Need fresh ear! Real drums (Pearl Reference), real mic'd guitars (Mesa Dual Recto)

Apr 30, 2012
Indonesia
Here's some clips:

I kinda stuck at this point. Still not 100% satisfied but can't find anyway that I should do. So I need some pair of fresh ears to help me before I send to client.

As far as information that I've got from recording session:
Drums are Pearl Reference Kit with some Zildzian, Sabian, Paiste, and cheap Stagg cymbals mic'd with SM57 on SD Top an SD Bottom, Audix D6 on KD in, some condenser (not sure the model) on KD out, MD421s on toms, a pair of tiny AKG mic (again, not sure the model) on OH, and Rhode NT-1 for mono room. On this mix, I blend kick with Slate kick 2 and my own custom sample. Also on snare I blend with Sneap snare and tiny bit of paramore snare for enhance the crack. Toms is blend with Sneap toms.

Guitar used are custom PRS copy with EMG81 straight through maxon od808 in front of Mesa Dual Recto then going to Mesa 412 oversize cab mic'd with SM57 and MD421. On this session, I blend the original mic'd amp with DI (POD Farm 2) for more in-yr-face sound.

Bass used are custom built with ash body and maple neck fitted with active pickup through Mesa bass amp and cab (can't remember the model, again, I'm sorry) and DI that I process with Pro Tool's SansAmp PSA plugin.

All vocals are recorded with NT-1. Everything is recorded to SSL Alpha pre and Lynx Aurora19 converter.

Any comment would be much much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drums sound decent, bass sounds cool, but the guitars need more dimension and depth, less of that 800hz i think, they seem disconnected from the rest, in my opinion ofc ;)

Drums sound decent, bass sounds cool, but the guitars need more dimension and depth, less of that 800hz i think, they seem disconnected from the rest, in my opinion ofc ;)

Thank you very much, I get it!

The original mic'ed cab sounds muddy, maybe the mic position I dunno. I've already suck it out 500-800hz area. Perhaps I should suck it more. Anyway, how about the vocals?

Thanks for comment, once again.
:headbang:

I think the clean vocals are too dry and could use some more reverb. Also some nice delay automations could make the lines more interesting.
Besides when the harsh vocals come in together with the cleans the harsh ones are too low in volume and they do sound like they are whispered. They really need more work.
Or maybe it's on purpose? I don't like them either way, haha...

I think the clean vocals are too dry and could use some more reverb. Also some nice delay automations could make the lines more interesting.
Besides when the harsh vocals come in together with the cleans the harsh ones are too low in volume and they do sound like they are whispered. They really need more work.
Or maybe it's on purpose? I don't like them either way, haha...

Great! I will take a look at that.
Thanks for feedback!