Headbanger's Ball "I'm kind of shocked!"

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I have never and I mean never watched more that two videos on the Headbanger's Ball since they brought the show back, that is until this weekend. For some reason I wanted to record it, so that I could fast forward through all the crap. Much to my surprise they played some pretty good stuff. They played the new videos from Shadows Fall, Trivium, and Megadeth, which isn't surprising. What shocked the heck out of me was them running Metal Church's new video "The Mirror of Lies". Does anyone know if they have played that before? Plus they played Kiss' "I Love It Loud" and Black Sabbath's "Neon Knights". I didn't find it odd for them to play those two either, but the Metal Church video was a curve ball!

~Brian~

When was it on this weekend? I thought it was on on friday nights, but apparently they have moved it or I just forgot it was on. I was going to watch it, but apparently I don't know when it's on anymore.

I have never and I mean never watched more that two videos on the Headbanger's Ball since they brought the show back, that is until this weekend. For some reason I wanted to record it, so that I could fast forward through all the crap.
I have a season pass set up on my TiVo. I watch it... or should say, fast forward through it, every Sunday morning.

Much to my surprise they played some pretty good stuff.
The selection has improved over recent months.

What shocked the heck out of me was them running Metal Church's new video "The Mirror of Lies". Does anyone know if they have played that before?
At least the 3rd time I've seen that video on there. Kind of a strange selection, given it's not a good song and Metal Church is hardly either an up and commer or a big name.

As for Power metal, they've also played videos by Dream Evil, Hammerfall, Cellador, Firewind and of course DragonForce.

Zod

At least the 3rd time I've seen that video on there. Kind of a strange selection, given it's not a good song and Metal Church is hardly either an up and commer or a big name.
Zod

Well, I'm a Metal Church fan, but I agree with you about them not being an up and coming or a big name band. I would've never guessed that MTV2 plays a new Metal Church video. If that's the case, they need to play videos by all kinds of veteran bands. Jon Oliva's Pain being one of those!

~Brian~

When was it on this weekend? I thought it was on on friday nights, but apparently they have moved it or I just forgot it was on. I was going to watch it, but apparently I don't know when it's on anymore.

It comes on Saturday nights at 11:00 PM and stays on until 1:00 AM EST. If I'm not mistaken that's the same time slot the original HB use to be aired in.

~Brian~

It comes on Saturday nights at 11:00 PM and stays on until 1:00 AM EST. If I'm not mistaken that's the same time slot the original HB use to be aired in. ~Brian~

and now that the SNL season is over, I can start TiVO'ing the Headbangers Ball and zipping through it over the following week like I do with Metal Mania.

:headbang:

Havent watched it in eons...does Jasta still plug his lame-o side projects every 5 seconds and his clothing lines?

I do remember seeing the funniest video ever awhile back on the Ball. It was an 80s hair metal collaboration w/ DIO, Halford, Dickinson, Geoff Tate, and bunch of other random 80s hair guys....cant remember the name of it but it was phenomenal.

Can you only TIVO one at a time? I know DVR you can set two shows to record at most but you have to watch one of those two if you want to watch cable. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with SNL. Anything good shows up online the next day. It hasn't been worth watching in some years (oddly enough, around the same time Jimmy Fallon became a main cast member)

I do remember seeing the funniest video ever awhile back on the Ball. It was an 80s hair metal collaboration w/ DIO, Halford, Dickinson, Geoff Tate, and bunch of other random 80s hair guys....cant remember the name of it but it was phenomenal.

That would have to be the Hear-n-Aid project. The song is called Stars. There was actually a 20-30 min show about the whole project. It was like farm aid or we are the world for Metal.

Jasta no longer hosts it (I don't think anyone does). They added an hour, and have definitely started broadening the base of videos to include some old school stuff and things like were mentioned above.

It's no longer an all out screamo affair, a good thing!

and now that the SNL season is over, I can start TiVO'ing the Headbangers Ball and zipping through it over the following week like I do with Metal Mania.

:headbang:

That's why the dual tuner TiVo is great. But if you setup a wishlist for Headbanger's Ball, they do replay it during the week.

I have a season pass set up on my TiVo. I watch it... or should say, fast forward through it, every Sunday morning.

Zod

How funny - I thought I was the only one who did that! I usually get one or two videos that are interesting for me to watch that way... I think about giving up almost every week, but I keep hoping that they'll introduce me to another band I'll like (it's how I "discovered" Evergrey, and the trickle-down effect led me to PPUSA.)

As for the Metal Church song, I kind of dig it... I only know one other song by them (I think it's "Watch the Children Pray" or something like that - from back in the 80's/90's.) What's something I should check check out, if this isn't one of their better songs?

I watched it this past Saturday as well and thought it was quite an improvement. They played three/four in a row without me changing the channel. Even think I saw an Alabama Thunderpussy video in there.

I have never and I mean never watched more that two videos on the Headbanger's Ball since they brought the show back, that is until this weekend. For some reason I wanted to record it, so that I could fast forward through all the crap. Much to my surprise they played some pretty good stuff. They played the new videos from Shadows Fall, Trivium, and Megadeth, which isn't surprising. What shocked the heck out of me was them running Metal Church's new video "The Mirror of Lies". Does anyone know if they have played that before? Plus they played Kiss' "I Love It Loud" and Black Sabbath's "Neon Knights". I didn't find it odd for them to play those two either, but the Metal Church video was a curve ball!

~Brian~

Believe it or not, a few weeks ago they played back-to-back Church vids. They started with The Mirror of Lies and followed it up with Children.

Since my ol' lady and I have been blessed with the almighty power of "DVR" as of recently, we decided to set Headbanger's Ball to record so we could attempt to see actual metal videos on TV (Uranium too, which is lame now we actually get Fuse). To my surprise almost everything they play now is either new fierce metal or old school thrash and traditional metal videos. I know it gears towards the growing fanbase of young kids thinking they are in 1988 (when they weren't even born in the 80s). I'm glad it does have a fair amount of actual metal, considering it hasn't gotten cancelled yet. It's good to keep around for when you are drunk and want to headbang and the ms wants to watch videos, haha :p. Cheers!!

what would be shocking is if the good music actually started getting equal exposure as the (in my personal opinion) crappy music.

then we could be shocked

As for the Metal Church song, I kind of dig it... I only know one other song by them (I think it's "Watch the Children Pray" or something like that - from back in the 80's/90's.) What's something I should check check out, if this isn't one of their better songs?

I'd start out with their new one, A Light In The Dark. They actually redone the song "Watch The Children Pray" on that disc and I think it's better in my opinion. I never was real crazy about David Wayne's voice, but I know alot of people really like him.

~Brian~

If you want some good old school stuff I always liked "The Human Factor". Early 90's release I think.....so maybe not QUITE old school heh.