Pre production mixes, A.D + 6505, please have a listen!

Potshot

Aug 26, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
Harro everyone, I have just uploaded a couple of tracks I've recorded recently for a local band Dyscord (http://myspace.com/dyscord)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=934905

Everything was done pretty quickly as they had a bit of a deadline to get them sent off to their manager who is shopping certain bands around to labels.

As such didn't have time to record acoustic drums, so used Addictive Drums and afterward their drummer turned up with a cd having mic'd his hat and cymbal and recorded those at his place so I dropped them in to the mix instead of using the AD ones. Otherwise guitars are double tracked on each side, one take through a 6505 on lead channel with an MXR GT-OD in front, and the second take through a Dual Recto 2 channel, also with the MXR in front. Cab used was a Mesa oversize, with one SM57 on axis and one Rode NT55 on axis which sits fairly low in the mix.

All the rhythm guitars were tracked using an LTD grynch with EMG 81 in the bridge, the solo parts on a Caparison Dellinger HGS.

Bass was a Musicman Stingray, and done through a Warwick Quad VI head with a Sansamp PSA-1 in the fx loop, DI'd out of the head to my interface and then through Ampeg SVX software just for the speaker emulation.

Vocals were tracked with an AT2020 and I used an SE Electronics Reflexion Filter as well.

This is also the first thing I've done using my new Onyx 800r preamp rack, into my new M-Audio FireWire 1814 I purchased as my Motu 828mk2 died on me a few weeks ago, turns out it's a rather awesome little unit, and fairs much better playing back a heavily loaded project than the Motu did so I might sell the Motu once I get it repaired :)

Comments, critique, etcetera are extremely welcome, please have a listen and share your thoughts!

music is not quite my piece of pie, but production wise it is very clean. The snare that is used sits ok in the mix, but I would try another snare something like sonor tuned a bit higher to around 300Hz to cut through.

pretty nice.... i agree, the kick is lost. The bass slap was annoying me too. maybe bring more highs in the snare? other then that good!

I am totally digging these tracks. The sounds on them are great.

I actually love this band. I supported them with one of my bands in Newcastle at a show where Daysend were supposed to be playing but their car broke down so it ended up with Dyscord being the headliners.

They were awesome guys, and had to use our gear because they couldn't cart their stuff to Newy from Perth.

Thanks for the feedback and comments guys, I've adjusted the mixes a bit, brought the kick level up, reduced the ryhthm guitars a tad and removed a fair bit of the grind from the bass, overall I think it sounds a lot more balanced now, same link at top if you wanted to listen again.

Cheers!