Headline shows Vs. Dream Theater shows

Well, I think DT has done some amazing stuff. Portnoy does get a little too much like Neil Peart, but it's definitely not a bad thing (for me), as I'm a huge Rush fan as well. And yes, I think DT is metal. Remember, there are a lot of different styles/types of metal out there, and progressive metal actually has a wide range of styles. Opeth and DT are 2 totally different bands, but are both progressive metal. To say that Opeth only has a little bit of prog to them makes me wonder if I'm listening to the same band. Each album progresses immensely! They evolve with every album. Progression!! Progressive Metal!! Get it?

The only thing I'm wondering is if Opeth will do anything special for the two NYC shows, or if they plan on doing the exact same setlist. Obviously they have a few extra songs rehearsed for the headlining shows. I'm sure they'll play a few songs both nights, like what they're playing from the new album, but it'd be nice to get something different for those of us going twice.

:bah: well, according to the lopez of the mars volta, the "label" progression is arbitrary since all bands naturally progress. :bah: i'll take some tree with that sap please!!!!

True though...hmm Yeh a lot of labels piss me off these days ... there names are to vauge to describe 90% of the music categorized within em. Emo is a horrible one ... I get really emotional when I play music ... does that make me emo.. I guess so. Trance ... i've been in a trance and it doens't sound like trippy spacious techno. and techno ... christ:heh:

Metal is a good one, it doesn't describe the music it just gives a name to it's sound. I guess if you haven't heard of metal and someone tells you about the name metal then you might think of something on the stronger side.

But I mean Progressive can mean so many things and usually most "progressive" bands are none of these.

In my opinion of course

And Nicholas isn't?

I was kinda ironic with that post.
I see now that I made a mistake, I though it was another "get over it post" by NobodyImportant, sloppy reading, sorry Nicholas.
Avatars is a good thing sometimes.

But to answer your question, yes he is. But telling someone that their opinion doesnt matter is something else.

There is nothing to "get over".Im leaving after Opeth's set.End of story.What's next ?a tour with Asia and Journey?Opeth need to be touring with bands more of their caliber like :Agalloch,ArchEnemy,Entombed,MorbidAngel etc!!!Opeth have a small % of prog.I hear more classic rock than "prog".

Well, you did go out of your way to bash and slander Dream Theater, so it appears that there is something for you to get over. You don't have to like them, nobody has to, but you can just acknowledge that they're not your thing and let it go at that. There are bands that I don't like, but do I come on here slandering and deriding them? No, I can get over the fact that not everything appeals to me, and it's just a matter of taste.

I do agree, though, as I mentioned previously, that Opeth and Dream Theater are a bit of a mismatch for a tour. But, on the bright side, it may just so happen to get some Dream Theater fans turned onto Opeth who otherwise would not have been. That would be worth it, wouldn't it?

There is nothing to "get over".Im leaving after Opeth's set.End of story.What's next ?a tour with Asia and Journey?Opeth need to be touring with bands more of their caliber like :Agalloch,ArchEnemy,Entombed,MorbidAngel etc!!!Opeth have a small % of prog.I hear more classic rock than "prog".
If Opeth toured with Agalloch, I'd die happy.
As far as Headline vs Dream Theatre support, I have the option of driving about 5 hours extra to see the headliner in South Carolina, I'm debated which show I should see, that one or Atlanta with DT. Hard choice >.<

True though...hmm Yeh a lot of labels piss me off these days ... there names are to vauge to describe 90% of the music categorized within em. Emo is a horrible one ... I get really emotional when I play music ... does that make me emo.. I guess so. Trance ... i've been in a trance and it doens't sound like trippy spacious techno. and techno ... christ:heh:

Metal is a good one, it doesn't describe the music it just gives a name to it's sound. I guess if you haven't heard of metal and someone tells you about the name metal then you might think of something on the stronger side.

But I mean Progressive can mean so many things and usually most "progressive" bands are none of these.

In my opinion of course

Well I wasn't trying to go as far as "labelling", but if that's the case, then "metal" is also a label. Progressive...maybe more of an adjective. A description. Or some may go as far as LABEL. What ever. There are progressive bands and there are not. I wouldn't call AC/DC progressive, but they have millions upon millions of fans the world over. Obviously some people don't like them, but they've been around for over 30 years and still going, so they must be doing something right. Van Halen, another, although they're sounding like shit lately.

Bottom line...not all bands are progressive. But, yes, progressive is a loose term, but not quite a "label".:zombie::zombie::zombie:

hmmm yeh it's all too much for me really... so im just gonna shut up and enjoy what I enjoy and call it Glen music because I like it... if I like a bunch of bands than they are under my category

Well I wasn't trying to go as far as "labelling", but if that's the case, then "metal" is also a label. Progressive...maybe more of an adjective. A description. Or some may go as far as LABEL. What ever. There are progressive bands and there are not. I wouldn't call AC/DC progressive, but they have millions upon millions of fans the world over. Obviously some people don't like them, but they've been around for over 30 years and still going, so they must be doing something right. Van Halen, another, although they're sounding like shit lately.

Bottom line...not all bands are progressive. But, yes, progressive is a loose term, but not quite a "label".:zombie::zombie::zombie:

The wrong band is headlining.Think about it,who's latest record{or even t-shirts} will sell more Opeth's or dream theater's?OPETH!!!By several thousand's.dreamtheater's glam/prog sound just dont gel.That's the problem with Opeth is they usually don't tour with very good bands.

I honestly think people should make their judgements after seeing the show, thatis, if they decide to go in the first place. Like mentioned above, it could turn some Opeth fans on to DT, and vice versa. i guess you really never know unti you experience. I haven't seen either one live yet, but I like both bands. Between the Buried... and 3, I've never really listened to. So, can't make that judgement, although nobody really seems to care about these bands at the moment.

The wrong band is headlining.Think about it,who's latest record{or even t-shirts} will sell more Opeth's or dream theater's?OPETH!!!By several thousand's.dreamtheater's glam/prog sound just dont gel.That's the problem with Opeth is they usually don't tour with very good bands.

You're a dumbass if you think Opeth outsells DT in anything. And I'm not a DT fanboy...just the facts.