Headphones

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
I need a good, fairly expensive pair of headphones for studio use.
I need headphones that are completely neutral, as in not having any added EQ like extra bass or whatever.

Whattaya you's use?

I have tested and heard much good from Sennheiser HD 550/600/650, but I personally prefer AKG k-701. AKG k-601 is also pretty ok. Those AKG ones sound much brighter and have less low end than Sennheiser ones.

I have 2 pair of headphones. Sennheiser 650, not any good to mix with but my favorites when recording vocals. I think the other couple is a cheap HD300 or something like that. They are awesome. When i listen with those the mix should just sound awesome if it is a good mix. And they are really revealing if the highbass frequency's are a bit exaggerated which are a nice complement to my Hs80's which are a bit scooped at those frequencys.

But i would never rely 100% on headphones when i mix. Need monitors for that.

No headphones are even close to neutral.
If you spend beyond £250 on a set of cans then you'll be hitting fairly consistent reproduction, but it won't be flat. I personally recommend the Senn 600s/650s but they're not to everyones taste.

Try a few sets out and see what your ears make of them.

I bought some Beyerdynamic 770 Pro's recently. Incredible bass response and clean mids and highs, they are the best headphones I have ever had. 5Hz - 35000Hz response.

well since you're looking in the fairly expensive region...

Grado GS1000

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Statement-Series-GS1000i-Headphones/dp/B001BIQROS[/ame]

Fairly expensive pair? Sennheiser HD800. In theory, should sound much flatter than the aforementioned Grados.

Fairly expensive pair? Sennheiser HD800. In theory, should sound much flatter than the aforementioned Grados.

FWIW, a mastering engineer that lives near me and has mastered albums for The Black Keys amongst other big names, uses the Grados as a reference for his mastering...

Hence the "in theory" : I've never tried them and they are surely wonderful headphones, but I've never heard mention of any Grado headphone being flat (or rather, flat enough for mixing and mastering applications). Taste in headphones being seemingly even more subjective than monitors, best thing to do remains to try some.

http://head-fi.org could help you a bit OP

I've searched a fair bit but not heard anything beat the ATH-M50s. Especially not for the money.

Are the Grados really good cans, or are you just paying for the wank factor?

They're good. At least, IMO. I can't dish out the cash for those. I have the much lower end SR80's. But I love them. Though, they had to be broken in a bit first.