Having trouble getting vocals to sit in the mix

3tuxedo

Apr 2, 2011
Hey guys, I'm having a realy tough time getting the vocals to sit in the mix in general. I have a pretty deep notch cut out around 2-4khz in the guitars and cymbals for them to sit in there and they sound out of place. I can't figure out if I'm compressing them wrong or what but they are either too quiet or way loud. Thoughts?

Sounds like the vocals could benefit by using a doubler, to get a more in your face sound. Maybe try creating two track of the same wav file and keep the original track and make one with the doubler and maybe try to tune the vocals down on that track to make it sound that there's multiple takes. You could also use some other effects (distortion) to make it sound different from the first track. I used this method on Above the Broken track since the screams were weak as fuck in that song, and it helped some :)

hey there! distortion always makes some weak sounding screams a little bit better.

imo you should track the bass, fit them in the mix and then do the vocals again.

what signal chain do you use on the guitars? pickups?

xx

I'm with you both about the distortion, but imo they don't sound weak, as much as they don't fit. Gujukal, your idea is pretty good for blending them, i'll try that.

Yeah bass tracking is today, guitar in this song is a B.C. Rich with some better pickups he put in, idk what kind. Signal chain is > DI box> Presounus Firestudio Tube> Cubase> Pod> Eq> C4> L1