Tips for getting vocals to "sit" in mix.

csholtmeier

Mar 10, 2007
Omaha, NE
I'm finishing up a mix for a friend's band. I've remixed the whole thing after convincing them to trigger the drums.

The instrument side of the mix sounds great, it has a really cohesive and solid feel to it now.

I'm having problems with the vocals now. No matter what I've tried, they just seem to sit on top of the mix.

It's a rock band with kind of high pitched vocals.

Examples are here: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=114697009

I still struggle with vox but I'm getting better results with the following:

EQ => cut some lowmids, boost high mids/, boost highs
Bus with delay and verb on it, route some vox to both of them.

Don't make the vox too loud in mixing stage, solo the guitars and vox and make the vox track just a tad louder than the guitars then put the rest back in and see where you have to finetune the volumes.

Paracomp vox with bass/bassdrum/snare.

Hi,

I just listened to "Never Dream Again" and the mix sounds nice, but you're right about the vocals. IMO the biggest problem is the vocal reverb you're using. It's way too obvious and doesn't sit with the mix. Somehow it also makes the vocals sound as if they were panned a bit to the left, which sounds really really weird and distracting to me when listening with headphones. Sounds to me like you're using some kind of room reverb? Try making the lead vocal a bit more dry and "in your face" and try use 2 different reverbs. 1 longer (small hall) which is very low in the mix and one very short which is louder(maybe some kind of "vocal booth" -type of room reverb). Also don't try to make the lead vocal too wide. Be careful with stereo widening effects. Use them very moderately on lead vocals or the l/r balance might start sounding weird. Are you using any delay on the vocals? I always use a short delay with fairly low feedback. This way the "tails" of the words always sound smoother to me and it also helps to make the vocals to sit more naturally in the mix.

I also think a little master bus compression (about 2db reduction) always really makes the vocals to sit in the mix a lot better. Ssl master bus compressor type compression almost always works for me :).

Hope this helps at all...

My settings always depend on the song. First of all, you should naturally use a delay time according to the tempo of the song. This way it sits in nicely. Then try shorter and longer times (quarter note, half note, whole note etc.). Sometimes longer times actually sound better to me. It always depends on the song. Usually with faster sung vocals, I use shorter times and with slower vocals longer delay times sound better. I usually use mono delay for the main vocals (massey td5 tape delay is really nice). if you're using windows and a vst host try this: http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-delay.php . Use the delay so that it's not really audible in the mix. Don't use too much feedback. About 13/100 is where I usually start at.

Well, since you've mixed the insturments first, it might be hard to fit the vocals in. You might want to try mixing the vocals first then everything around them if you're still having trouble. My usual chain is SSL Channel Strip>R-DSer>Delay>Reverb. For the delay try putting 1/4 and 1/8th notes and use a nice room verb.

I just listened to Never Dream Again, and the problem is definitely in the singer. He over emphasizes every few words making the vocals sit ok every few words and then jumping out of the pocket every so often. I haven't listened to see if there is a pattern to the inconsistency. If there is then ride the fader to even it out as much as you can. Then compress. If there isn't a pattern to his madness then I'd use a chain of several compressors each knocking off a few db so you don't end up with a pump-y vocal but you still end up leveling it like a mofo.

The vocal sounds pretty bright on the headphones that I'm listening to, and almost harsh. (I am listening on headphones mind you). Maybe add a little distortion...very little...to make the vocal a little more pleasing (people love distortion) and it'll help level the dynamics.

His dynamics are very uneven, I'm trying to even him out in Melodyne right now.

Then I'm thinking RVox into SSL Channel Strip is what I'll try next.