Head and cab in the weather?

Aug 6, 2006
If I was to leave my cab in a storage unit that is NOT climate controlled would the extreme heat and/or cold cause any issues or damage with the speakers and or wiring?

I can not stand lugging my shit up and down 3 flights of stairs for each show!

Thanks.

Yes. And if you get lucky and it doesn't effect it you got really really lucky. It may not cause it not to work... but it could effect the sound it produces... especially if its a tube amp. I wouldn't suggest it but I understand not wanting to lug it around.

Just to add to that. No the tubes will be ok the solid state well might be corroded if there is moisture. remember tubes are called vacuum tubes because they're vacuum sealed.. But who knows i might get ripped into again by a bunch of teenagers about this but yet i can built a tube amp alone. Dood issue is cosmetic. Hot or cold. whatever. Playing at different temperature might effect it big time. But it is wide to keep it at a decent temp. you're gear is ok. I have had all sorts of guitar players bitch at me about shit and i want to slap them. First educate yourself in electronics. But your stuff is ok...

Just to add to that. No the tubes will be ok the solid state well might be corroded if there is moisture. remember tubes are called vacuum tubes because they're vacuum sealed.. But who knows i might get ripped into again by a bunch of teenagers about this but yet i can built a tube amp alone. Dood issue is cosmetic. Hot or cold. whatever. Playing at different temperature might effect it big time. But it is wide to keep it at a decent temp. you're gear is ok. I have had all sorts of guitar players bitch at me about shit and i want to slap them. First educate yourself in electronics. But your stuff is ok...

It's time for the teenager to rip into you again.

A tube amp and a solid state amp will have the same problems with moisture and temperature differences. Additionally, if the tubes are heated and cooled rapidly, the glass might crack, allowing air inside the tube, which will cause it to fail.

That said, unless you're going from extreme heat to extreme cold very quickly, the amp will almost certainly be fine, regardless of it being tube or solid state.

It's time for the teenager to rip into you again.

A tube amp and a solid state amp will have the same problems with moisture and temperature differences. Additionally, if the tubes are heated and cooled rapidly, the glass might crack, allowing air inside the tube, which will cause it to fail.

That said, unless you're going from extreme heat to extreme cold very quickly, the amp will almost certainly be fine, regardless of it being tube or solid state.
Im tired of your cocky arguments.. Personally your statements are stoopid and uncanny. I'm sorry man but you have no experience in anything. Prob just information that your daddy gives you. Just like the bpm shit. hey man i can play guitar riffs at 400 bpm. I hate your shit. You are way to into yourself. get a life already.. you are not as good as you think and your guitar sound isn't all that great. get your ass out of your head smartass...

Im tired of your cocky arguments.. Personally your statements are stoopid and uncanny. I'm sorry man but you have no experience in anything. Prob just information that your daddy gives you. Just like the bpm shit. hey man i can play guitar riffs at 400 bpm. I hate your shit. You are way to into yourself. get a life already.. you are not as good as you think and your guitar sound isn't all that great. get your ass out of your head smartass...

:lol:

i like you matt but, for that symbiant... :kickass:

i like you matt but, for that symbiant... :kickass:

Are you supporting Symbiant there? His pathetic attempt to "own" me?

I didn't think this was necessary but I guess I'll have to respond to it fully.

Im tired of your cocky arguments..

Cocky arguments? Such as? Please post examples of these "cocky arguments".

Personally your statements are stoopid and uncanny. I'm sorry man but you have no experience in anything. Prob just information that your daddy gives you.
a) Stoopid... right. I think everyone can take that seriously. Uncanny... Do you even know what the means?
The Dictionary said:
un·can·ny (n-kn)
adj. un·can·ni·er, un·can·ni·est
1. Peculiarly unsettling, as if of supernatural origin or nature; eerie. See Synonyms at weird.
2. So keen and perceptive as to seem preternatural.
Your accusation of "stoopid, uncanny" statements is bizarre. You're trying to insult my intelligence, because I disagree with you and prove you wrong? I don't even know where "uncanny" comes from, unless you're trying to compliment me as "keen and perceptive".

b) My dad doesn't know anything about music. Good try though! You claim I have no experience... That's funny because I could have sworn otherwise. I've been playing music for ~5 years, 3 of those have been with a gigging band. I've recorded two demos with bands, and two demos for my solo project. Not including bands I am in, I've produced two metal bands, a rock band, and a punk band. I don't have as much experience as a lot of people, but I'm hardly some bedroom hack.

Just like the bpm shit. hey man i can play guitar riffs at 400 bpm.

Ahh, the bpm argument again. Great.

Here's some simple math for you to work your head around. All these assume 4/4 time signature.

I play 16th notes ( 4 notes per beat, in case you need a little theory review ) at 100 bpm. This is the same thing as playing 8th notes at 200 bpm. Here's the proof:

4 notes per beat and 100 beats per minute = 400 notes per minute
2 notes per beat and 200 beats per minute = 400 notes per minute

So logically, you could play quarter notes ( 1 note per beat ), at 400bpm, and it'd be the exact same as the previous two examples.

Do you get it now? Or do you need me to draw you a picture?

I hate your shit. You are way to into yourself. get a life already.. you are not as good as you think and your guitar sound isn't all that great. get your ass out of your head smartass...

Ok let me try to approach this seriously...

Sorry, I just can't help myself. This is beyond crazy. You don't like my music? Ok! Fine with me. Why don't you, or more specifically, what don't you like about it? I appreciate constructive criticism, and if there's something you don't like about it I'd love to know so I could avoid making these mistakes again in the future.

As far as the rest of that quote is concerned... It appears to me you are just trying to say random things that are considered "insulting". Meanwhile you completely botch the whole process. "Get your ass out of your head!"? :lol: Come on man, basic grasp of English. The phrase is, "Get your head out of your ass". "Get a life"? Pathetic.

Is that the best you can do? Some broken English and petty grade school insults? An empty jab at my music and production skills?

Get the fuck out of here. You're a joke.

both of you, this is kind of unseemly. To be honest I'm with Matt on this, because Symbiant is the one who made this personal. Also, because Matt's music is a lot better and he knows what he's talking about. But seriously...so far the musician's forum hasn't really needed moderation, but at this rate it really will.
As to the question, I'm by no means an expert but I would say that exposing something like an amp to any sort of extremes is generally a bad idea and should be avoided if possible.