Hawk wants to see your 10 favorite albums of 2003!

Liquid Tension said:
I'm glad that you like them Hawk and I wish you luck finding the disc.

I have a question about your #1 band since I have listened to the song Sun Caged. I was wondering if this is a good indication of how the disc sounds or are there better songs?
Like Demonspell said. Yes, hat song is a good indication and yes there are better songs on the album.

1. Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll
2. Rage - Soundchaser
3. Adagio - Underworld
4. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
5. Helloween - Rabbit Dont Come Easy
6. Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
7. Blind Guardian - Live
8. Edguy - Burning Down the Opera

I know the last two are live albums but I ran out of good studio albums i bought this year :p

In no particular order:
1) Behemoth- Zos Kia Cultus
2) Sonata Arctica- Winterhearts Guild
3) Dimmu Borgor- Death Cult Armageddon
4) Old Man's Child- In Defiance of Existance
5) Edge of Sanity- Crimson II
6) Nevermore- Enemies of Reality
7) H.I.M.- Love Metal
8) God Dethroned- Into The Lungs of Hell
9) King Diamond- The Puppet Master
10) Poisonblack- Escapextacy

1. Greg howe - Extracction (kickass fusion shit)
2. Adagio - Underworld
3. Nevermore - Enemies of Reality
4. COB - HCDR
5. DT - Train of thought (yeah yeah, i like it)
6. Evergrey - Recreation Day
and Allan Holsworth - ALl Night Wrong (I havent actually heard it yet, but Allan is god!)
.....and then some othres.

I'm not seeing enough Adagio's!?

LOL.....oh well I responded to this topic in the Sun Caged forum already (Hawk.....lol) so I am not listing again....

8 APC - the Thirteenth Step
7 Dimmu Borgir - Deathcult Armaggedon
6 Iced Earth - The Reckoning
5 Blind Guardian - Live
4 Symphony X - Live on the Edge of Forever
3 Kalmah - Swamspong
2 CoB - HCDR
1 Stratovarius - Elements pt 2

not necessarily in order of likeness, but just order i rememberd them in

Seventhson724 said:
8 APC - the Thirteenth Step
7 Dimmu Borgir - Deathcult Armaggedon
6 Iced Earth - The Reckoning
5 Blind Guardian - Live
4 Symphony X - Live on the Edge of Forever
3 Kalmah - Swamspong
2 CoB - HCDR
1 Stratovarius - Elements pt 2

not necessarily in order of likeness, but just order i rememberd them in
Live on the Edge of Forever came out in like 2000 or 2001 or something, also, the new Iced Earth comes out this month (Jan 04').

1. Astriaal - Renascent Misanthropy
2. Adagio - Underworld
3. Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality
4. Children Of Bodom - Hatecrew Deathroll
5. Rusty Cooley - S/T

i probably did screw up on the SX, but The Reckoning came out like 2 or 3 months ago i believe, its just like something to hold everyone over, i think its 4 tracks, with the new singer, but it was definately a 03' release

Ultimate_Symphony said:
1. Astriaal - Renascent Misanthropy
2. Adagio - Underworld
3. Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality
4. Children Of Bodom - Hatecrew Deathroll
5. Rusty Cooley - S/T

I don't get why people are so into Rusty Cooley. I think he's way overrated. Everyone says that he's different from all the shredders and makes his songs melodic and interesting, but I don't see it. I guess I'm just not into the recent shredders. I think guys like that belong in power, prog, or death metal bands.

I'm a shred fan :loco: I really liked the album, so to each his own. I do admit that if I had bought more albums last year it probably wouldn't be on my top 5.

symphonyXjapan said:
Live on the Edge of Forever came out in like 2000 or 2001 or something, also, the new Iced Earth comes out this month (Jan 04').
Yes, but I think he was referring to the Iced Earth single. The album is called The Glorious Burden.

Platinum Maze said:
Yes, but I think he was referring to the Iced Earth single. The album is called The Glorious Burden.
Oh ok, I knew it was just a demo of the new album coming out, but I forgot the actual album had a different title.

Serge... said:
I don't get why people are so into Rusty Cooley. I think he's way overrated. Everyone says that he's different from all the shredders and makes his songs melodic and interesting, but I don't see it. I guess I'm just not into the recent shredders. I think guys like that belong in power, prog, or death metal bands.

I kind of agree with you. Although I must admit that Rusty Cooley, while I don't like his music at all, is fucking impressive from a technical point of view. Anyway, there are scarier ones, as I define chops more as total control over the instrument, what to me means being able to play any groupings of notes that come to your head without being limited to certain patterns you repeat all the time. To me, players who have really mastered that would be Frank Gambale, George Bellas, Allan Holdsworth, Greg Howe, Stochelo Rosenberg etc. They just have a technical command over the instrument that allows them to combine any type of lines they want without being physically limited.

Anyway, back to the topic - there weren't even 10 albums that came out that I liked this year, so I'll just go with albums I bought this year, but of which some came out earlier:

1. Greg Howe - Extraction
2. Adagio - Underworld
3. Martyr - Warp Zone
4. Dream Theater - Train of thought
5. Theory in practice - The Armageddon theories
6 Vinnie Moore - Mind's eye
7. Rosenberg Trio - Live at the north sea jazz festival
8. Frank Gambale - Live
9. George Bellas - Turn of the millennium
10. Angra - Rebirth

Hawk said:
Liquid Tension

I am checking out Taal. Sounds very interesting!! I am alway's curious when I see a band in a number 1 position I never heard of :)

I will look out for the album. Thanks for the hint :)
Maybe you're not interested, but whatever :) I saw Taal live, a long time ago on a prog rock festival in France, when I knew nothing about Prog. I thought they were cool, bought the their cd called mister green and because of them I began to search other prog bands that were way cooler (I thought) than Taal. So I found out about Symphony X what is my favourite band. But now, after a long time, I see a post on the Symphony X forum where Taal is at number 1 in someone's list. Funny to see :) I'm also checking out their new cd :)

SaTriaNi said:
Maybe you're not interested, but whatever :) I saw Taal live, a long time ago on a prog rock festival in France, when I knew nothing about Prog. I thought they were cool, bought the their cd called mister green and because of them I began to search other prog bands that were way cooler (I thought) than Taal. So I found out about Symphony X what is my favourite band. But now, after a long time, I see a post on the Symphony X forum where Taal is at number 1 in someone's list. Funny to see :) I'm also checking out their new cd :)
Of course I am interested! :) Funny how your opinion about some bands can change through time. Still even if I don't like to listen to a band for some time, the moment comes when I play them after a looong time and I am wondering why I don't don't play them more. :lol:

At the moment I am playing Krokus - Metal Rendez-Vous. I had not heard that album since the early 80s. They bumbed me out when they stared playing bad AC/CD like songs :erk:

Anyway It's nice to heard this particular album again. :D