having trouble getting the drums to cut through....

im using KRK 8's i guess the tone isnt my issue more so how prominent it is in the mix, im really into deftones/sludgy mixes

thanks! ill turn the overheads down a bit more and see what i come out with, im still not feeling the drums are as present as id like them to be though, am i being over analytical or do they still seem pretty buried?

also, great tip on the drums being at -18 and guitars at -16, any tips on bass level? i always seem to over compensate on the bass volume

Mix sounds pretty good to me. If you have a decent car stereo, jam the song in there to reference the bass/kick. I always listen to Gojira's Oroborous and then my song to get an idea of roughly where I'm going wrong hah.

ok so i doubled the snare with a different snare in SD2.0 and i think it helped a bit also redid the bass mix, opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it sounds great, now. The snare is way better, and the pumping almost works for the vibe of the track.

thanks alot man! everyones tips really helped me carve out what i was hearing in my head, ive got a hell of alot to learn.

You never stop learning, man. Never. And I think that's a great thing! It keeps it interesting and engaging.

I had a good friend of mine run the track through his API 2500 and this was the result...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8643460/tgu.mp3

After listening to the track with out the master i realized i have the kick and snare to high, so i remixed it and were going to run it through the API again tonight and hear the difference ill post it once it get it, opinions?