Have you heard this Evanescence band?

Steven

Jun 20, 2003
Visit site
Their success proves one thing: the major label Corporate dickheads DO, in fact, pay attention to the underground metal world!

Case in point: Evanescence's WHOLESALE ripping off of Lacuna Coil's sound (which was repackaged for mainstream America in even accessible form!). They really have copied L.C., down to the vocal harmonies (some of these are EXACT rip-offs), the girly singer's "lustrous" black hair, the 'duelling' male vocals... Only thing is, a bunch of inbred hicks from Arkansas will never look as slick as a bunch of Milanese! :Smug:

This strikes me as so contrived as to be almost impressive, from a business standpoint. Almost. You can just see the suits in some boardroom going over Lacuna Coil's sales figures and saying "Hey! We can do that! Just soften things up, water them down, and presto! 80,000 records sold becomes 4 million records sold." Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
Is there no integrity left in this world? (That was a redundant bloody question!)

All this cynicism and anti-musical malevolence... sheesh!
Fuck it. I'm going into a field and listening to Steeleye Span.

well. I reckon they are talented. but they dont seem to really make use of em talents in the right way. about lacuna coil. i dont know if they really heard them before they did ther thing (american band, why copying a rather 'unsuccesful' band, mind they are signed by a major (BMG?)). but its fucking sure LC earns it more then evanescense.

but again im quite sure theyre talented, and I hope they will ever make a killer album.

i saw evanescene on tops of the pop two days ago, that was pretty ridiculous. it was all miming and the singer has a pretty shit voice, almost running out of breath like [altho it was miming haha] and they had all this cheesy background stuff, candles, spider webs etc, that was pretty horrible aye.

yeah, probably that was the song from the spiderman movie ('bring back to life' or sth). they have good bits though. really.

oh, mind the 'bits' :erk:

I heard them on the radio the other day, ' Perfect crossover between Lacuna Coil and Linkin Pork, they'll make beaucoup dollars !! ' I thought ...

thats from the daredevil movie, not the spiderman one. and i dont like L'a Qu'une Couille either.

cedarbreed said:
I heard them on the radio the other day, ' Perfect crossover between Lacuna Coil and Linkin Pork, they'll make beaucoup dollars !! ' I thought ...

I heard there was a American Lacuna Coil Band selling albums like metallica :tickled: and thought what the f*ck !! Lacuna Coil is doing that music, later listened some tracks and there are some good ones, if I can't hear Lacuna Coil here in the comercial radio, well we have a Evanescence track (the numetal one) playing on radio, its the only one that has male vocals and that numetal :ill: sound..
but they are not the bad I thoght they were :cool:

what I now is that probably Lacuna Coil is touring U.S. with Type O Negative.. not Evanescence :D :D

Italy : 1 , U.S.: 0 :wave:

Fallen is a great album, there are only male vocals in one song...When i think of nu-metal I think of some shmuck rapping to groove laden guitars. Evanescence has more melody in both both guitar lines and vocals (not nu-metal) and yes, i prefer Lacuna Coil but I think Evenescence make use of their sound in a different way.

why should one try to rip-off lc? are they (lc) supposed to be good or something? gimme a break...

insidethefall said:
Fallen is a great album, there are only male vocals in one song...When i think of nu-metal I think of some shmuck rapping to groove laden guitars. Evanescence has more melody in both both guitar lines and vocals (not nu-metal) and yes, i prefer Lacuna Coil but I think Evenescence make use of their sound in a different way.

exactly right insidefall. i really enjoy this album i have it in my rotation. i do feel their demos were much darker than what the final product was. doesn't mean its bad, just different.

Sol,
The thing is with L.C., they are really on the rise within the underground- especially in the U.S., getting REALLY popular by underground standards. But they will never break out of this, I don't think- but still, if a band on an independent label sells 100,000 copies of an album with no radio play, no MTV, no 14-year old brats in Middle America putting the band's poster up on their bedroom walls, believe me, the Sonys, Epics, and Atlantics of the world will take notice and try to replicate it to a much higher (i.e. commercially viable) standard.
Bastards. They ruin EVERYTHING.
I have no real hatred for Evanescence. They're just this week's puppets.
Hey, I'd play the 'game' too if I could make million$ at it. I just wouldn't pretend to be a musician making music that counted for shit. :Smug:

I saw them at RaR, and honestly i have to say their performance for a newcomer, in front of 80000 people was enjoyable. The singer did very good job, for i think her voice not that bad. About the album, i like some of them songs on it, haven't really listen to them much often. "Hello" is a really nice song though, me fave of 'em!

If I found out that they wrote all their own stuff then I'd respect them more than I do. Point is I dont know either way, but at the moment I'm a little cynical as to the writing credits at the moment

well, they do i guess. the singer plays the piano as well, so i guess they write theur own stuff....

but people. its NU-metal. not only the song from the dare-devil movie (yep mehd youre right). Saying its NU is not meant to say theyre bad. (many people make this conclusion like NU=shit/ or even its shit; so NU :lol: )

They sound nothing like Lacuna Coil. Nothing whatsoever. That's like saying that Lacuna Coil is just like The Gathering because the lead singer is a chick.

What's more, is that they are coming from two different backgrounds; the chick from Evanescence is classically trained...Cristina Scabbia has never had any training and is a natural talent. Plus, let's face it...American metal is completely different from the metal in other parts of the world. I'm sure that mainstream metal bands, if there is such a thing, in America don't even fucking know who L.C. is. I'm American and I live in Italy at the moment, so I see all of these bands and shows that happen all over the country. It's two different worlds. So saying that Evanescence is ripping off L.C. is like saying that L.C. is ripping off The Gathering. It's a moot point, and what evidence do you have to back this up? They don't sound ANYTHING alike, they don't look anything alike, and Lacuna Coil's music is more...I dunno...cultured than Evanescence. I don't think Evanescence is bad, in fact I think they are pretty good...but definitely out of the league of albums like Comalies.

Also, nu-metal isn't "new metal". This band has no attributes of nu-metal whatsoever. If anything, it's just hard rock with pretty harmonies. They don't sound like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Chevelle, Powerman 5k, or any of those no-talent ass clowns. People are calling it nu metal because it's "new", and it has some simple riffs in it. Lacuna Coil is fairly new; only about 10 years old. They have simple riffs. Are they nu metal? No. But why? Because they are on an independent label? So in effect, the only way to stay "tr00" is to stay on an independent label, right? Bullshit. Nu-metal is defined by the type of music, not by the fucking label you're on, or how popular you are. Opeth might be underground, but they are popular as fuck in the states. I know nu-metal posers who listen to Opeth, so are opeth nu-metal now that they are popular? Of course not. Also, do you think that the major labels are the only ones wearing suits and working the bands over for money?