Headline shows Vs. Dream Theater shows

souperdv

New Metal Member
Apr 4, 2008
Alright, so Mikael mentioned that the shows with Dream Theater would only be 6 songs, and last about an hour.

Any idea how long the headline shows will run?

I'm from Ohio, and I'm avoiding the DT shows near me, and driving to Pennsylvania to see them headline on the 15th.

CANT WAIT!!!

Dave

When I saw them headline a few years ago they played about 9 songs. So about one and a half hours of playing, plus chatting between songs and encore BS. Hopefully they play a bit longer this next tour.

Alright, so Mikael mentioned that the shows with Dream Theater would only be 6 songs, and last about an hour.

Any idea how long the headline shows will run?

I'm from Ohio, and I'm avoiding the DT shows near me, and driving to Pennsylvania to see them headline on the 15th.

CANT WAIT!!!

Dave

Expect 9-10 songs for roughly 90 minutes.

Dream theater are a mismatch of talent.The singer belongs in Journey,the guitarist belongs in his bedroom {sending shred demo's to Mike Varny-lol!}the drummer belongs in a cover band ,the bassist belongs in a jazz fusion band and the keys guy belongs in EmersonLake and Palmer or something.dream theater are about as metal as dokken are.They have absolutely no right headlining over the Gods OPETH.Between the buried and me and even 3 are more unique than dream theater.If Opeth want to tour with a decent prog band that "is" worthy of headlining over them they should call Rush{or Tool}.

Dream theater are a mismatch of talent.The singer belongs in Journey,the guitarist belongs in his bedroom {sending shred demo's to Mike Varny-lol!}the drummer belongs in a cover band ,the bassist belongs in a jazz fusion band and the keys guy belongs in EmersonLake and Palmer or something.dream theater are about as metal as dokken are.They have absolutely no right headlining over the Gods OPETH.Between the buried and me and even 3 are more unique than dream theater.If Opeth want to tour with a decent prog band that "is" worthy of headlining over them they should call Rush{or Tool}.

LOL, typical DT-bashing bullshit. If you don't like them, BIG DEAL, get over it.

For the record, Dream Theater have never claimed to be a metal band. They have elements of metal, pop, prog and ballads all woven together, and some people really enjoy that. You don't have to, that's your right.

(PS- and Petrucci does more than just shred....)

DT is okay for me. If their singer wasn't so "glam rock" I would enjoy them alot more.

90 minutes is way better than 60!

What I want to hear (not holding my breath):

Drapery Falls
Anything from MAYH
Moonlapse Vertigo
Advent
White Cluster
Ghost (they'll play that I'm sure)

I know they'll play some from the new album, but it's hard to really enjoy new stuff live when you haven't memorized the studio version....I dunno, maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm weird.

LOL, typical DT-bashing bullshit. If you don't like them, BIG DEAL, get over it.

For the record, Dream Theater have never claimed to be a metal band. They have elements of metal, pop, prog and ballads all woven together, and some people really enjoy that. You don't have to, that's your right.

(PS- and Petrucci does more than just shred....)

There is nothing to "get over".Im leaving after Opeth's set.End of story.What's next ?a tour with Asia and Journey?Opeth need to be touring with bands more of their caliber like :Agalloch,ArchEnemy,Entombed,MorbidAngel etc!!!Opeth have a small % of prog.I hear more classic rock than "prog".

The only reason I'm glad they are touring with DT is that perhaps they'll get some converts who've never heard them.

I had always hated "death" vocals until I heard Opeth (granted, the first song I heard was "Harvest", and I was intrigued enough by that to listen more...I got over the vocals with the amazing musicality).

So maybe some of those Dream Theater jocks will "come to the dark side"!

There is nothing to "get over".Im leaving after Opeth's set.End of story.What's next ?a tour with Asia and Journey?Opeth need to be touring with bands more of their caliber like :Agalloch,ArchEnemy,Entombed,MorbidAngel etc!!!Opeth have a small % of prog.I hear more classic rock than "prog".

Mike and Mike are friends, that's why they're touring together. Get over yourself and stop thinking that your opinion matters. It's great that you're leaving after Opeth's set, because Dream Theater still gets a cut of the money from your tickets.

I really hope they headline the Anthem Metal Fest that's held here on August 14th. It'd really suck to survive through an entire Within Temptation set.

Mike and Mike are friends, that's why they're touring together. Get over yourself and stop thinking that your opinion matters. It's great that you're leaving after Opeth's set, because Dream Theater still gets a cut of the money from your tickets.

You need to get over that he doesnt like DT.
He is just expressing his opinion.

Seriously, get over it.

This tour IS called Progressive Nations, right? This tour was created by Mike Portnoy. Trust me, I've been going to see Opeth since Blackwater Park, (sooner if they'd toured here before then!) and DT since the Awake album, and to me, it's better when the bands variate in style/sound. The first time I saw Opeth, they were with 6 other bands, and Nevermore headlined. The previous bands, gothic and death metal like, were ok, but it was too much of the same sound for 3 hours before Opeth and Nevermore. And a few tours back when I saw the terrible band devildriver open for them, I just went out on the balcony while their set was going on. Their suckiness made it even better when Opeth took the stage. And some of the opening bands for Dt were awful as well! I love Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Spiral Architect, etc., but it'd be hard to focus for the next band taking the stage after so much noodling. And the same can be said for Opeth. I love Morbid Angel, Insomnium, and the like, but they're better if they do their own tours. Mikael and Mike share the same love for prog...metal or rock. Especially the obscurer 70s bands.

Hey, don't worry about it. My guitarist doesn't like deathy vocals, but had to admit after years of me hanging out at his place, and upon hearing certain death bands, got used to it, and actually bought a ticket to see Opeth back on the Deliverance tour. He still doesn't like death vocals, but now admits to liking certain death metal bands despite their vocal approach.