Have a listen and enjoy the TOUGHNESS!

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Here is my latest mix and this time around I tried using the Criminal on pod farm. This was my first time using the Criminal and i kind of like it! Also I used snare 20 from slate and blended in 11a just under it and I went for a Meshuggah Obzen snare sound. That real pop/crack (overcompressed) sound. Anyways give me your thoughts on this mix....

Edit:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/610605/Sentinal Final.mp3

Damn, pretty good pod sound. I could never get anything out of the criminal but this sounds pretty fucking br00talz.

edit: 2nd listen, damn... awesome song!

Well, great songwriting and cool vocals! What tune are you in gtrs F? The whole mix sounds aggressive and serves the song VERY nicely, snare has a great pop and is definetly the best part on the drums, drums sound like million else but fuck it, whole thing kicks ass so what am i whining. Guitars sound fucking great to this style. Geez.

how the f*** did you get this awesome sound??

my pod never wants to sound like this... ;)

would you mind posting some details 'bout mixing?

grim

Well, great songwriting and cool vocals! What tune are you in gtrs F? The whole mix sounds aggressive and serves the song VERY nicely, snare has a great pop and is definetly the best part on the drums, drums sound like million else but fuck it, whole thing kicks ass so what am i whining. Guitars sound fucking great to this style. Geez.

Nope tuned to g and this was my first time working with the Duncan Blackouts! I did not like them at first because there real low mid driven. I always liked the high mids the emg's 81 or 707 had. Needless to say with a little freq cut at 700hz they fit in the mix just perfect.

I made the guitarist step up his string gauge as well to keep some tension on such a low tunning. We had to set up a custom string setup for this to work right... I cant recall what guages it ended up being but we had to but a set of strings and then a few individual strings. I tracked this like a month ago so i forgot the details.

how the f*** did you get this awesome sound??

my pod never wants to sound like this... ;)

would you mind posting some details 'bout mixing?

grim

Just used my digi002 mic pre into Pod farm plugin. High pass at 70hz and low pass at 12k. Then i scooped a bit of 700hz and thats it! I also was running the tube screamer in front of the Criminal amp. Nothing magic really.....

Well the Finalizer is kind of magic!!! :heh:

Oh i forgot to add....

In the end its 4 guitar tracks (well 5 with lead) but the other 2 rhythms are the Diamond Plate mixed in like 4db down to give it that big epic ending! The rest of the song is only double tracked.

awesome tones dude. I had some success with the criminal too and then kinda forgot about it. this makes me wanna go back to it and give it a try. Can you tell us how you went about doing the bass? cuz that's definitely half the battle

awesome tones dude. I had some success with the criminal too and then kinda forgot about it. this makes me wanna go back to it and give it a try. Can you tell us how you went about doing the bass? cuz that's definitely half the battle

Bass was Sansamp and i did some eqing to fit it in the track. I had to cut a bunch of 1.5k and then a low pass at like 4-5k rolling off the highs. Then i used a L1 to take the peaks and kind of keep the bass in place. Then i used a c4 taming like 80hz-200hz and thats it really.

sansamp
Q8 eq
L1
C4

I like to try and keep my mixing some what simple.

Agreed. Its very flat and digital :/

actually, i wonder how something on the internet could not sound digital?! ;)

i think some professional impulse responses instead of the pod-farm-intern-cab-modelling could also fix the fuzzyness and the "digital sounding"!

would be interesting to hear both a reamped version and one with some impulse responses..
(not telling which is the modelled one and which is the "analog trve" one ;) )

let's see how many guess right..