Headphones: Mixing?

MKS

May 24, 2005
Ok, I know it's not a good idea to mix with headphones but for the next 6 months I don't have much of choice.

Are there any headphones worth of mixing? I bought some $70 fostex phones and they sound horrid.

i use headphone for mixing as i dont own a pair of monitors
i use the beyerdynamics dt-911 (and formerly dt-800)
my problems are:
i usually dont end up with enough treble in my mixes when i listen to them on speakers
and i cant control the bass i cant hear it very good at all
usually around frequencys under 600hz

I have quite a few phones and none touch the 701. The imaging is very wide and deep. The bottom is punchy and the top is very smooth but neither is hyped.

I promise you won't regret this headphone. Note though it's an open back so isolation is minimal. Also the breakin time is pretty long.

kp-

I love mixing with headphones!.. as i have no privilege to crank up the music even at a small volume level, and i work mostly at night. i can only recommend to A/B a lot with some pro mixes..

I can only use headphones because the speakers I have aren't made for audio monitoring - they're gaming speakers - and I don't have the money for monitors.

That said, I don't have money for $500 headphones, so I just compare parts of my tone to those on pro recordings through the same headphones, which gets me into the ballpark and since I hate mixing all I have to do is try and line up the tracks and send it off to MP3.

Jeff

if you have no choice but to use headphones, strap this little plug at the end of your chain on the 2buss.. No controls, it just does what it's supposed to.

http://refinedaudiometrics.com/products-hdphx.shtml

From the site:
"We use our HDPHX plugin routinely when mixing with headphones. It takes advantage of the Haas Effect to provide a delayed and attenuated cross-channel mix in each ear to present the sound that would be heard with a stereo speaker system with speakers placed at +/-30 degrees azimuth from front-center."

I've mixed some stuff through it w/my HD280's and when listening back on my monitors, it didn't turn out too bad, give it a try.

oh, and it's FREE.

Charlie

I use the Sennheiser HD280 pro headphones (as CJWall mentioned) for all my mixing. They are good enough til I can afford real monitors. my comp speakers are good (klipsch), but not THAT good. I find that these headphones give a good amount of isolation (though I haven't tried the AKGs mentioned already). they are also very comfortable. i'm also gonna try out that plug in, but i can get the general idea of how something is going to sound by plugging in the headphones and then unplugging them and listening through the speakers.

I am mixing on headphones, too. If you take time to callibrate your ears by listening to lots of music through them you wont have a problem. I have AKG K240S. It's, like... standard. You can always go better so if you have money Sennheiser is the way.