Heads up....NEW SM57 for $45 shipped!

Why is that???

I just ordered one.
1. I Payed with paypal
2. Seller has 100% positive feedback
3. Heck, I have 14 days to return it.

Worst case I'm out a few bucks to ship it back if its a dud. I'll send the seller a nice email to inform him/her that I will be closely inspecting it to ensure authenticity.

First of all, didn't you find it kinda strange that the majority of the description was talking about a 58?

Also, 57's are well known for being counterfeited and sold on ebay. They look almost identical, too, but aren't using the same components.

I guess it is quite possible you are correct. I dont mind taking a chance with $45....but I will be checking its weight, resistance across pins, etc.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

I think Shure has a service where you can send in a 57 to see if it's legit. If you're worried about it you can try that. Sounds like you got it covered, though.

They do have that service in fact. They also try to take action against the seller as well. It would be worth it (to me) to send the mic to shure if this person is running a crooked business.

Here is the message I sent the seller:

I just ordered one of the Shure SM57 microphones. The price seems like an exceptionally good deal. As you may or may not know, there are an abundance of "fake" SM57's going around. Please note that I am not accusing you of selling imitation products.

Honestly, the low price of this auction does worry me a bit. Because of this I will be inspecting the microphone thoroughly to ensure its authenticity. There are many characteristics that distinguish a real SM57 from a fake one.

Once again, I am not accusing you of anything. I just want to give you a heads up that if this is "fake", I will be returning it. I understand that return shipping is my responsibility, and I am completely fine with that..

My wife ordered one as well. Needless to say, it will undergo the same inspection.

Thanks for your time.

How can they sell them that cheap?

Shure is wanting to charge me 55.00 to send a broken mic and trade for a new one. If there not fake I might just buy one instead of paying Shure 55.00 for the trade in...

these are very likely fakes. the sm57 is one of the most highly copied mics in existance. don't pay the ebay guy and instead walk into a mom and pop store and pick one up for $80. no sense on paying shipping twice to shure just to see if it's a copy, then be out of the money if it is in fact a fake.

These will be chinese copies unfortunately. I bought a chinese one a while a go for £20 to test it actually, the outputs are a lot hotter, thats one of the sure fire ways to know. You'll also see a difference in the "R" in SHURE normally. Tonally I havent really tried much with it yet though.

I realize I probaly made a mistake with this purchase. I hope that I didnt influence someone here to make a purchase that they regret.
I've been thinking....even if it is a fake, if its a decent mic for 45 bucks I cant complain!

I'll keep u posted.

I realize I probaly made a mistake with this purchase. I hope that I didnt influence someone here to make a purchase that they regret.
I've been thinking....even if it is a fake, if its a decent mic for 45 bucks I cant complain!

I'll keep u posted.

There well mate, you only do it once and its not exactly a fortune :loco: