having trouble getting the drums to cut through....

melovine

Feb 10, 2009
its SD 2.0, a mesa dual recto two channel running out of the fx loop send using recabinet 2.0 and DI bass through a Chameleon labs 7602

would really like some opinions on this, im rather new to mixing and need tips and pointers

Last edited by a moderator:
i did parallel comp them with the logic comp maybe im not setting it right though :/ thanks for the complement on the guitars too! i am really loving running out straight out of the pre.

ok so at the moment i usually get everything (drums, guitar, bass, ect...) at -2db is this going to be a huge problem in the end for me?

Just turn everything down so that you aren't too close to peaking at the 2Buss. You want to leave plenty of headroom on the 2Buss so you don't have build up issues, and when you get around to mastering it, it can be done properly. Sounds to me like the guitars have a lot of low/low mid content that is eating up the mix. Same for the bass, quite a bit of mud in there. I'd clean up that mud in the bass and guitars, turn the overheads (all cymbals) and the guitars and bass down.

That should be a decent starting point. Might not hurt to put a nice compressor on the 2buss to glue who whole mix if you haven't done so.

Sounds great man. Just turn your guitar and bass down to let the drums punch through. If your guitar and bass are hitting -2dBFS then there's no room for the drums to punch above that.

ok so another amature question, im using Ozone to master it, if im not getting a good volume out of the mix after dropping all of the levels to leave head room what route should i take? revist the mastering settings? or try a whole different angle on the mastering?

thanks! ill turn the overheads down a bit more and see what i come out with, im still not feeling the drums are as present as id like them to be though, am i being over analytical or do they still seem pretty buried?

also, great tip on the drums being at -18 and guitars at -16, any tips on bass level? i always seem to over compensate on the bass volume

Equal to lesser power on the bass. I have mine almost 3 dB less than guitars in a lot of places. What monitors are you using? I hear plenty of thud out of your drums.