. I actually saw someone ask about Wilderun and really was hoping you would stock it. At the time you answered ‘not stocking’ but I see you changed your mind. Bought myself a copy because its a Fantastic album!

I don’t post often, but I love the “will you be stocking” list. I actually saw someone ask about Wilderun and really was hoping you would stock it. At the time you answered ‘not stocking’ but I see you changed your mind. Bought myself a copy because its a Fantastic album!

Ha, yeah, I was the one who asked. Since Ken wasn't stocking it, I ordered direct from the band. And then it showed up after all!

Reactions: Prog_Rocks
I bought tons of cds over the last 12 or 13 yrs.. from other people asking or what they are listening to.. Lasers edge is the last of the sites ive been dealing with..Its a great tool for me IMO...Ken Golden & Greg Walker & thats it for me.......
شقق للبيع في اسطنبول

Last edited:
I check the site a couple times a day, and occasionally post. I like the "Sea of Tranquility" thread to keep up on those videos.