Hawkwind

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Hey guys, as a motorhead fan I'm ashamed to say I've never heard HAWKWIND. Wasn't Lemmy in the group for years? What are the albums he plays on in case I can track them down? Are they any good? I heard it was more "psychedellic" stuff than metal. GREENO or SWINE, I'm sure you guys have heard them...whattaya think?

tedvanfrehley said:
Hey guys, as a motorhead fan I'm ashamed to say I've never heard HAWKWIND. Wasn't Lemmy in the group for years? What are the albums he plays on in case I can track them down? Are they any good? I heard it was more "psychedellic" stuff than metal. GREENO or SWINE, I'm sure you guys have heard them...whattaya think?
Lemmy appeared on Doremi Falsol Latido, Space Ritual, Hall of the Mountain Grill, and Warrior on the Edge of Time. I have never heard them, nor do I know where to find them, but I hope I helped you anyway!

I have some of their stuff on a disc somewhere around here...
I can't say it was great. You can however, find some of their stuff on the double disc anthology that Sanctuary Records issued in 2001(?). I think it has Hawkwind doing Motorhead & maybe another track. I would get classic Motorhead instead. I don't know if the box set has Hawkwind stuff on it, I imagine it does?

unless you like it a bit pschycadelic i wouldnt bother tvf.its definatly not what you would call normal rock or metal.very spacey-i've only heard a few tracks mind,but a few of my friends are into them(one used to play in a band with the singer a few years ago).they are rather odd,to say the least.
do what the swine suggests and go with the older motorhead,its much better
SHOOT TO KILL YOU KNOW THEY ALWAYS WILL,ITS A BOMBER!!!!

tedvanfrehley said:
Hey guys, as a motorhead fan I'm ashamed to say I've never heard HAWKWIND.

Same here TVF. I've always wanted to hear them but it's not something you find every day in used shops.The only Hawkwind song on the new boxset is "Motorhead" if I remember right, been reading allot of reviews trying to decide if I want to drop some money on it.

The Motorhead is a tough sell. I love the band, but from what I have seen there's probably very little on there that I don't already have. Like last weekend, I picked up the No Remorse double disc version that has Lemmy doing a couple of tracks with that skank Wendy O. Williams....

Hakwind is the ultimate space rock/acid prog outfit. Along their extensive discography the most constant has been its leader Dave Brock, but Michael Moorcock (the later sci-fi writer, who also co-wrote some B.O.C songs ) was also in composition in the beginning.

Lemmy was the bass player after John A. Harrison left in the early 70's. Lemmy was fired when he was kept by custom officials at the Canadian border (drug smuggling) and when he got back they already has a new bass player (Paul Ruldoph I believe). Lemmy went on to fame in Motorhead, a group name after a Hawkwind song he wrote and recorded for them.

Arjen Lucassen is a huge fan of them to the point he succeded in having David brock singing in the Hawkwind medley of Star One - "Space Metal" which comes in the special 2CD version.

Hawkwind (71)
In Search of Space (72)
Doremi Fasol Latido (72)
Space Ritual (73)
Hall of the Mountain Grill (74)
Warriors on the Edge of Time (75)
Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music (76)
Quark, Strangeness, and Charm (78)
25 Years On (78, released under the name Hawklords)
PXR5 (79)
Live '79 (80, Live)
Levitation (80)
Sonic Attack (81)
Church of Hawkwind (81)
Choose your Masques (82)
Zones (83)
Stonehenge/this is Hawkwind Do not Panic (84)
Chronicle of the Black Sword (85)
Space Ritual Volume 2 (85)
Live Chronicles (86, Live)
Out & Intake (87)
The Xenon Codex (88)
Stasis - The U.A. Years 1971-1975 (90)
Space Bandits (90)
Palace Springs (91, Live)
Electric Teepee (92)
It is the Business of the Future to be Dangerous (93)
Solstice Mixes - Spirit of the Age remixed by Astralasia (93)
The Business Trip Live (94, Live)
Alien 4 (95)
Love in Space (96, Live)
Distant Horizons (97)
In Your Area (98, Live & Studio)

If you don't like early 70's progrock or space rock, then you won't like Hawkwind. If you are searching for some more mellower sounding tunes than the rawness of Motorhead the group, then check em out. Hawkwind are not the best of the early 70's progrockers, but they are good. I prefer Camel and King Crimson, then Uriah Heep and Hawkwind, then there are the more commercial groups like Yes, ELP, Mody Blues.

Wyvern said:
Hakwind is the ultimate space rock/acid prog outfit. Along their extensive discography the most constant has been its leader Dave Brock, but Michael Moorcock (the later sci-fi writer, who also co-wrote some B.O.C songs ) was also in composition in the beginning.

Lemmy was the bass player after John A. Harrison left in the early 70's. Lemmy was fired when he was kept by custom officials at the Canadian border (drug smuggling) and when he got back they already has a new bass player (Paul Ruldoph I believe). Lemmy went on to fame in Motorhead, a group name after a Hawkwind song he wrote and recorded for them.

Arjen Lucassen is a huge fan of them to the point he succeded in having David brock singing in the Hawkwind medley of Star One - "Space Metal" which comes in the special 2CD version.

Hawkwind (71)
In Search of Space (72)
Doremi Fasol Latido (72)
Space Ritual (73)
Hall of the Mountain Grill (74)
Warriors on the Edge of Time (75)
Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music (76)
Quark, Strangeness, and Charm (78)
25 Years On (78, released under the name Hawklords)
PXR5 (79)
Live '79 (80, Live)
Levitation (80)
Sonic Attack (81)
Church of Hawkwind (81)
Choose your Masques (82)
Zones (83)
Stonehenge/this is Hawkwind Do not Panic (84)
Chronicle of the Black Sword (85)
Space Ritual Volume 2 (85)
Live Chronicles (86, Live)
Out & Intake (87)
The Xenon Codex (88)
Stasis - The U.A. Years 1971-1975 (90)
Space Bandits (90)
Palace Springs (91, Live)
Electric Teepee (92)
It is the Business of the Future to be Dangerous (93)
Solstice Mixes - Spirit of the Age remixed by Astralasia (93)
The Business Trip Live (94, Live)
Alien 4 (95)
Love in Space (96, Live)
Distant Horizons (97)
In Your Area (98, Live & Studio)
Damn, nice list!:worship: