Have trouble finding gas in Atlanta?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
As much as I love those, we can't let this forum dive into HC status :lol:

facepalm.gif

odd that SC had no shortages that i noticed... i had a full tank rolling into atlanta on thursday and that lasted till i left SC on monday all the way thru va. thankfully.... i wouldnt wish this nightmare on anyone..

I got gas yesterday at the shell station on Indian Trail. They were limiting you to only $30 worth of gas and you had to go in and pay for it even with a credit/debit card.

Yep, I got gas there on Sunday on the way home, $25.00 worth (which filled me up, my car only has an 11-gallon tank anyway). A loaded fuel tanker rolled up while I was fuelling, so they might be a good bed in the future.

Had to wait about 15 minutes to get gas, and the line when I left had backed up onto Indian Trail.

$4.19 for me, too.

There is still very little fuel in Barrow County and reportedly almost none in Winder, the county seat. One station here in Auburn now has gas, which is an improvement from none (for the last week). No gas at I-85 and Hamilton Mill either; both the QT and the BP there have been dry for nearly a week.

Gee, now that the situation appears to be easing, here's an awesome website for finding gas nationwide:

Wright Express Fuel Price Mapping

It works by tracking gas purchases by anyone using a Wright Express fleet card, and the transactions are logged into a near real-time database. Last night, I was able to see that someone had purchased regular unleaded at a QuikTrip near me about 4 minutes prior...so you can see if a station near you has gas Right Now. :kickass:

EDIT: looks like someone bought gas about 3 minutes ago at the QT at I-85 and Hamilton Mill Pkwy...which is good to see, since they haven't had so much as a gallon in almost a week.

What exactly is the cause for the gas shortage in the south here? I'm in CT, and prices have dropped over a quarter a gallon in the last 3-4 weeks. I fully expect to be paying over $4/gallon as soon as the election is over.

What exactly is the cause for the gas shortage in the south here? I'm in CT, and prices have dropped over a quarter a gallon in the last 3-4 weeks. I fully expect to be paying over $4/gallon as soon as the election is over.

lol

The reason for the shortage here is that after Hurricane Ike, Colonial Pipeline -- which runs from the refineries in the Texas/Gulf States area -- was operating at vastly reduced flow. That pipeline terminates in Doraville, Georgia, which is a major distribution center for petroleum to several states.

The problem specific to Atlanta is that the EPA requires us to use a special 'boutique blend' of fuel (no sulphur, I think) during the summer months to allegedly combat air pollution...and supplies of it were still short. The EPA relaxed the requirement temporarily, which is why we've begun getting better fuel deliveries here. Now, it's more of a nuisance than a severe outage, and things should be back to normal within a few days.

Quote of the day: "If you're enjoying paying high prices for gasoline, thank an environmentalist." :lol:

I got gas yesterday at the shell station on Indian Trail. They were limiting you to only $30 worth of gas and you had to go in and pay for it even with a credit/debit card. At $4.19 a gallon I got just a bit over 7 gallons. Funny they don't want people going to the stations and topping off but when you go to fill up you can't. I had just under 1/4 tank and was hoping to fill up to last me the next 2 weeks. Now I'll be looking for gas again next week and they say this shortage should last a few more weeks. Just sucks.

Wow, Kim... you did better than I did as far as the price. I paid $4.69 a gallon!! But I did get to fill up and fill that tank up to bring home to James. Cost me about $60 all together. Looks as though it's starting to get better, though. Finally some stationas around us are starting to have gas again.

Quote of the day: "If you're enjoying paying high prices for gasoline, thank an environmentalist." :lol:

Where I live in Virginia, I'm just north of a demarcation line where we need to use a specially blended gasoline - again to reduce polution. If I just cross the county line to the south, gas is usually 5 cents cheaper per gallon (sometimes more).

I won't drive out of my way to get the cheaper gas, but if I'm on the other side of town where gas is cheaper, I'll go ahead and fill up there. :)

There are rules, and ways to get around the rules! :lol:

heh, for the same reason, if I'm going up to Tennessee, I'll 'forget' to fill up here (which is my first automatic reaction when considering a long trip) and then fill up after I get there. The run takes a little less than half a tank, or about 4 gallons for my car.

At one time, gas was cheaper here than in Tennessee, but now, due partly to state taxes and also to 'boutique blend' requirements, it's the other way 'round.

The nationwide price 'temperature' map shows an unusually reddish Southeast...it's very odd to see California, undisputed king of the high gas prices, at a 'cooler' temperature than Georgia. :erk: