HD147 owners, let's talk tonez!

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So I got my HD147, and I have to admit, I'm somewhat disappointed by it - people talking about it sounding way better than a Pod, and how the Criminal model is incredible and such, both of which I've found to not be the case (at least for me, the criminal model is too nasally and overgained for my tastes, even with the gain down). However, it's ONLY gonna be my live amp, and I've already gotten useable tones out of it; so far, actually, I'm really liking the Diezel Herbert (Deity Red Mode), which figures, cuz it was my favorite on the pod, and actually, Line 6 Purge (Insane Red Mode) is really good too; sounds way more like a Rectifier than any of the Rectifier models do IMO! I don't think Purge is on the pod, which is a pity - the manual describes it as a hot-rodded JMP preamp, but whatever you wanna call it, I dig it!

So what're your guys' favorite models? Right now, I'm going through each one and dialing it in as best I can, then saving that as the default, so I can compare the best settings on each amp to decide which I like best. A very exhausting process, though... :erk:

It's been a while since I did any tone edits on mine, to be honest I'm not even sure what models I am using on my main patches. I think I'm using the Dual Rec model mainly, after a brief run with the Criminal but I am not even sure... I will investigate soon.

It's a great amp live through a 4x12. Not as crazy about it direct.

Yeah, I'm willing to deal with the still perceptibly digital tone for the sake of an amp with built-in EVERYTHING (including tuner) and one-button patch switching, though I'll be running it through my old Mesa vertical 2x12 halfback for the sake of portability (and I've already gotten some good tones out of it, it has V30s at least!). Maybe it's dependent on the cab, but I found the Dual Rectifier (Treadplate Orange mode) to be unbearably fizzy regardless of settings, but the Triple Rectifier (Treadplate Red) is like 4 billion times better to my ears, very similar to Line 6 Purge (Insane Red mode), but a bit boxier (though I need to experiment with re-tweaking now that I've got my perfect Purge patch, to compare which I like better once and for all).

Line 6 Purge (Insane Red Mode) is really good too; sounds way more like a Rectifier than any of the Rectifier models do IMO! I don't think Purge is on the pod, which is a pity - the manual describes it as a hot-rodded JMP preamp, but whatever you wanna call it, I dig it!

That model was my favorite, back when I fought every single day to get a good direct tone from their gear. A TS in front and it should work just fine.

Yeah, my only criteria for a good live tone are that it punches/cuts through the mix and that it doesn't sound harsh (which is often the case with SS power amps, I've found, but I think this one has enough headroom that it won't be an issue). I would really love it if some other company would make a high-end digital amp with all of the built-in features of Line 6 amps, just with a more up-to-date modelling engine :erk:

I guess my best bet (down the road, when I get more money, cuz I got this thing for $480 shipped :D) would be to get this and stick Wagner on it, then run it into a power amp (cuz an AxeFX is WAAAAYYYYYY outta my price range :))

Yeah, especially cuz it's only supposed to be like $600-$700! (which for something that can load ANY VST's is a steal IMO!)

well Peavey is supposed to be coming out with an modeling amp. dont think its out yet, but the Vypyr looks like its supposed to compete directly with Line6. Not sure how high end or successful their take on tones will be. wish they had some sound clips up :(

Meh, I heard the Vipyr at NAMM, and wasn't at all impressed - sounded like any other harsh digital modelling amp to me...

$480 shipped is a sweet deal on that

i've really wanted to try an hd147 for a while now, but i've never seen one at any line 6 dealer, i suppose you have to buy one if you wanna hear it...i really don't get why they didn't make this amp more accessible, because i've heard great things about it

The Peavey Vyper smokes all other modelling amps out there. I own the 30 watt combo and it really sounds great. There's a few bugs in it, but they are supposed to be providing a firmware update soon to fix the issues.

$480 shipped is a sweet deal on that

i've really wanted to try an hd147 for a while now, but i've never seen one at any line 6 dealer, i suppose you have to buy one if you wanna hear it...i really don't get why they didn't make this amp more accessible, because i've heard great things about it

Yeah, it's funny how it seems to really get lost between the Flextone and Vetta amps - I dunno, I think it's a bit overrated in my experience thus far, but I haven't played a show with it yet, so when I crank it up and hear it in a live environment maybe its punchiness and headroom will make me look past its hideously digital Line 6 sound :erk:

The Peavey Vyper smokes all other modelling amps out there. I own the 30 watt combo and it really sounds great. There's a few bugs in it, but they are supposed to be providing a firmware update soon to fix the issues.

Hey, I'll believe it when I hear it! Gotta find a place to try one out...

i wish peavey had put out a vypyr head, it really doesn't make sense that they don't offer one

our local GC only carries the spider and spider valve amps...the big one in atlanta has the spider, spider valve, and vetta II

Yeah, it's funny how it seems to really get lost between the Flextone and Vetta amps - I dunno, I think it's a bit overrated in my experience thus far, but I haven't played a show with it yet, so when I crank it up and hear it in a live environment maybe its punchiness and headroom will make me look past its hideously digital Line 6 sound :erk:

Hey, I'll believe it when I hear it! Gotta find a place to try one out...

All the models sound great, particularly the Recto, XXX, Krank. The issues with the amp are: The internal noise gate makes a weird high frequency squeal afer muting notes on some of the high-gain models. The noise isn't very loud at all, and extremely short, but it's pretty annoying, but the Recto and Krank models don't exhibit it too bad. According to Peavey, it's a by-product of the A/D and D/A conversion going on in the amp. It's really bad on the 6505 and JSX models. The other issue is sometimes when you power it on, it doesn't boot properly...turning it off and back on resolves the issue. Both of these are going to be fixed with the firmware update. I talked to Peavey support, and they said that the code is written, they just have to add some security features to it before it's released.

I don't plan on ever playing live or recording with mine, but it's hard to beat as a bedroom practice amp. I'm really in love with the Recto model, and I actually own a real Dual Rectifier. The layout/controls are great. Also, it has the best headphone out that I've heard on any amp.

Definitely worth checking out.